Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Satellite Radio?

I get your point but I am moving from the city to the end of the earth in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan and the music selection is only a small portion of what satellite radio brings to the table. I didn't want to get stuck listening to the one country channel up there, now I have about ten good rock channels, all my sports radio channels, Fox news, and three comedy channels. A small price to pay when you drive 30 minutes to an hour to work everyday depending on the weather. Oh, and I get the weather channel, but I can't see listening to that.

Another small pleasure I get with satellite radio, I blocked the NASCAR and country channels today, it is hard to beat that kind of high!

Amack76, you've got some good points which I considered and weighed against my initial plunge into satellite radio. At first blush, I usually think any new technology is cool just on the merits of whatever the new magic does. But I don't run to the local store with cash in hand for the new stuff. I sit back and start looking at the feedback from the inital users, the resellers, servicers, supporters and detractors. Then I start researching my own questions and concerns before deciding for or against jumping in myself. This is how it was with satellite and eventually choosing between the two content providers.

At less than $10 a month for SIRIUS (term discount) I get to CHOOSE from 60 streams of genre specific music, not to mention stuff on the Entertainment streams. Believe me, I was very close to the MP3 option but love the auditory surprises I regulary receive on SIRIUS. The DJ's are very eclectic and know their stuff, plus are very diligent about getting the e-quests on from listeners. Plus I can get my SIRIUS streams through any multimedia PC with a simple account login. I'm wiring my new house with all-over sound that'll be fed by a dedicated music PC piping SIRIUS over the speakers. That's cool!

I agree mounting options are limited in most vehicles and divert the driver's attention from the road. My add-on system was essentially free and afforded me the opportunity to try satellite without a major financial investment. If I didn't like it I wouldn't have any permanent alterations to the VX and could eBay the antenna. $30 to replace the ECU cover and you'd never know I had satellite. While driving I use the remote as I can operate it by feel and don't need to look away from the road. That was an important feature for me as I'm very nervous about traffic distractions. But now that I'm sold on satellite I will be upgrading my sound system and will have a SIRIUS head unit, so at least the controls and display will be where the stock unit is now.

Yes, there are a myriad number of ways to have satellite in your vehicle. A little shopping and research could save 50% or more by taking advantage of rebates and specials in what is still a pretty competitive market. It has started to cool now that both providers have made their initial subscriber targets and have signed additional industry partners. Instead of getting everything but the antenna for free I now will only receive a $25 discount on the tuner with the new system. Quite a change from just a few months ago!

I originally wanted to do the in-dash DVD thing with the idea of putting MP3's on DVD for car use. I have since found that all the car DVD units only play MP3 from CD/CD-R/CD-RW. So that kinda killed that MP3 nirvana idea.

I like clean installs with a minimum of wiring and components, so a good CD/MP3/satellite receiver will keep me plenty happy. Especially with the variety and CHOICE available on SIRIUS.

Just my $.02! :winkg:
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329
    I agree.. I love the technology, and the clarity.

And XM is now playing Dr. Demento!

But I don't care for having to pay a monthly fee when you cant listen to what song you want when you want. Reminds me too much of the cable monopoly.

I know these fees are to keep sirius and XM aloft (literally and figuratively) and make a profit.
    But we already pay monthly fees for cell phones, phones, cable tv, internet... When is this list going to stop growing? (I am not including rent/mortgage, utilities or insurance - because they arent a necessity)

I am also leaning towards a hard drive based system. I would like to see in dash units that have more than 40gb drives in them. I really like the HD systems with WiFi built in, so you can send music files from your PC directly to your car in the driveway.
    ~ ~ ~
    Van Eyes - slightly trimmed, Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA head lamps, Red (port) & green (starboard) 5 LED 'headlight horn' lights, PIAA silicone windshield wipers, K&N Filtercharger (in stock air box), MacNeil WeatherFlectors, Assorted cargo nets from previous vehicles, Optima red-top battery, Transmission Interceptor, 20 LED 'light tower' turn signals & brake lights, 18W PIAA W2 running lights, Trooper skid plates, Black Luverne step bars w/Tone's custom brackets

I am not a wealthy person, but 9.95 a month? I would imagine most of us spend more on a monthly basis on coffee or lunches. Heck, use $2.50 in coupons each week at the grocery store. Believe me if you have one of these sysyems for a month you won't know how you ever lived without.

Additionally, the equipment can be had very cheap. My whole setup was under a hundered dollars (as per my choice I added a new antenna - didn't want to put the original one on the paint), and if you look for rebates you can probably get it for less than than that.

I would imagine there was a time when people made similar comments about cable tv, internet access, and cellphones.

BUT, certainly everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however, if you like variety and are in you car this is a great thing. The sound quality with radio stations is terrible and CDs are expensive and you get tired of them. And while I would love a hard drive based stereo as much as the next guy the way the RIAA is going after people, mp3s are just not worth the trouble.

And Pens, if you want, I will email you a pic of where I have my Delphi over the weekend, I'm working out of town right now. You're right it sits next to the radio (not in the way of the glove box), but I think the airbag is not obstructed. I would imagine Pro Fit made sure these things wouldn't interfere with the airbags because if someone was ever killed or injured as a result the lawsuit would put them out of business.

Originally posted by Spike

But I don't care for having to pay a monthly fee when you cant listen to what song you want when you want. Reminds me too much of the cable monopoly.
    I listen to what I want when ever I want. That's why I still have my CD changer and tape deck and AM/FM Not that I even use them anymore but I can if I want to. With XM, I am listening to all kinds of new stuff instead of the same old crap OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again !!!

I know these fees are to keep sirius and XM aloft (literally and figuratively) and make a profit.
    But we already pay monthly fees for cell phones, phones, cable tv, internet... When is this list going to stop growing? (I am not including rent/mortgage, utilities or insurance - because they arent a necessity)
    I guess I'm a hard core XM fan because I gave up my cell phone and monthly bill for it ! I never used it and was paying $30-35 a month!!! Now THAT was a waste!

Besides, they said the SAME things about records, tapes, 8 tracks, CD's & AM/FM back in the day.

I am also leaning towards a hard drive based system. I would like to see in dash units that have more than 40gb drives in them. I really like the HD systems with WiFi built in, so you can send music files from your PC directly to your car in the driveway.
    To each his own I guess. I live 5 min. from my work and there is nothing more in the world that I hate then hearing COMERCIALS the ENTIRE way there

As far as where I mounted my unit, I have no problems at all as I do not sit there and look at what I am doing with it. who sits there and stairs at the radio as you change the stations

It's not distracting at all once you know where the buttons are and you know what you are doing. I use my remote most of the time anyway.

The sound quality is GREAT, no static no, crappy music, no commercials.

I am glad to have gone the sattelite route
    Last edited by VehiX : 08/19/2003 at 03:54 PM
    Live Free or DIE!

Here's a deal for a Clarion Sirius unit for $50:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kKjjbGc...asp?i=020SIRFM

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Awww man, I was just about to post that deal!

Nice package!

Thanks Ralph but the unit is in however, I would still like to see how it looks nothing says it can't be moved.

Oh,, and that clarion unit is not being carried anymore. Nice deal though.

2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329
    I have about 1000 CDs in my diverse and eclectic collection of 17 years, and still going strong.
    They are not 'burnt' discs either ... I think the RIAA can keep their mouth's shut about me if I decide to download a handful of songs from time to time.

In any given month, I may only listen to about 2% of them.

If I had a large hard drive based system, I would be able to load like 15 to 20% of the collection and listen to more of it.

Yes.. $10 - $13 in the grand scheme of things isnt much. There is still the initial hardware cost (yes, as there would be for hard drive, or anything else for that matter). And believe me, before XM hit the market, I was looking forward to it.

But as I once explained to a friend of mine who has had XM for about a year, I like the idea.. but I dont like the application of it.

Having 100+ channels is great, but EVERY channel tries to differentiate. Why not have clusters of 3 channels that are exactly the same format, so when you hear something you dont like, you can switch into another channel of the same music sub-genre.

Who knows, I could change my mind at some point. But right now, I don't see it, it doesn't fit my listening style.

Having 100+ channels is great, but EVERY channel tries to differentiate. Why not have clusters of 3 channels that are exactly the same format, so when you hear something you dont like, you can switch into another channel of the same music sub-genre.
    They do have this option

Not ALL genres have them but most do like dance (about 5 good stations worth) same for rock , rap , country , comedy etc.