Thread: Tow hooks

Tow hooks

Are we supposed to have 2 tow hooks in the front or just 1? I see in a lot of pics you guys have 2...

I had to pull my buddies Taco out of some mud and realized I only have 1 hook on the passenger side. (I like to document everything...)

Pulled him out super easy, I just want another tow hook anyways...
    Last edited by DannyDigital : 03/13/2010 at 04:05 PM

OEM includes 1 hook on front pass side as you found. There's 2 tie down points in front, and one on pass rear. What you're seeing in pics is the shackle/clevis hooks people have put on the tie down points, that's why you're seeing 2...see my pics. They're not true recovery points, they were used to tie down the vehicle for transport, but many here use them as recovery points. Some have reported they have bent them during use.

See my recent thread "recovery / snatch straps 101" I have some pictures of all of them.
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ery+straps+101
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

You can mount 2 tow hooks, the holes are there. I got an additional tow hook and had a machine shop cut it, flip it and weld it. Then had them powder coated.

Quote Originally Posted by navistar View Post
    You can mount 2 tow hooks, the holes are there. I got an additional tow hook and had a machine shop cut it, flip it and weld it. Then had them powder coated.
    How's the strength and trustworthiness on doing this?
    Scott / moncha.com

I had the welding done locally at a high end machine shop. It looked perfect before powder coating. They didn't give me any kind of guarantee. I have never used the hooks for anything so for me it's just for symmetry.

Is it a VX tow hook or aftermarket? I was looking at a few hooks at harbor freight but nothing that looked like it would match up.

Its the OE hook, cut, flipped, welded, and so on.

Anyone else have input on doing this and the ramifications?

sell ya 3?

let me know?

Yesss. With bolts? How much?

DannyDigitalDude are you going to need all three? If not I'd like to get one and try what Navi did.

Sure would make it easier to tie the front of my shell down. Just use a piece of rope with a loop in the middle and one on each end... Automatic centering!

Quote Originally Posted by Moncha View Post
    How's the strength and trustworthiness on doing this?
    Scott,

You make me pause and think. Would this tow hook ever cause someone to be hurt? As I said before, it's just for symmetry and it's solidly welded and very strong but is it completely trustworthy? No, nothing is. I would rather remove it than ran the risk. And that said, I am not encouraging anyone to do it without careful consideration. What would be the stress placed on this lone hook during towing: Tow truck tows VX out of a 30 foot ravine through the mud and across the asphalt to be loaded with all the wheels bent and locked up.

If you left it stock and mounted it without modding, would it fit? I think it would just face the same direction as the passenger side, so it wouldn't look as good. But, it would be safe for use (providing the proper bolts are used to mount it).

Navi here's what you do - send me that menace-to-society tow hook you've fabbed up and, in exchange for the hook, I will create a mold of it and make a rubber tow hook for you. That way I get a hook that, although it might not withstand the shock of being yanked by a chain, would surely be capable of securing a 40 pound boat to the top of my VX - and you get a sense of symmetry without endangering the public! Deal?