Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Aussie front locker install

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Just wanted to revisit this with an update. The aussie has performed flawlessly. Lots of trail time, makes the VX a whole new machine. I highly recommend it to anyone who is actually gonna wheel their VX.
    I second that!
    Last edited by phines : 05/25/2011 at 07:25 PM

If the front is locked on pavement, it sways from side to side and is almost dangerous. Also ruins any chance of driving on snow or ice. Me jeep has lock-rights front and rear. I have to Pull the fronts for winter. Great for off road though. Rear you can leave in, but it sucks in snow as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rockhavok View Post
    If the front is locked on pavement, it sways from side to side and is almost dangerous. Also ruins any chance of driving on snow or ice. Me jeep has lock-rights front and rear. I have to Pull the fronts for winter. Great for off road though. Rear you can leave in, but it sucks in snow as well.
    IIRC, aussies are designed to be open when not engaged & locked when engaged. They should NEVER be engaged whilst on dry pavement or you WILL either have an accident or cause an explosion of your very expensive differential. When open (not engaged) it's just like driving a stock VX.

Am I missing something???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Am I missing something???
    Aussies unlock automatically when turning, otherwise they are locked and there's no way to disengage them. If you have an Aussie up front, the hubs need to be unlocked for street driving. For winter driving, some guys on the planet will unlock one front wheel hub and drive in three wheel drive.

For winter driving, ARB lockers are the best (and most $$) option because they can be engaged/disengaged using air.

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    For winter driving, ARB lockers are the best (and most $$) option because they can be engaged/disengaged using air.
    OK, that was my brain fart. I mixed up ARB & aussies. Senility, thou art a cruel bitch!

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    I talked to matt at indy about the whole 'unlock one hub and create a regular 4wd' for snow. He said it doesnt work like that, thats fine for daily dry roads, but with one side locked up all the time, its gonna push you into a ditch in snow. He said that doing that in snow is very dangerous if you drive on any regular basis in snow. (he said if you do it once a year, and are careful, fine, buT not a good idea for a DD in snow)
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Another revisit, its been 2.5 years. No issues, still works perfect. I put one in the wife's Trooper RS as well. Just as flawless operation. I highly recommend it for the person building an unstoppable wheeler on a budget. As for driving with the front locked, I drove for some time with the OEM drive flanges, handledfine,but the click was annoying. Just dont get on the gas in a corner.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Another revisit, its been 2.5 years. No issues, still works perfect. I put one in the wife's Trooper RS as well. Just as flawless operation. I highly recommend it for the person building an unstoppable wheeler on a budget. As for driving with the front locked, I drove for some time with the OEM drive flanges, handledfine,but the click was annoying. Just dont get on the gas in a corner.
    Im guessing your snow driving time is minimal though, right?

I drove it from Whistler,BC all the way down pastVancouver in 14" of snow, no problemo I was in 4 low when in the Mountains