Alright, day two of the locker saga. I have now spent about 14 hours working on this POS. Couple hours just getting cotter pins out. Lessons learned, to remove the CV joint, there is a retaining ring just inside the "green" cup that holds the balls and cup assembly. Just use a knife and pop it out. You have to remove the inner boot to do this. Had I known that, I never would have broken the axle seal, and saved a few hours of labor. To date, I have now replaced drivers side upper ball joint, lower ball joint, maybe a sway bar tie rod end, front axle seal.
To make matters worse, my locker didn't fit. Requires .006 in min clearance between collar and pinion shaft. I ended up sanding down to 0.0065 one side and 0.004 on the other. That took quite a while.
Over all gap after assemble" .142ish, min required .145. Better be close enough. If anything, it won't unlock, which is fine, cause I will be running 2wd high via manual hubs anyway.
I didn't take pics, but it wouldn't be good anyway, a lot of cussing and screaming and running to parts stores. Now I am paying storage while the VX sits on the lift at the Hobby Shop. I should finish tuesday evening. Right now, CVs are in, diff mounted, full of Royal Purple. Good news, the cvs from Ebay fit just fine. Now I have my OEM set as spares. they were in good shape, boots were rough, but whole, and grease looked great.