Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Aussie front locker install

Congrats Marlin! You've got more patience than I do. Mine was rusted pretty bad too so I gave up and had a mechanic friend of mine do the install. It was much less stressful! Not quite the same feeling of accomplishment though.
    ________
    BMW M60 HISTORY
    Last edited by phines : 05/02/2011 at 02:22 PM

I can't find any suppliers?
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

Suppliers for what? CV or locker? Locker is a no brainer, Matt at Indy 4x. As for CVs, Ebay has them, but I wouldn't run them locked. I will now have two new spares and a OEM spare, but those other two are for emergency use only.
    I am heading to the junkyard, there is a VX by my house, but I don't know how much he wants for the CVs. He only wants 1500 for the whole truck.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

$1500 for the whole truck.....GET IT

Yep, i meant the Lockers, but as you say i will now have cheapo CV's HMMMMM

A little birdie tells me the LSD rear diff on the old troopers was a 10 bolt and fits directly to the front of a newer 10 bolt front IFS trooper

I know the Isuzu impulse had a LSD 10 bolt setup as well, but they are getting hard to find round here. NO NEW ONES available anywhere in the Isuzu market.

Just reading this thread now.

Marlin, why did you have to take out your CVs to install the locker? I thought you could install the locker by just removing the 3rd member? Or does removing the 3rd member require pulling the axle shafts? I'm gonna put an Aussie in my rear 12 bolt and hopefully that will be easier than the front.

Bart

You have to pull the cvs out a little so they unplug from the carrier inside the third member.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Yep, the only way I could figure to do that safely was to pull the whole fornt end down.
    While your at it, might as well replace all the ball joints, I wish I had enough parts on hand to both sides, I only had enough for one side
    The rear end should be MUCH easier.

OK I see. I wonder what the rear end of my Trooper will entail. Indy4x told me I can just pull the 3rd member....

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    OK I see. I wonder what the rear end of my Trooper will entail. Indy4x told me I can just pull the 3rd member....

Bart
    And part of the wenching to do that, is removing the axles first.

Sorry Bart.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

Here's a write up with pics on a trooper install.

http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13509

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I know the Isuzu impulse had a LSD 10 bolt setup as well, but they are getting hard to find round here. NO NEW ONES available anywhere in the Isuzu market.
    Yeah, I installed a limited slip out of an Isuzu Impluse, into the front diff of my VX a few years back....Works great, no need for hubs, just enough "slip" for tight turns on dry pavement, AND in the off road stuff, just stab the brakes and throttle and you got both front tires PULLIN...

Last time I checked the 10 bolt LS diff, were still availble new OEM from isuzu....but pricey $$$$

Quote Originally Posted by BigMeatVX View Post
    Yeah, I installed a limited slip out of an Isuzu Impluse, into the front diff of my VX a few years back....Works great, no need for hubs, just enough "slip" for tight turns on dry pavement, AND in the off road stuff, just stab the brakes and throttle and you got both front tires PULLIN...

Last time I checked the 10 bolt LS diff, were still availble new OEM from isuzu....but pricey $$$$
    I talked to Jerry about the Imulse diff, they showed 2 left in the US, he ordered them, nothing inside, just the housing itself. Turns out someone stripped the guts already. So unless there are some private dealers that are sitting on them, they are all but impossible to come by new.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I talked to Jerry about the Imulse diff, they showed 2 left in the US, he ordered them, nothing inside, just the housing itself. Turns out someone stripped the guts already. So unless there are some private dealers that are sitting on them, they are all but impossible to come by new.
    I also called each individual yard that had a Turbo Impulse listed about a year ago, and I could not find a 10 bolt LSD.

Just wanted to revisit this with an update. The aussie has performed flawlessly. Lots of trail time, makes the VX a whole new machine. I highly recommend it to anyone who is actually gonna wheel their VX.