Thread: New member

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

We just purchased a 2001 white iron-man (119K) from the original owner who kept meticulous records. Yes,we are lucky indeed. The vehicle is actually for my son who turns 16 in a few months. The car is in great shape except for the driver side window binding a little. So far the only thing i have done is replace the tires, stereo (which was factory), cd changer (it became a storage compartment), all 4 speakers and two front cv boots that were torn. Other than that, this beast is mechanically sound. By the way, i know its a lot of vehicle for a teenager but he loves the power and responsiveness. i love the fact that because of the sensitive steering and blind spot, he is forced to pay attention at all times. He will have the joy (my word, not his) of riding with me on the passenger side until he turns 16 in July. Then and only then it will be used for school and practice (both of which are 7 miles from our home).

i will try to post some pictures soon. can anyone recommend a good mechanic for this car around the DFW (Texas) area? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Your son is a lucky kid indeed. Congrats on your new VX.

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidVX View Post
    Your son is a lucky kid indeed. Congrats on your new VX.
    x2. A VX at 16 would have been AWESOME. However, I would have likely wheeled it to DEATH. Tell your son to be gentle...except for with the girls he will likely score with in his VX!!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    ...Tell your son to be gentle...except for with the girls he will likely score with in his VX!!

Bart
    +1 No wait, must... remember... I have a baby girl of my own now... Shame on you!

Congrats and welcome to you and your son. Prepare to be sucked in by the forum (if you aren't already)!

Quick recommendations for you: (1) Pick up a set of replacement steel window lifts from Street Boutique Customs (SBC). That should permanently fix your binding problem, although you may have to replace the motor and/or regulator if they're already broken. Search the site and you'll find the link to their website and instructions on how to install them if you're so inclined.

And (2), pick up a set of blind spot mirrors at Wal-Mart. They cost $3 I think, and make a world of difference for visibility. Keep in mind that if he's looking over his shoulder that much, he actually increases the likelihood of rear-ending someone. Since I stuck those mirrors on two years ago, I bet I haven't looked over my shoulder once.

Since your Son can't see out the back window when backing up; just tell him to keep backing up until it sounds expensive, and then stop. Don't worry about finding a good mechanic; find a good Body Shop first, and make him get his own seperate insurance policy without your name on it as a co-signer.

Welcome to the family. Some local (to you) owners that come to mind are: LittleBeast, tomdietrying & Geshaw30. Maybe they can recommend a decent mechanic in your area. Better yet - stay active on the forum & become your own mechanic. We even have some wimmin who have become wrenching wonders
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Welcome! I lived in Plano for 12 yrs (just left 2 yrs ago). Forum members
    "tomdietrying" and "Scott Harness" are in Dallas. Think those other two above are in Houston. I didn't have my VX in Dallas so I can't help much. Some find that a good private shop tends to be better than a dealership but that depends on if that dealership has any specifically Isuzu trained mechanics still on board.
    Here's the remaining "authorized" Isuzu service facilities in Dallas:

CLAY COOLEY ISUZU
    10849 COMPOSITE DRIVE
    DALLAS, TX 75220
    (214) 357-5700

FAZELI ISUZU
    16200 LBJ FREEWAY
    MESQUITE, TX 75150
    (972) 270-2080

MANUEL ISUZU
    8075 GRAPEVINE HWY.
    N RICHLAND HLS., TX 76180
    (817) 788-2994

For assistance locating an Isuzu Service Facility:
    Owner Relations (800) 255-6727
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

yup thats our KAT.....good job.
    oh welcome to the madness
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

Thank you everyone for the great tips and thoughts. I already ordered the steel window lifts. Our VX came with the small wallmart blind spot mirrors already in place and yes, they are quite helpful. Also we ride with the rear seat folded flat and that seems to help a somewhat with the rear view. My son is only allowed to ride with me for now and then only with one other person next year. Rear view camera is coming next just as soon as I pay for the two torn cv boots, and new tires. Again thank you for the warm welcome. Look forward to getting to know you all better.

One final question, the previous original owner always put premium unleaded in this vehicle. Should I continue this practice?

Stay safe,
    pdmarty

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by pdmarty View Post
    One final question, the previous original owner always put premium unleaded in this vehicle. Should I continue this practice?

Stay safe,
    pdmarty
    There are those who will argue this point, but the requirement for the stock engine is 87 octane (regular unleaded)

If it is supercharged, then yes, premium is advised.

Welcome to the Fam...