Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: off-roading in Utah

off-roading in Utah

Something to wet your appetite for MOAB. On Speed Channel Wednesday, the program Dangerous Drives will air at 6 pm Pacific time. It is about off-roading in Utah. Am sure it will be much more serious off road compared to what the VX Meet is like, but for those that have never been,... well, you'll get the itch I'm sure. It is a thrill and you will get to meet some great people and be able to put faces to names.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Thanks for the heads up...setting the DVR!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

It was great! Was a week long trip throughout Canyonlands/Moab, some 480 miles, during the snowiest period in 39 yrs, so it was just blanketed in snow. One part was on a real narrow shelf road that was pretty hairy.

American Expedition Vehicles out of Missoula, MT does ground up modifications of Jeeps and they were doing a field test of a Jeep they'd just done massive mods on. They also had along two other of their heavily modded Jeeps, one that was turned into a pickup- called the "Brute", and one Land Rover Disco.

Scott Brady, the publisher of Overland Journal, lives right here in Prescott and he was one of the 4 drivers.

It showed driving through virgin 12" snow, and several occasions they had to use a winch. It was really a great show. Although I won't be driving in the snow & ice up there any time soon, thank you.

It repeats several times...even though it's snow, it'll still getcha psyched for Moab!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Ditto VX-KAT. I watched it too, and the show was pretty awesome. Excellent photography and scenary. The highly modified Jeep called "The Brute" seemed to be nearly unstoppable and was the leader of the pack breaking the trail ahead for the others. Thanx ROWHARD for the advance heads-up, as I would have missed the TV broadcast without your prior notification.

Sandy and I are watching it now. Sue, did you have some flashbacks? We sure as hell did

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    Sandy and I are watching it now. Sue, did you have some flashbacks? We sure as hell did
    Yeah, glad we go in May! Couldn't imagine doing slickrock in snow or ice....

Is that the same program that had the guy driving the Bolivian "Death Road" in a 1st gen Trooper? If so, good show. I'll try to catch it!

Bart

Ya I didnt read this till after I watched the show. Which I wouldnt have seen it if a old roomate didnt notify me of it via text.

Hey Tom that not sure fi you saw it but that "narrow shelf road" looks familiar. I was looking for the crshed car on the side of of cliff. Man if its the same thing well lets justs ay was my first off road trip to moab and had seat particles in my behind do to the pucker effect...

I remember the cb convo like it was yesterday.. As we are going up. "Um Tom is this a 2 way road?" "Why yes it is." "OK well where are we suppose to pull over" (thinking to myself no way in hell that is happening. Was really only room for one vehicle.. LOL good times

Trip they took looked fun
    "It's not sexual harassment, I am just building up your tolerence"-Dumke

Thumbs up

Rob,
    Those were the good times!!!! There will be some more good times in Moab this year. Can ya make it?
    Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

They over-dramatized it a LOT. The trails they were on were no where near as narrow as they made them out to be (anyone who has done Kane Creek or Cliff Hanger can atest to that). Part of that trip (Schaffer Trail) I did last year...you could drive a tank down it. Good show anyways!
    I would love to do Moab in the winter. Would be a great time and change of scenery...not that I get tired of the Moab scenery!

Quote Originally Posted by tomdietrying View Post
    Rob,
    Those were the good times!!!! There will be some more good times in Moab this year. Can ya make it?
    Peace.
    Tom
    Yes Tom I am. However making a side trip to Az to see some friends before hand so I will not be following you and Scott this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    They over-dramatized it a LOT. The trails they were on were no where near as narrow as they made them out to be.
    Billy yes they did and I am not sure if it was same one but well some 4 wheelers tried passing us and there wasnt much room lol.

Where at in Az? Depending on time/date might be able to hook up with you. I am not sure what day I am leaving yet.

yea, your right Billy, they did. But for those that have never been there, and for those of us, (me and Sandy) and many others that have only been there once, it was exciting.

You'll laugh. Sandy and I just finished watching it. The part toward the end where they decided to detour and head for pavement.

She, the one that had bailed out on me on the first ledge of Again and Again, the same ledge that I was ready to sell my VX to anyone that could get it off of it,....... screamed,................ YOU P*****S!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dumke View Post
    Yes Tom I am. However making a side trip to Az to see some friends before hand so I will not be following you and Scott this year.
    Where at in Az? Depending on time/date might be able to hook up with you. I am not sure what day I am leaving yet.
    I'm heading out Sunday 5/9 solo, so we could make it a trio caravan if it's Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    I'm heading out Sunday 5/9 solo, so we could make it a trio caravan if it's Sunday.

Well funny you should say that Billy. Actually I will be in your neck of the woods during week either wednesday/thursday. I am wanting to go eat at lindy's on 4th so its really going to be a stop relax a few eat and go lol.. I wont know exact dates/times till I plan trip out a little further (its a work in progress.) My Destination is Surprise will be there for sure Thursday May 6-9 to visit some friends. Sunday will be headed to Hoover Dam, Henderson Nevada (if that simpson house is still there) and then Byrce Canyon. You could say I am taking the "Scenic" Route.. Which brings me to Kat.. Sorry I wont be able to make the trio caravan even tho I would love to. So I will have to see you 2 in MOAB

LOl what was this thread about again???

kat/billy/tom (sorry to throw you under the bus... kinda ) Made me do it