Thread: Breathe Suzy BREATH...part II

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench Breathe Suzy BREATH...part II

Here is the latest installment in the saga that I like to call...
    "Ldub's fun with crankcase vapors"...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    The original position of the breathers might be a little too close to the hood scoop.

TLMP & I both noticed an unpleasant in cabin smell at trail speeds...
    It seems that the vented crankcase fumes were exiting the hood scoop & being sucked into the hvac system through the cowling vents...not good.
    We both had headaches, & felt generally like crap by midday, & retired to our motel for the duration of the day/evening.
    (WAG here, but the "all dub could eat" shrimp & fish noon meal, may be a contributing factor...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post
    I also noticed the crankcase fumes in my cabin, since i mod the PC valve with the air breather,but not to the point of having headaches.
    All righty then...I decided to take a "do-over" on this whole crankcase ventilation dealio...

I had been having a problem with oil being pumped out of the breathers & collecting on top of the valve cover, I'm assuming that being under boost may be a contributing factor...at least from some of the articles I've read on the subject, it seems plausible.
    The oil fume smell in cabin was reduced but not gone, and I always liked the idea of an oil catch tank, to seperate the moisture (oil) out of the vapor.
    So I put on my tiny little thinking cap & started looking around ebay for a suitable catch tank.

I found this generic unit, which is identical to another I found, with a "mishimoto" brand name...about half the price without the ricer brand name...
    I'm guessing that the "Mishimoto" sticker adds 15-20 HP...

see here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Mishimoto-Carbon...item45f12e8d89

I then gathered a few other supplies...fittings, hose, clamps etc.
    I drilled & tapped two more holes in the top of the tank, then added fittings with a three inch pipe that'll bring the vapors into the tank much lower than the outlets. I had to mod these fittings by using stainless barrels from papermate "G-force" pens, epoxied into the bottom of the fitting, to extend them down into the baffle media.
    For the baffle media, I used stainless steel "wool" (kitchen choreboy pot scrubber) to take as much oil as possible out of the vapor before it exits the tank.
    I then removed the vents from their perch on the side of the supercharger & plumbed them into the inside of the air filter box cover.

Cut the various hoses to length, routed them all purdy & zip tied them out of harms way....BAM, hopefully no more fumes in the cabin...

And Tom, never mind that one of the hoses doesn't match...
    I done run outta the "kitchen hose", & hadda fall back five yards & punt....

Other stuff I found out...
    That nylon reinforced tubing can be really stiff to get over fittings, but a minute in a cup of boiling water changes it's attitude to "dramatically more compliant"...

If that doesn't work, reaming it out a bit with a tapered step drill, with the drill motor in reverse, works wonders...

I'll keep Y'all posted iffin this doesn't work as well as I think it's gonna.
    Last edited by Ldub : 01/12/2011 at 08:29 PM Reason: I like editing