Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New member in the family

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New member in the family

Well, we got a new family member today. We picked up our 8 week old Irish terrier pup at the airport this afternoon. He is a trip. I had to search long and hard for this dog. They get to about 35lbs, NO SHEDDING, no grooming, their beard is natural, unlike their cousin the Schnauzer. Looks like I will have a wheeling buddy as he gets older!!

Here is a grown Irish Terrier.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Congrats.

He'll make a great wheelin' buddy...
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Oh wow, what a beautiful dog!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up Terriers RULE!

Congrats on getting what will probably be the greatest dog you'll ever know!...

I was fortunate enough to be aquainted with an Airedale terrier who was a member of our family for many years.
    He was the greatest dog I've ever known...RIP Duke, you were the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Congrats on getting what will probably be the greatest dog you'll ever know!...

I was fortunate enough to be aquainted with an Airedale terrier who was a member of our family for many years.
    He was the greatest dog I've ever known...RIP Duke, you were the best!

What a crazy coincidence. The airedale was our first choice, but with the risk of getting stationed in Japan, they are just too big for that. SO I looked for another relative, and was led to the Irish Terrier. A man we were talking to at the airport stayed to see our pup. he had two airedales. They are awesome dogs and rarely seen. I have only seen one in real life. They also play a roll on the great outdoors 2. He is the debonair hound from the South.
    I can't wait for my puppy to grow up already, I forgot how much it sucked. Yipping and crying all night...*sigh*, he is the cutest little thing though. He has some big shoes to fill to be the best dog ever. Our dingo house trained himself 6 or 7 weeks, and now we can leave him home from Fri to Sun by himself, full run of the house, no problems. He feeds himself, perfect health, understands several voice commands, can be taken out without a leash. That is why we got the pup now, so our dog Ducky can mentor him. He already taught the little guy to use the doggy door, so thats progress I suppose. Expect photos of Goosey over the next few years with me wheeling.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    He has some big shoes to fill to be the best dog ever. Our dingo house trained himself 6 or 7 weeks, and now we can leave him home from Fri to Sun by himself, full run of the house, no problems. He feeds himself, perfect health, understands several voice commands, can be taken out without a leash. That is why we got the pup now, so our dog Ducky can mentor him. He already taught the little guy to use the doggy door, so thats progress I suppose. Expect photos of Goosey over the next few years with me wheeling.
    I judge dogs the same as I judge people, not on their talents or abilities, but on personality & depth of character...

Ducky may be balancing your checkbook eventually, but you'll look long & hard to find a dog with more heart than a terrier.

Arrow

I judge dogs the same as I judge people, not on their talents or abilities, but on personality & depth of character...

Ducky may be balancing your checkbook eventually, but you'll look long & hard to find a dog with more heart than a terrier.

Absolutely right on that topic larry.

It's amazing how doggies have their own personality & caracters,they are the best friends for sure .
    Dakar was just the begining.

I understand that, if you aren't careful, a terrier will be your boss instead of vice-versa. You have to be consistent and fair.
    Problem we are having is that Ducky wants nothing to do with Goosey. He is very angry at us right now. He has been an only child for several years. He will get over it, he still sleeps with us, while the pup is in his crate. I made sure I got him some new rawhides,and we are trying to get him involved with the playing. Hopefully he will come around soon. The pup on the other hand is obsessed with him, and keeps growling and whining at him trying to get him to play, very entertaining.

He's cute! Congrats and good luck!
    Scott / moncha.com

Nice pup! I like terriers - my folks have a Westie and she's great.

A

Kool pooch. Many moons ago when I was a tad bit younger we had a brindle Scottish Terrier....unlike your Irish he required a LOT of upkeep!
    Be sure to post him up in this thread!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Kool pooch. Many moons ago when I was a tad bit younger we had a brindle Scottish Terrier....unlike your Irish he required a LOT of upkeep!
    Be sure to post him up in this thread!
    That thread is archived. I thought maybe I could "fool" the system and bump it and somehow reactivate it , by the boss seems to be one step ahead of me...lol.
    Back to the pup, we are discussing if I should take him with me or not to Uwharrie. Our concern is the weather. Last year it was HOT during the day. Hot enough that most rigs had to shift to neutral and rev up to keep cool. I don't want have to worry about that.

Talking Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Well, we got a new family member today. We picked up our 8 week old Irish terrier pup at the airport this afternoon. He is a trip. I had to search long and hard for this dog. They get to about 35lbs, NO SHEDDING, no grooming, their beard is natural, unlike their cousin the Schnauzer. Looks like I will have a wheeling buddy as he gets older!!

Here is a grown Irish Terrier.

He looks just like you

Well, the hound is getting close to 6 months old. He is about 25lbs. I will be taking him to the Beasley Knob meet next weekend. We shall see how he does on the trails.
    Ducky and Goosey (left to right) Duck is a Dingo mix from Guam, and of course goose is an Irish terrier

Thumbs up

Congrats, dude, there's nothing like man's best friend to be your best friend.

Bart