Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: ATTN!!!! 5 SPEED SWAP W/TOD DONE!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I thought the Rodeo clutch pedal bolt-up was common knowledge...LOL

I tried a Napa Clutch set and a Auto Zone (LUK brand)...

The Disks are OK, but the preasure plates are machined incorrectly....

neither was made well. and I had an (very used) OEM Trooper clutch still attached to the Flywheel I bought, so I could compare side by side...OEM quality to aftermarket JUNK!!!

I am sure that there IS a decent aftermarket setup somewhere out there, I just didnt want to buy anymore clutch sets (and return them the next day) Plus those were the only ones readily available W/O taking an even bigger gamble by ordering another aftermarket....

There is a way to use the aftermarket preasure plate...BUT ONLY IF you already have an OEM trooper preasure plate...,On the OEM, it IS possble to dis-assemble the inner portion of the preasure plate and re-install this part on the aftermarket preasure plate... basicaly replacing the part that was made TOO big with the OEM one....

There are ALOT of different trannys that use this input shaft...SO.... you CAN find a variety of DISKs that have the correct fit... (this should help the V-8 swaps)
    Preasure plates might be a bit trickier, though....

Great job BigMeat. Hell of an undertaking. Keep us updated on the operation and reliability of the overhaul. I would love to go the same route, but it's not something I would want to do in my garage and I am doubtful that anybody around me would want to tackle it. Definitely a route I would love to take though.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

I would love to see some pictures, and man if you did a How To (with pictures) on this I think you would have lots of new friends

Seriously, this is astounding. I am practically checking this thread hourly for the photos. Since I have read this it feels like I have $1,700 burning a hole in my pocket.

la ha on monday night?

Lake stevens la ha has a good happy hour and I would love to check it out.
    Back To The Primitive!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Falco View Post
    Lake stevens la ha has a good happy hour and I would love to check it out.
    If your interested

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...threadid=17721
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

This is outstanding news. what is this tranny rated at for power. Im one of the lucky ones with a supercharger. we have talked about raising the boost before but we know that aside from computer-fuel control issue, the tranny was really our weak point. Is this unit more durable?

Quote Originally Posted by spitfire5454 View Post
    This is outstanding news. what is this tranny rated at for power. Im one of the lucky ones with a supercharger. we have talked about raising the boost before but we know that aside from computer-fuel control issue, the tranny was really our weak point. Is this unit more durable?
    Even if it's not, it costs like half of what replacing the automatic would. Sounds like a quality upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    What happened to the meet and pictures??

Posting it here instead of the other post..
    "It's not sexual harassment, I am just building up your tolerence"-Dumke

Quote Originally Posted by Dumke View Post
    What happened to the meet and pictures??

Posting it here instead of the other post..
    It didn't happen

Will the rodeo MT fit too?

He must have sworn them all to secrecy. Or maybe had them all sign NDAs so he can start selling 5-speed swap kits here.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    He must have sworn them all to secrecy. Or maybe had them all sign NDAs so he can start selling 5-speed swap kits here.
    Thats a damn good idea!!!!

Sorry, everyone, my trip/meet got cancled....

Update....For those curious about the swap.

Just returned from Moab...Got a great chance to do some real "testing" of the 5-speed swap out there...

Seems my 1st gear /low range crawl speed is slower and lower than with the auto...defenatly WAY more controll.

Big improvment in engine braking when dropping off steep ledges, and decending steep slopes.

Overall, the manual tranny and clutch held up well on some of Moabs more difficult trails. (wish I could say the same for my CVs)

Gas mileage on the trip down to Moab and back I averaged 19MPG+!!!
    Not bad, especially when I was "cruising" at 105MPH much of the way there!!!
    And, thats with HEAVY wide-*** 35s installed...

Stock tired VXs would surley see well above 20MPG...

I would think the rodeo one would work. The bellhousing and flywheel is the same so you could use an MUA5 from say a 98' Rodeo and delete TOD and get some Tera-Low's. I also don't see why the 93-97's wouldn't work as they also use the same flywheel. There is a guy with a turbocharged pup' running a 2wd MUA5 putting down over 300hp at the tires, so it should be able to hold it. The AR5 is rated at 260 ft/lbs but they also come in the Solstice and the base Mallet Solstice with the stock LS2 conversion retains the AR5 transmission, so it should be able to handle anything the 3.5 can throw at it unless your gonna order parts from Australia and boost the pee out of it! I talked to Mallet about the AR5 in the past and they said with 400hp/400ft/lbs from the LS2 on nice street tirres they never ran into any issues but weren't sure how well it would handle sticky tires and launching at the track. For our use and power even with a blower I think we would be fine. Nice swap! I'm thinking of swapping to an MUA5 later on, but most likely with an engine swap unless I can find a supercharger.
    Last edited by RamAirZ : 04/15/2010 at 11:08 PM