Thread: ATTN!!!! 5 SPEED SWAP W/TOD DONE!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    How far is Lake Stevens from Olympia, think I would like to check this out.
    ROWHARD--- According to MapQuest; Lake Stevens is 95 miles (+/-) away from Olympia. I too, would like to check it out. Perhaps we can "convoy" together to Lake Stevens on a pre-coordinated Sunday afternoon in the future.

BigMeatVX--- Awesome posting, my friend!!! I love people who are willing to trudge forward thru the fog and throw caution to the wind without fear of failure. Job well done. Thanx for such a detailed thread of information, as it gives other VX-ers another option if they also have tranny issues with their existing AT.

Thanks for the respect....

TOD works the EXACT same as before...it is noticably more sinstive to throttle...(remember a Torque converter "cushions" alot of drivetrain shock)

I will actually be in the olyimpia area this comming weekend...PM me if you wanna meet up and take a look at it....Take it for a drive around the block if you like.

I havent been on this forum much, sorry...been busy with my Rhino R1 conversion...

New lower Ring and pinion gears are next on the list.

The only issue with the lights on the dash is that the new computer lights up the "check Trans" light in each gear....On the trooper this is the up-shift light, telling you when to shift into the next gear for best ecconomy.

the last "bug" I am working out is that the cruise controll is not functioning....my guess is that I need to chase down a wire that sends signal when auto was placed in to gear, or it may be the same blue black wires that I had to connect for the starter...I may rewire those to a switch on the clutch pedal (as per wiring diagram)...pretty sure this is the issue...starter needs to think its in nuetrall or park and Cruise controll needs to "think" that the gearbox is in L,2,3,D....I may use a relay for this....

Lastly the MA5 out of a Hummer H3 or GM colorado/caynon 5 speed will also bolt right up....This gearbox has a 1/8" larger input shaft...the rest is the same as the Trooper gearbox EXEPT for the tailhousing...It will not bolt up to the Isuzu TOD box....Howeveer You can use a H3 transfer case behind this gearbox...Advantages are 4:1 LOW RANGE ....dis advantage is that BOTH driveline will have to be changed to a less superior slip-in-tranny-style slip yoke....this means VERY short drivelines....

I am looking into the possibility that the H3 4:1 planitary gearset will fit in the Isuzu TOD box....(they are both BorgWarner TOD designs)

Pics or it never happened Seriously though, awesome job, just curious but how were the aftermarket clutches built wroung? Did you try a centerforce at all? How hard was it to mount up the clutch pedal assembly? I don't know if you knew, but I'm doing a V8 swap that's using a manual transmission. Did you have to fab the clutch mount or was it just a direct bolt up?
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Centerforce does not make one for this application...the used to make one for the Rodeo 3.2 however they discontinued the part due to lack of sales....(the guy at centerforce said that the stockers RARLEY failed...and that a pull-type cluch does not allow room for their "weights", and that it is difficult to improve on the OEM preasure plate design)

Many aftermarket disks are availavle in this 1"-24 spline count, however All of them are much smaller in dia. (pucks, twin disks, ect)

The aftermarket clutch sets that are made wrong...it is the "female" part of the wedge ring....the part that is attached to the preasure plate...

They machine the recessed area (where the snap ring sits) TOO BIG, and then the wedge collar slips right thru....Take my advice don't buy one....Also the T.O. Berring wont even fit over the input shaft stub...Chinese JUNK!!!!

The OEM Isuzu one is made with precision...big differnence!!!

Mounting up the clutch pedal assembly was easy...you have to move a few wires outta the way and re-mount the security system computer (right in the way) the pedal assembly is direct BOLT on...the VX firewall was pre-made with the correct pattern for the Rodeo pedal assly. AND for the clutch master cylinder....

Quote Originally Posted by BigMeatVX View Post
    Centerforce does not make one for this application...the used to make one for the Rodeo 3.2 however they discontinued the part due to lack of sales...
    Really? Because that is the clutch I just put in my 91 Trooper last November. I ordered it through Summit and it took a couple weeks but I know am running a 3.2 Rodeo Centerforce in my Trooper...

EDIT #1: Centerforce Clutch - Part #DF569040

EDIT #2: Ok, maybe I am wrong, you mention the 3.2 Rodeo clutch, looking back on my notes, I think the clutch I used is from the older Rodeos (3.1 I think).

Bart

this is awesome news! i have been wanting to hear this for a while now and it doesn't sound that expensive... sounds like i just need to drop my insurance and get a beater till this is finished if i attempt

now we jus need to get rid of the TOD and go full manual all around...
    maybe i'll be the guinea pig on that... unless someone wants to do a write up before me and i can follow in their footsteps lol
    Richard
    Proud owner of a RWD VX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It looks like an angry snake-bee!" she said