Thread: Uwharrie 2010 isuzu meet pics

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Marlin, let me ask you, did the CVs break when you were doing some very rough stuff? Like one tire binded up somewhere with the other one spinning?

I've been considering a front Aussie for my Trooper, but CV breakage has been a concern of mine. Do you think "hard" wheeling is what did it or was it simple the fact that you had a locker up front?

Sounds like you had some real fun.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Marlin, let me ask you, did the CVs break when you were doing some very rough stuff? Like one tire binded up somewhere with the other one spinning?

I've been considering a front Aussie for my Trooper, but CV breakage has been a concern of mine. Do you think "hard" wheeling is what did it or was it simple the fact that you had a locker up front?

Sounds like you had some real fun.

Bart
    The 1st broke while I had the passenger tire on a ledge. I was barely moving and it snapped. no tire spinning, that is not my style. The second break I have no idea. Didn't know it was broke till I got to camp and on the pavement I didn't hear the aussie clicking. That is when I noticed the hub. There was a spot where I was hung up, and had some spinning tires, probably happened then. Not sure. I ran every trail in Uwharrie, burned almost 1.5 tanks of gas. I would say I was "hard" wheeling. Definitely more than anything I did in Moab last year.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Bart, I am fairly convinced that OEM (junkyard) CVs are stronger than aftermarket, and certainly stronger than rebuilts. Plus, I know they will fit in the cup so I can just swap the outer CV, which usually is what breaks.

I have only broken 2 CVs in almost 3 years. One was a full throttle charge up a hill in deep snow, found myself suddenly airborne and when I landed (foot still firmly on the skinny pedal) one of the inner joints exploded. The other was climbing a staircase on Golden Spike, the ledge was a little undercut and I had all the stress on one wheel.

With a little common sense avoidance of suddenly dropping rapidly spinning tires onto traction (a locker actually helps avoid this), and picking a better line that shared the climbing burden between the wheels, both breaks could have been avoided.

But even if you do break a CV, at least around here I can get junkyard CVs for $40 off the vehicle, and to change an outer only takes an hour, so not a big deal anyway.

Marlin, you should have come with us on Moab Rim and Cliffhanger if you wanted more challenge in Moab...
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post

Marlin, you should have come with us on Moab Rim and Cliffhanger if you wanted more challenge in Moab...
    I wish I could come out there again. Joe D has a 94 Trooper RS for sale right now. 80K miles, new transmission he is putting in and timing belt and tensioner. I am seriously considering it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I would say I was "hard" wheeling. Definitely more than anything I did in Moab last year.
    REALLY?!?!? From the pics, I wouldn't have guessed. Honestly, it looks like those trails are just dirt roads with ruts and stuff. So, it was harder than Moab? Was it because of mud or are there a lot of rock obstacles and such?

Just curious about those trails.

I think I am going to start with an Aussie in the rear, and go back to a couple spots where my Trooper got hung up, and see if the locker helps in those spots. If I still have trouble, then I will lock up the front and hope for the best.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    REALLY?!?!? From the pics, I wouldn't have guessed. Honestly, it looks like those trails are just dirt roads with ruts and stuff. So, it was harder than Moab? Was it because of mud or are there a lot of rock obstacles and such?

Bart
    The trails are all rock and mud, no slick rock there, lots of tire shredders. If it rains, some trails become all but impossible. The ledges are really just wash outs on the side of a mountain. Based on my experience on Poison Spider, Kane Creek, Fins and things, and whatever the super long trail with again and again was, those trails are all pretty consistent. I know there are harder trails at Moab than what I did. I am just saying the potential carnage at Uwharrie seems harder. Kane Creek seems the closest to what Uwharrie is like. Gravel, wash outs and so on. Minimal bypasses, loose traction, and a ton of trees. Problem is that it is a small park. I did every trail multiple times over a few days. But since it is only a few hours away, its all I got.
    As for the locker ordeal, I am not touching the rear. My LSD looks and performs a lot like a locker if you watch my truck on the videos. I am lucky I think. My clutch packs must still be in great shape.
    Furthermore, our rear flex is so good on the VX that the rear wheels usually stay on the ground while the front flex is abysmal at best, stupid IFS.
    So IMHO, the front locker with manual hubs is the way to go on a daily driver trail truck. But what do I know, I have an ugly bumper on the front of my truck

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I have an ugly bumper on the front of my truck
    I was gonna ask you what the hell that thing is...

Thanks - Bart