Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Uwharrie 2010 isuzu meet pics

Uwharrie 2010 isuzu meet pics

Well, it was a trip full of carnage. I busted two CVs, a superwinch hub, we rolled a rodeo, 3 other trucks busted cvs and a few other problems. I have become quite the expert cv replacer now.
    The front aussie locker is no joke, and makes the VX really go anywhere. I can't believe I waited this long to do it. The CVs I broke were aftermarket ones from Ebay. For the normal wheeler, open front diff, they would be just fine, but they are not up to the job for a locked diff. They broke behind the splines at the outer spindle just inside the hub. When the 2nd one snapped, it pushed the guts of the Hub out. No worries, time to hit the junkyard to score some spare CVs. Yippee!!!!
    Here are a few pics, I have videos loading.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Nice pics! Thanks for sharing. I had some problems there last year as well. I busted the power steering line right around the corner from that mud pit. That's where I tested out my Aussie Lockers too. They were awesome in that terrain... I hope they work as well on the Moab terrain in a few weeks. Steering could be a little difficult.
    ________
    Blonde Cams
    Last edited by phines : 05/02/2011 at 02:21 PM

Marlin, let me ask you, did the CVs break when you were doing some very rough stuff? Like one tire binded up somewhere with the other one spinning?

I've been considering a front Aussie for my Trooper, but CV breakage has been a concern of mine. Do you think "hard" wheeling is what did it or was it simple the fact that you had a locker up front?

Sounds like you had some real fun.

Bart

Threads like this are what make me scared to do serious offroading. Seriously though, great pics, and we all gain from the knowledge you bring back from these massacres.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Threads like this are what make me scared to do serious offroading in a VX.
    FIXED IT FOR YA!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Thumbs up

Thanks for the pics!!!!! Looks like a lot of fun and a little heartbreak thrown in.
    Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Marlin, let me ask you, did the CVs break when you were doing some very rough stuff? Like one tire binded up somewhere with the other one spinning?

I've been considering a front Aussie for my Trooper, but CV breakage has been a concern of mine. Do you think "hard" wheeling is what did it or was it simple the fact that you had a locker up front?

Sounds like you had some real fun.

Bart
    The 1st broke while I had the passenger tire on a ledge. I was barely moving and it snapped. no tire spinning, that is not my style. The second break I have no idea. Didn't know it was broke till I got to camp and on the pavement I didn't hear the aussie clicking. That is when I noticed the hub. There was a spot where I was hung up, and had some spinning tires, probably happened then. Not sure. I ran every trail in Uwharrie, burned almost 1.5 tanks of gas. I would say I was "hard" wheeling. Definitely more than anything I did in Moab last year.

Bart, I am fairly convinced that OEM (junkyard) CVs are stronger than aftermarket, and certainly stronger than rebuilts. Plus, I know they will fit in the cup so I can just swap the outer CV, which usually is what breaks.

I have only broken 2 CVs in almost 3 years. One was a full throttle charge up a hill in deep snow, found myself suddenly airborne and when I landed (foot still firmly on the skinny pedal) one of the inner joints exploded. The other was climbing a staircase on Golden Spike, the ledge was a little undercut and I had all the stress on one wheel.

With a little common sense avoidance of suddenly dropping rapidly spinning tires onto traction (a locker actually helps avoid this), and picking a better line that shared the climbing burden between the wheels, both breaks could have been avoided.

But even if you do break a CV, at least around here I can get junkyard CVs for $40 off the vehicle, and to change an outer only takes an hour, so not a big deal anyway.

Marlin, you should have come with us on Moab Rim and Cliffhanger if you wanted more challenge in Moab...
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post

Marlin, you should have come with us on Moab Rim and Cliffhanger if you wanted more challenge in Moab...
    I wish I could come out there again. Joe D has a 94 Trooper RS for sale right now. 80K miles, new transmission he is putting in and timing belt and tensioner. I am seriously considering it.

Wow, that's low miles...but except for the head room, that's pretty much what you've got already, isn't it? Same wheelbase, suspension, axles. Is it auto or manual?

An RS does have a lot more room to stow a spare tire though...

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
    Wow, that's low miles...but except for the head room, that's pretty much what you've got already, isn't it? Same wheelbase, suspension, axles. Is it auto or manual?

An RS does have a lot more room to stow a spare tire though...
    Its an auto. If I am not mistaken, there are even fewer of those than VXs in the US.
    What started all this is that the wife wants a VX. I told her no way. But since the RS is pretty much the same, affordable, and a lot more room for the kids. A lot more practical for wheeling, would fit our needs quite nicely. I would put the VX locker into the RS, wheel the RS and daily drive the VX. Swap my MTR kevlars over and go back to General AT2s on the VX. It would be quite doable for us. Then we could wheel both trucks if we really wanted to, but not a requirement.
    We are also looking for a small popup camper. Van just picked up an amazing little Fleetwood. Its about 4x6 as a trailer and weighs only 900lbs. I could tow that behind the flatbed trailer, and move it around by hand when reversing, or I could even squeeze it on the trailer with the VX.

Sounds like a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I would say I was "hard" wheeling. Definitely more than anything I did in Moab last year.
    REALLY?!?!? From the pics, I wouldn't have guessed. Honestly, it looks like those trails are just dirt roads with ruts and stuff. So, it was harder than Moab? Was it because of mud or are there a lot of rock obstacles and such?

Just curious about those trails.

I think I am going to start with an Aussie in the rear, and go back to a couple spots where my Trooper got hung up, and see if the locker helps in those spots. If I still have trouble, then I will lock up the front and hope for the best.

Bart

Bart, you don't need a front locker in most scenarios and I am personally against a full time front locker for something that sees street use... especially during winter storms. I think you would be content with just the rear locker.