Thread: ScanGaugeII/ BlendMount Installation

ScanGaugeII/ BlendMount Installation

I know that many of you have ScanGauges and the installation itself really couldn't be any easier, but I picked up a ScanGaugeII/ BlendMount combo and I thought that I would post the install up here, because I know at least one other VXer who will be taking this on soon.

The first thing you have to do is get everything out of your way by removing the sill trim, door seal, kick trim, A pillar trim, and lower dash trim. This gives you plenty of room to work.

The BlendMount installation itself is pretty simple. It clamps to the rearview mirror post, and the most difficult part is just having the patience to bend and tweak the metal mount, little by little, until you get it just where you want it. Here's the final product after about a half hour of bending, checking and bending some more.

Front View

Rear View

I would have to say that the most difficult part of the whole install is running the freakin' ScanGauge wire up from the underside of the dash. There is no way to get your hands back there (it's cramped) and even with a pull wire fished through first, getting the plug to clear everything was a real pain in the tuckus. Trying to get the wire run probably took the better part of an hour and a half trying one route, getting stuck, pulling everything back out, and trying again. In the end I got it run where I wanted it and zip tied the wire to the stock wires that are already running up the A pillar.

ScanGauge wire zipped to stock wires.

One thing I did notice, that I didn't like, was the fact that when you plug the ScanGauge in to the OBDII plug the wire was oriented towards the driver and that would have just been unsightly.

You can't just flip the plug around because there are some plastic tabs that seat into a couple of notches in the plug mount.

I ground the plastic tabs down so the plug could be flipped around. That allowed the wire from the plug to orient towards the front of the VX.

It's really a pretty neat install. Super simple, and it puts the ScanGauge up out of the way, but still in an easy line of sight so all you have to do is glance at it without really taking your eyes off the road.

And, the only thing you really see is just the tip of the plug hanging down from under the dash.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Awesome write up! That looks great! I plan on getting a scangauge soon and will probably be following your footsteps Thanks for the write up and pics!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

Nice job Mark Man...
    Both the writeup & the install are stellar!

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    I should be getting my blendmount monday! Excited to get it off the dash!
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Looks Great!

No thread jack intended here, but why would I need a ScanGuage?

Thanks.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Mile High, you don't really need a ScanGauge, but it does allow you to monitor the engine, and some other information, a little bit closer. My VX is approaching 100K miles so I got one just to keep a closer eye on things. The ScanGauge can monitor engine RPM's, engine temp, fuel economy etc. It has a digital speedo, and a trip computer so you can gauge fuel economy, fuel used, distance, etc. AND you can read and clear any codes that may pop up (turn off check engine lights).

Just a handy little gadget.

Slick setup. Since I removed the useless rearview mirror, I had to go a different route.

Got rid of the Roady XT since photo. Went with a digital XM tuner.

Milehigh, here is the link to the scan gauge, it is a handy tool. If you run oversize tires, you can plug the variable in to get the correct mph. I only wish it would do oil press/temp.

http://www.scangauge.com/products/
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

I did the mirror mount for the scan gauge a couple years ago; I love the thing.

I got a combo pack off of eBay which had all needed for the VX mirror mount, plus an extra chord so that the Gauge can be disconnected, popped off of the 'rigid' velcro, and used with the extra chord on other vehicles.

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13781

My Scan Gauge paid for itself within the first few weeks when the Saab threw a code. It turned out to be an air valve which needed to be replaced due to moisture mucking, identified by the CEL code and an internet search. The reading of the code by the dealer, and paying dealer price and installation for the valve, would have cost more than what I paid for the Scan Guage weeks before. I was praised by the spouse for remedying the problem, and the Scan Guage has been perceived since as a wise purchase.

Since then, it has been used on the Saab a couple dozen more times (bad gas cap, split air hose, etc.), as well as a few neighbors' cars. One friend was being told he needed apprx. $1700 worth of work for running lean, when the Scan Gauge said it was #1 (of 4) O2 sensors. That was Feb. of last year, $150 for an O2 sensor we put in, and no problems since then.

I have yet to throw a code on the VX, but now that I have said that out loud...

No one needs a Scan Gauge, but it has proven to be one of the best purchases we have made for the VX. Get the extra chord so you can keep the VX chord semi-permanently mounted, and do your mount, where ever you choose to place, in a manner that the gauge can be removed for use on other cars. Maybe you'll have a neighbor that brings you a Yuengling everytime he sees you out in your garage.
    Last edited by workmeistr : 04/19/2010 at 12:48 PM
    Bren Workman
    Gretna, NE
    (C) 402-312-1992

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]