Thread: More responsive brakes with less pedal travel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

More responsive brakes with less pedal travel

I am looking to fix the brakes on my VX. I figure replacing the pads, rotors, and lines should make them more responsive and engage sooner rather than nearly putting my foot to the floor. Will this also alleviate pulling to the left or is the right caliper failing? I have been browsing ebay but thought I would get some feedback from the members here. There seems to be a few options there but to be honest it mostly looks like cheap junk. Can anyone attest to a good set of stainless steel braided brake lines or other brake parts?

i got my stainless steel lines from indy4x4, ive had them on at least 2 years, maybe longer but they are great

oem pads are the way to go

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    I have the stainless braid lines from Indy4X & am happy with them...

https://id211.chi.us.securedata.net/...roducts_id=295

I also have Magnum cross drilled rotors from eBay & I like them too, though their "corrosion resistant paint" isn't all that corrosion resistant in my experience...

http://srx.main.ebayrtm.com/clk?RtmC...150171&pi=3907

Were I to do it again, I'd spend a few extra bucks & get the optional cadmium plating.

After installing new pads, (I prefer OEM, but many say any ceramic pad should be the same) rotors, & lines, if it still pulls or has "pedal issues" is when I'd start looking at caliper replacement and/or possible master cylinder replacement.

This is assuming that the brake system has been bled properly. (search "brake bleeding")
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showthr...brake+bleeding

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post

I also have Magnum cross drilled rotors from eBay & I like them too, though their "corrosion resistant paint" isn't all that corrosion resistant in my experience...

Were I to do it again, I'd spend a few extra bucks & get the optional cadmium plating.
    x2

I had similar braking problems, I pulled the ABS fuse, brakes seem much better now. I also had the front end torn apart, so it could be coincidence and a caliper was frozen or something, but I had even wear on the pads, so I don't think so.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

The Indy4x lines look good. Thanks for the info. I was thinking maybe the guy had air in the lines but having never changed the brakes it did not seem likely.

I have a set of indy lines I'm getting rid of BTW. The red plastic covering is coming off of one of them, but they are otherwise in great shape. I actually had to replace one with a locally made DOT approved line which I personally feel is much higher quality. I can send you some pics if interested. $100 shipped and they're yours.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

I did the R1 rotors, OEM pads, and the stainless steel brake lines. Which one improved the brake pedal, I don't really know. Expect it was the brake lines but it certainly helped. As far as the pulling, I have that too, both left and right, before and after the brake job. Damned if I know why.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Diving to one side or the other is also a sign of bad shocks.

Mine pulls pretty good if there's just the slightest rut in the road. Something about the big ole grips make it wanna wander.