Thread: VX engine swap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The upgrade actually came sometime midyear 02...as my 02 Axiom STILL had the older style valve covers??? Also the updated 03-later engines have a much better PCV valve...My 02 Axiom engine (dealer installed in VX) is great! 230 HP and NO oil. Consumtion at 60K + miles....

If it were me, Id buck up for the 250 horse 04 version...with direct injection....
    A little more computer swapin, but well worth it!!! In the future, expect to see folks experamenting with alternitive fuels on this engine, as with DI, the possibilities are enless....much improved gas mileage as well.

And DI engines can handle much more boost, in the event someone wanted more power....
    Last edited by BigMeatVX : 06/02/2010 at 11:12 AM

Quote Originally Posted by BigMeatVX View Post
    The upgrade actually came sometime midyear 02...
    I am told the ring upgrade can be detected by the presence of a screw-in PCV valve, versus a push-in one. Obviously, this should be confirmed on the subject 02 Trooper engine before jumping on it...
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Before deciding you will want to look at your states laws on engine swaps and emissions.
    I know some states out east are rediculous with their emissions/aftermarket laws.
    Here in Az the donor engine must be the same year or newer(which the above options are).
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
    I am told the ring upgrade can be detected by the presence of a screw-in PCV valve, versus a push-in one. Obviously, this should be confirmed on the subject 02 Trooper engine before jumping on it...
    Yep, however, SOME 02 troops may have come with the newer screw-in setup, but they continued puting the older push-in PCV style engines isuzus untill at least midway thru 02....this is why my 02 Axiom had the older push-in style...but on the VX when I had the 3rd engine installed, they gave me an 230 Horse, 03 model with the newer screw in style PCV and the better rings...

Like BigSwede says, best to confirm this first...dont just assume if its an 02 engine, that it is the updated one....

Quote Originally Posted by BigMeatVX View Post
    The upgrade actually came sometime midyear 02...as my 02 Axiom STILL had the older style valve covers??? Also the updated 03-later engines have a much better PCV valve...
    The information I have from a couple of different sources is for Troopers getting the ring upgrade is mid-year 2001...don't know about other models.

I researched the same issue last year. I am (and at least one other) are going with an entire driveline swap. LS1/Chevy parts are cheaper and easier to find. Just my two cents...

Sam