Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lower Gear ratio better mpg?

Actually it feels more like getting a wedgy. Like if you want to EXplain yourself you should actually spell it right. After reading that you should understand what I mean. People look for researched information. Not "you idiot you don't spell explain -splain". Its e-x-p-l-a-i-n... Of course you don't put in a new ring and pinion without setting the backlash. Of course you don't drive in 4wheel drive if the ratio's are different. So Ldud go back and correct your spelling and give some information that counts. Hey, If you want to feel like the smart guy prove it don't state the obvious. Then praise almighty Ldud is a genious. All hale Ldud!!! Oh yea did you go back and correct your spelling yet.

Anyways, enough caffeine venting. I found out the the rear size ring gear is 220mm (8.66"). I did find a kit that changes Isuzu to a DANA 44 which would give more options on ratio's. Only It may only be for smaller gear sets. I'll have to call and find out for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by l.groves View Post
    Actually it feels more like getting a wedgy. Like if you want to EXplain yourself you should actually spell it right. After reading that you should understand what I mean. People look for researched information. Not "you idiot you don't spell explain -splain". Its e-x-p-l-a-i-n... Of course you don't put in a new ring and pinion without setting the backlash. Of course you don't drive in 4wheel drive if the ratio's are different. So Ldud go back and correct your spelling and give some information that counts. Hey, If you want to feel like the smart guy prove it don't state the obvious. Then praise almighty Ldud is a genious. All hale

Ldud!!! Oh yea did you go back and correct your spelling yet.

Anyways, enough caffeine venting. I found out the the rear size ring gear is 220mm (8.66"). I did find a kit that changes Isuzu to a DANA 44 which would give more options on ratio's. Only It may only be for smaller gear sets. I'll have to call and find out for sure.
    Dude! Let me splain somin to you. You are drownding yourself and not making any friends...ps you spelt genius incorrrectly
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Look, I'm going to lay this out for you pretty clearly. We are all a bunch of layed back, nice, friendly, mature people over here. And I'm not saying you're not, but if I were you, I'd take a look at Ldubs previous posts and know full well that if he misspells something, it's (usually) on purpose to illustrate emphasis or satire in the situation. I'd also take a step back and a deep breath and examine this thread for yourself again. No one is trying to get hostile with you, so take the good advice with a grain of salt and if you don't like it, ignore it. There's a lot of good information on this site and everyone here is happy to give it out freely, provided it is asked for and recieved in a reasonable and kind manner. Respect is gotten when it's given. We aren't like a lot of other forums that have giant flame threads. It's not how we do business over here. We are a family oriented and tight knit group that in my own opinion get along very well together because of that mutual respect I mentioned. All I'm saying is you may want to rethink your methods in future posts. I think if you give this forum a chance and don't come in on the offensive, then you'll find it a great place and a wealth of information and friendship.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

What an introduction...makes ya wonder what is going to happen next : )
    Scott

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Guess you showed me randy...

May I suggest you make good friends with the search function, cuz till ya drop the tude, you'll find VERY few around here who are willing to help.

Is this guy for real? LOL

Get out your. 4" angle grinder and you could fit Dana 60 ring and pinion to fit, I hear....LOL

I for one have achieved over 21 MPG on a VX....and it is done exactly as. Riff Raff explained...

A lightweight tall skinny (contact patch) tire will deliver....and locking up the Torque Converter helps a lot, too.

I had great luck with Yokohama 315/75/16. And Buckshot Mudders 78-16....narrow but 36" tall!

As for the spelling bee....I use a tiny PDA with big fat fingers, to post and reply, so if I make a mistake....I just usually leave it, cause its easier than tryin to fix it on this micro keyboard....LOL

I think you missed the point. Its not about the spelling. I was trying to make a point. Not bash back or be on the offensive side. I'm just looking for answers, explanations and facts. Not how to drive.
    In fact there may be a misunderstanding about my VX. It is a 99. The rims came in a smaller size than the 00's and up. My smaller tires on the larger rims might make the stock specs of a 99 but I haven't done the math to see. If I went taller that may throw off the mph/mpg.

In the words of Mr. T - "I predict PAIN!"

If it's any consolation i get around 9mpg average !

OOPS, just read the rest of the thread and DUDE, can't believe you re-mortgaged your house to buy car parts, lol !!
    Last edited by crotchrocket : 04/26/2010 at 04:48 AM
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

Mr. Groves,

Please correct me if any of my interpretation is incorrect.

I see that you are listed as a "New Member". There's absolutely nothing wrong with that - all are welcome here. My point is that your total cost for participation in this forum is $0 so the free advice you've gotten is in fact FREE.

You asked a question and GOT a response from several members that they either learned from years of experience or actually took the time to look up the information for you. Do you realize how rare that is?

It sounds as if you didn't like the answers you got. Oh well. Personally I put a lot of value in the information provided here. Maybe you should take a moment or two to look at the member profiles for those that you are acusing of being 'couch potatos' (one is Super Charged, one is currently building an entire aftermarket drive train, one is considered the wiki-tire-pedia).

I'm not trying to fuel the fire. I just wanted to make sure that you understand that there are no intentional efforts underway to discredit you or what you are trying to do. There have been many ... MANY ... threads here about people trying to squeeze more mpg out of a VX. If you want to reinvent the wheel however, nobody will stop you. I personally would welcome you to perform the mod you have envisioned and come back and teach us a thing or two.

Here's a starting point to help you out:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15864

I think he was going the opposite direction on gearing that you are planning but at least you can determine if this is something that you want to persue.

BTW, I am the couch potato you talked about. There is plenty that I would like to do to my VX. I do have the technical background and am not afraid to turn a wrench. I just don't have the time to start any large projects right now.

Last point. Good choice on the VX for a tow vehicle for JetSkis. I tow a twin pack of SeaDoos with mine (they even match the color).

Best of luck with your project. I hope you continue to be a member and let us know how it goes.

Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Mr. Groves,

Please correct me if any of my interpretation is incorrect.

I see that you are listed as a "New Member". There's absolutely nothing wrong with that - all are welcome here. My point is that your total cost for participation in this forum is $0 so the free advice you've gotten is in fact FREE.

You asked a question and GOT a response from several members that they either learned from years of experience or actually took the time to look up the information for you. Do you realize how rare that is?

It sounds as if you didn't like the answers you got. Oh well. Personally I put a lot of value in the information provided here. Maybe you should take a moment or two to look at the member profiles for those that you are acusing of being 'couch potatos' (one is Super Charged, one is currently building an entire aftermarket drive train, one is considered the wiki-tire-pedia).

I'm not trying to fuel the fire. I just wanted to make sure that you understand that there are no intentional efforts underway to discredit you or what you are trying to do. There have been many ... MANY ... threads here about people trying to squeeze more mpg out of a VX. If you want to reinvent the wheel however, nobody will stop you. I personally would welcome you to perform the mod you have envisioned and come back and teach us a thing or two.

Tom
    Well said...

HI I WANT TO PUT ON MY VEHICROSS 20'' WHEELS WHAT SIZES OF TIRES I NEED IF I HAVE MY VEHICROSS STOCK AND I DON' T WANT THE TIRES TO RUB... AND I DON;T WANT TO LIFT THE VEHICROSS TANKS...

Quote Originally Posted by MMOROLEON View Post
    HI I WANT TO PUT ON MY VEHICROSS 20'' WHEELS WHAT SIZES OF TIRES I NEED IF I HAVE MY VEHICROSS STOCK AND I DON' T WANT THE TIRES TO RUB... AND I DON;T WANT TO LIFT THE VEHICROSS TANKS...
    Might get some responses if you start a new thread or at least post in one that is pertinant to your question.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

265/55/20

Quote Originally Posted by MMOROLEON View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Fellow VX member "TRIATHLETE" is absolutely right in perhaps starting a new thread more pertinent to your question would be best. However; realizing you are brand new to the forum and the nature of your question is tires/wheels, I'll be glad to personally assist you to the utmost of my ability. I've recovered your E-Mail address; so please look for my E-Mail in your computer in-box and we will discuss your topic off-line, so as not to disrupt this particular thread. Again, welcome to Vehicross.Info.

EDIT: After some quick research, these are the closest sizes to the OEM size of 29.5" O.D. for use with a 20" rim.

265/50R20 (30.43" O.D.) - Use this size "ONLY" if you want off-road A/T tread patterns (i.e. Falken Tire Co. & Nitto Tire Co.) - Unlikely to rub.
    295/45R20 (30.45" O.D.) - "Street" tire choices only (damn near identical O.D. to above tire, but wider). - May rub very slightly due to width + O.D.

275/45R20 (29.7" O.D.) - Damn near a perfect match for OEM-O.D., but only "Street" tread choices available. - Unlikely to rub.
    295/40R20 (29.5" O.D.) - A perfect matching O.D. to OEM., only "Street" tread choices availble. - Although wider, may not rub due to smaller O.D.

If only using "Street" tires on your VX, you may want to consider using taller 22" rims with the following tire sizes close to the OEM 29.5" O.D.:

285/35R22 (29.9" O.D.) - The 285 width will nicely fill-up the VX wheel-wells, and should be bolt-on perfect. - Unlikely to rub.
    315/30R22 (29.5" O.D.) - Perfect matching O.D. to OEM; very wide 315 series to give a mean aggressive appearance. - May rub due to width.
    Last edited by Riff Raff : 04/27/2010 at 12:05 AM Reason: Tire Sizes