Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: First Performance Utility Vehicle

Talking how about

The first crossover with the lower half of the body covered in BLACK cladding?

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    The first crossover with the lower half of the body covered in BLACK cladding?
    not a good idea since the cladding is clearly not black

Style certainly can play a big part in removing the obscure designation. That's what the managing editor of C&D said in their video review of the VX back in '99, while testing it in Hawaii. How about the first PUV that can go from competitive street handling to nimble rock climbing, which also introduced strongly aggressive styling features. (These features are on a great many cars today. Again making the VX first.) Or something like that?

Whew. Just out. The VX was spared from Forbes top ten list of car flops. Now we have to work hard to build up the VX image so it acheives the fame it rightfully deserves:

Legendary Car Flops
    These autos were the best at being the worst.
    .print
    send e-mail this page
    IM this page
    Buzz Up! By Hannah Elliott

1978 Ford PintoThe recent news that Consumer Reports put the 2010 Lexus GX 460 on its "Don't Buy" list has already impacted the vehicle's future--Toyota has issued a stop-sale order on the $52,000 SUV and commissioned extensive testing to determine the cause of its failure.

The safety warning could also pose a public relations problem for the beleaguered company--the GX is the only vehicle to receive the "Don't Buy" designation since it was instituted last July. Only 11 vehicles have received the less-severe "Not Acceptable" rating since the list began in 1969.

But it's too early to call the GX a failure. That label could come after a couple of years of poor reception. Think more along the lines of the 1971 Ford Pinto. Or the 2001 Pontiac Aztek.

MORE AT FORBES.COM
    » Photos: 10 Legendary Car Flops
    » The 10 Biggest Vehicle Recalls
    » Worst-Made Cars On The Road
    » The World's 10 Most Popular Cars

"The Aztek is the only car that I can remember that people would walk by and actually point and laugh at you when you were driving it," says Jake Fisher, a senior automotive engineer at Consumer Reports who has worked in the automotive industry for 14 years. "I remember being parked in it, and people would giggle and point because it was so hideous looking."

The Aztek, GM's first attempt at a crossover vehicle, isn't the only car to elicit such a reaction. The Lincoln Blackwood, the Yugo and the Cadillac Cimarron, in the opinions of the industry experts we sought, also make our list of the worst car flops.

Behind The Failures
    In addition to Fisher, who is also a professional driver, Mike Caudill, an automotive expert for NADA Guides, and Karl Brauer, editor-in-chief at Edmunds.com, contributed to our list of the worst flops in history. Each had his own ideas about what makes a vehicle a flop (the cars on our list must have been sold in the U.S. in mass-production volumes available to any buyer)--Fisher says the Honda Del Sol should be on our list because of its odd looks, poor driving performance and short production run; Caudill disagrees about the relative merits of its performance.

But our experts also fingered many of the same vehicles.

The Ford Edsel is one of those models. Along with the Yugo, Edsel is virtually synonymous with the phrase "automotive failure." It was produced from 1958 to 1960, ostensibly as a way to help create a new, up-market division at Ford Motor Company (Edsel cars cost between $2,500 and $4,000, which was more than Ford-branded cars at the time, but less than the Lincoln-branded cars; Mercury cars were priced about the same). But sales were dismal (84,000 total, about half of the projected rate) and critics lambasted its styling (a unique horse-collar grill, among other things), its reliability and overall quality.

The 1982 Cadillac Cimarron is another frequently mentioned flop. Cimarron was Cadillac's first try at making something small--dealers had requested a fuel-sipper because gas prices had become prohibitively high. The Cimarron was built on an economy-car platform and offered either manual or automatic transmission, with some amenities. But it appealed neither to Cadillac's loyal followers, who appreciated powerful V8s and Cadillac's domestic luxury edge, nor to buyers who favored Europe's luxury brands, whose cars out-handled and out-classed the Cimarron in every way. It was discontinued after just six years of production.

"It came at a time when Cadillac was trying to discover itself, and it was one of the ugliest vehicles they ever could have made," Caudill says. "It doesn't look like what you'd expect a Cadillac to look like. If you look at a Mustang now vs. a Mustang then, you go, 'Wow, cool.' But you don't look at a 1982 Cadillac Cimarron and go, 'Man, I need one of those.'"

It Takes A Special Car To Fail
    Not just any car can be a flop. Most have a combination of a stinted production run, drastically lower-than-projected sales (at least 50% lower than expected), and critical and/or popular disdain. It will likely also have poor safety or reliability scores, although that's not a prerequisite. One thing is certain: They all end up costing their makers a lot of money. Ford lost $200 million-$250 million (or $1.55 billion adjusted for inflation) on the failed Edsel venture, according to reports at the time. Years later, Ford also lost millions in settlements paid for lawsuits brought over safety complications with the 1970 Ford Pinto.

The Pinto was Ford's first subcompact car and was successfully redesigned to sell hundreds of thousands of units during its 10-year production run. But it earned a devastating and long-lasting reputation after reports of a faulty gas tank that could burst into flames during rear-end collisions. Hundreds were killed in fire-related accidents, and Ford received scathing criticism when investigators discovered that an inexpensive upgrade would have prevented the problem. All told, it cost Ford more to repair all the faulty Pintos than it cost to make them in the first place.

The 1984 Pontiac Fiero, too, had combustion problems: chronically low levels of oil in the car's engine led to roughly 200 reported fires and dozens of injuries, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and GM press releases.

Of course, many "flopped" cars have enthusiastically loyal cult followings: '80s-philes love the Back-To-The-Future-famous DeLorean, and collectors pay thousands of dollars for hard-to-find Edsels. Red Bull even fastened large soda cans to the tops of a fleet of bright-red Suzuki X-90s, ugly-duckling two-seaters that sold for just two years, in order to advertise its energy drink.

Other notoriously "bad" cars weren't really that bad, Fisher says: Maybe they just failed to resonate, or perhaps they were meant to spur something even better down the road. The Cimarron flopped--but it might have helped pave the way for Cadillac's 2010 $35,165 CTS, also a compact luxury sedan, which has re-energized the brand and won rave reviews from critics and consumers alike.

The same goes for GM's first potentially mass-produced electric vehicle, the EV1. While there's virtually nothing redeeming about the odd-looking, unreliable and expensive car, it does have a certain value, Caudill says.

"Sometimes in the automotive industry, you have technologies come out that help other automakers learn what not to do, as opposed to what to do," he says. "You have to applaud General Motors. They gave it a shot."

Top Five Legendary Car Flops
    Cadillac Cimarron
    Production Run: 1982-1988

Total Units Sold: 132,500

Flop Notes: Low sales; poor performance; didn't work coming from a luxury brand.

Ford Edsel
    Production Run: 1958-1960

Total Units Sold: 84,000

Flop Notes: Outré styling; low sales.

Ford Pinto
    Production Run: 1970-1980

Total Units Sold: Unknown

Flop Notes: Fuel tank problems led to combustion during rear collisions.

GM EV1
    Production Run: 1996-1999

Total Units Sold: 1,100

Flop Notes: Expensive and unreliable; low sales.

Lincoln Blackwood
    Production Run: 2002 in the U.S.

Total Units Sold: 3,300

Flop Notes: Low sales; expensive; carpeted truck-bed made it impractical.

Click here for the full list of Legendary Car Flops

A few missing

The VW Thing poor sales and stopped production due to safety issues

The Corvair the only auto I know to have actually had a book dedicated to its death trap status

Talking iT isnt

Quote Originally Posted by VXR View Post
    not a good idea since the cladding is clearly not black
    Clear black it is matte black

Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    Typically cars with obscure designations are left out of the history books and subsequently undervalued. Is that what the group wishes?
    Yes!!!

Well... I don't know about the group but that's what I wishes. It's the only way I'll be able to afford my dream of owning one of each color. Except Proton. Proton is for pooh-boys.

If we don't put forth the effort, the Wikipedia description of obsure will stand, but I don't thinks it's deserved, otherwise this thread would not have had so much comment. We should keep trying. My two cents, so to speak.
    Dude, you do realize you can change that Wiki entry anytime you want don't you? Jump on it man! Wax eloquent! In fact if you do that and put a bunch of crazy, erroneous stuff in there (e.g., claim the cladding and hood insert are black) you might get a little more mileage out of this flogged horse of a thread due to the resultant squabbling. Even if you do that though I still say unless you start talking some politics this thread will never even come close to The Kerry Thread...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Whew. Just out. The VX was spared from Forbes top ten list of car flops.
    Phew...we dodged that bullet...

You have no idea the "pins & needles" feeling I've been experiencing, waiting to see the Forbes opinion...

We're talkin total edge of my seat here...

My sarcastic point being...I don't care what the opinions posted on, or in, wiki, Forbes, C & D, whatever say...

I know that I get to drive the most baddest PUV ever produced on the planet, & it makes me happy...

Damn what history has to say...

The "whew" was tongue in cheek, for sure. Just a little humor to push things along.