Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: First Performance Utility Vehicle

Post First Performance Utility Vehicle

What was really the first performance utiility vehicle? Said differently, what is the VX's palce in automotive history. Was the Mercedes G-Wagon the first? I'm guessing the Porsche Cayenne thinks it's first but it would seem to owe alot to the VX, at least in terms of styling innovation. What does the group know about this subject? I hate to see the "obscure" history words used when describing the VX in Wikipedia. Don't you?

I wouldn't classify the G-wagen as a PUV only for the fact they were first designed with utility in mind. Just like Land Rover Defenders. They were used for military applications and utility needs, then became the fancy status symbols they are now. Maybe would consider the ML but they came out around the same time the VX was. Maybe an older AMC but they were more car like, the first crossover? I'd never heard of a PUV till the Vehicross so maybe that term was created for the VX?
    nznsi

I still gotta give that credit to the GMC Typhoon which has been brought up here a few times. I'm tempted to get one...
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Not even close

Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    What was really the first performance utiility vehicle? Said differently, what is the VX's palce in automotive history. Was the Mercedes G-Wagon the first? I'm guessing the Porsche Cayenne thinks it's first but it would seem to owe alot to the VX, at least in terms of styling innovation. What does the group know about this subject? I hate to see the "obscure" history words used when describing the VX in Wikipedia. Don't you?
    First general utility vehicle was the Jeep it stoop fpr GEneral Purpose vehicle GEP or Jeep. Built in a few days by the Bantam corporation in Butler PA for the army in WWII. It was built from spare parts but due to the small size of the Bantam Corporation the Army accepted their design and awarded the productioncontract to Ford. To assuage their guilt the Bantam Corp was given the trailer contract for the 2 wheel jeep like trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    I still gotta give that credit to the GMC Typhoon which has been brought up here a few times. I'm tempted to get one...
    Ah, yes I forgot about those. And there are the special edition Ford Explorers (saleen?) And Durango's? Then there is the 5.9 limited Grand Cherokee in 98 only. After the Jdm VX was already being built though.

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    First general utility vehicle was the Jeep it stoop fpr GEneral Purpose vehicle GEP or Jeep. Built in a few days by the Bantam corporation in Butler PA for the army in WWII. It was built from spare parts but due to the small size of the Bantam Corporation the Army accepted their design and awarded the productioncontract to Willys and Ford. To assuage their guilt the Bantam Corp was given the trailer contract for the 2 wheel jeep like trailers.
    I wouldn't call the Ford GPW or the Willy's MB "Performance" utility vehicles which is what he was asking about. The first SUV would be attributed to either the first GM suburban or the Willys wagon though.

This is an informative dialog. Let's find the best place for the VX to slot into and end it's automotive obscurity. Thanks.

well the question was posted

Quote Originally Posted by Knivx View Post
    I wouldn't call the Ford GPW or the Willy's MB "Performance" utility vehicles which is what he was asking about. The first SUV would be attributed to either the first GM suburban or the Willys wagon though.

First Performance utility vehicle. By the standards of the time the Jeep was the 1st utility vehicle designed for multiple uses in various terrains. It is in fact the vehicle for ehich the sport utility vehicle was descended from. Remember the Jeep was a troop transport, ambulance, artillary transport and spotting. If it is not a utility vehicle nothing is.

IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    First Performance utility vehicle. By the standards of the time the Jeep was the 1st utility vehicle designed for multiple uses in various terrains. It is in fact the vehicle for ehich the sport utility vehicle was descended from. Remember the Jeep was a troop transport, ambulance, artillary transport and spotting. If it is not a utility vehicle nothing is.

IMHO
    Yes the MB/GPW was a utility vehicle. But not a "sport" utility. At least in my mind. It all descended from those jeeps true but then they all became their own thing. As far as the puv niche the vx was definitely one of the first. It's all semantics.

The AMC Eagle, which was an AWD crossover that debuted 30 years ago, was ahead of its time and kinda funky looking - especially the version based on the Gremlin. Look at a Nissan Murano, Infinity FX or even the VX and tell me you don't see a little bit of Gremlin in them. I'm sure by today's standards its performance would be rather underwhelming but back in the days of Chevettes, B-210s, Pintos and 17 second Corvettes, the motive force from its 4.2 liters wasn't too shabby - and despite the generous ground clearance, it handled more like a car than an SUV.

So that's it then - the Eagle has my vote for the first PUV and spiritual predecessor to the VX.

I never considered the Eagle a "performance" anything. The SX4 was the nastiest of the litter and was/is considered the performance variant of the the Eagle but it was still just a car and not a utility vehicle. Vote DENIED! :P

True

Quote Originally Posted by Knivx View Post
    Yes the MB/GPW was a utility vehicle. But not a "sport" utility. At least in my mind. It all descended from those jeeps true but then they all became their own thing. As far as the puv niche the vx was definitely one of the first. It's all semantics.
    But the question was not Sport Utility it was performance Utility so I stickl by my answer.

Easy...Pfffffttt! LM001.....1981....Lambo

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Lamborghini LM002....?

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Vote DENIED! :P
    What?! No love for a jacked up AWD station wagon with a big straight six?

Ah well... Performance is relative I guess. I rode in one back in 1980 and it felt like a rocket...

...compared to my MG Midget!