Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: First Performance Utility Vehicle

Actually after reading your post I looked for some Eagles on eBay. There's love! I did see two Lambo LM's on eBay yesterday too - $90,000+ I think.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Ha! I remember the Lamborghini LM002. I'd forgotten about the term "Rambo Lambo" - hadn't heard that in years (decades?) and it made me LOL when I saw it on Wiki.

This is a very lively discussion! Let's keep it going until we find a spot for the VX, and fix the Wikipedia citation, once and for all. Thank you one and all for your very insightful input.

Sambo I already found a spot for the VX - my driveway! I'll have to check out the Wikipedia entry - I don't know what you're talking about...

Zeus forget that $300 woody wagon on eBay - here's the type of Eagle you'd be more interested in:

I kinda like these though:

Some people stuff V8s in them..

The LM00 is my vote. If I could ever get my hands on one of them!

The guy who built the green exo-caged one is named Curt, he owns Evolution 4x4 in Casper Wyoming. It IS cool! It has the drivetrain of an early Bronco. He has built up a few Eagles - we used to lovingly call him "Joe Dirt" but last year he shaved off the mullet. His latest project is a rat rod style crawler. I like Eagles, I just can't consider them a performance SUV... not even a performance car. Still, I would kinda like to have one of those SX4's.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPro48 View Post
    Sambo I already found a spot for the VX - my driveway! I'll have to check out the Wikipedia entry - I don't know what you're talking about...

Zeus forget that $300 woody wagon on eBay - here's the type of Eagle you'd be more interested in:

I kinda like these though:

Some people stuff V8s in them..

Oh and here are some more pics of it if you are interested (see a VX in the distant future... I mean background? That reminds me, he said he always liked the VX.:

Too demonstrate my arguement

Jeep is an automobile marque (and registered trademark) of Chrysler. It is the oldest off-road vehicle (also sport utility vehicle – SUV) brand. It inspired a number of other military Light Utility Vehicles such as the Land Rover which is the second oldest brand. The original vehicle which first appeared as the prototype Bantam BRC became the primary light 4-wheel-drive vehicle of the US Army and allies during the World War II and postwar period. Many vehicles serving similar military and civilian roles have since been created by many nations.

Jeeps were used by every division of the U.S. military and an average of 145 were supplied to every infantry regiment. Jeeps were used for many other purposes including cable laying, saw milling, as fire fighting pumpers, field ambulances, tractors and, with suitable wheels, would even run on railway tracks. An amphibious jeep, the model GPA, or "seep" (Sea Jeep) was built for Ford in modest numbers but it could not be considered a huge success

Okay the rest of you making niminations let see some proof of your nominations worthiness and maybe we should do a poll
    Last edited by circmand : 04/30/2010 at 01:11 PM

Perhaps we ned to look at the styling of the VX to place it ahead of the other 4 wheel drive examples. Maybe it's the aggressive nature of the styling that sets it apart? That Lambo doesn't seem to have really aggressive styling like the VX, it looks more like a big DeLorean or Hum Vee to me??? At any rate, aggressive styling became very popular after the VX, just look at the BMW M6 coupe for example. Who started all that stuff? Was it the VX, it's a coupe, also?

every generation

has its unique styling that prefaces what is the cool thing for the new generation. From tail fins on caddies that inspired it on all vehicles, to going from round edges in the 60s to sharp edges in the 70s. From station wagons to mini vans (yes thats right mini vans were hot and extremely popular and copied when they first came out.) Lee Iacoca tried to get Ford to make them instead of the station wagon but was refused so he went to Chrysler and saved te company. Convertables used to rule the day then in the 70s and 80s you could barely find one but now they are back. The VX actually look a lot like the ground shuttles in 1999 a space odyssey (a 70s TV Show)

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    has its unique styling that prefaces what is the cool thing for the new generation. From tail fins on caddies that inspired it on all vehicles, to going from round edges in the 60s to sharp edges in the 70s. From station wagons to mini vans (yes thats right mini vans were hot and extremely popular and copied when they first came out.) Lee Iacoca tried to get Ford to make them instead of the station wagon but was refused so he went to Chrysler and saved te company. Convertables used to rule the day then in the 70s and 80s you could barely find one but now they are back. The VX actually look a lot like the ground shuttles in 1999 a space odyssey (a 70s TV Show)
    This is helpful. Is the VX the start of aggressive styling that even the new Honda Crosstour sports?

I think the VX represented the birth of the modern crossover, no more, no less. There are two theories on crossover design: (1) put a sports car body/engine on truck underpinnings, or (2) put a truck-like body on car underpinnings. Isuzu chose the first model with the VX, but most other manufacturers have gone the second route with much more success. Turns out people generally want the tougher, more capable look of a truck while retaining the soft ride of a car.

That said, I think you do have to acknowledge the AMC Eagle SX4 as a close relative to the VX. Maybe the two represent the general dichotomy amongst crossovers. Crossovers that look more like trucks/SUVs (VX, Toyota Highlander, etc.), and ones that look more like cars (Eagle SX4, Crosstour, it's Acura equivalent).

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    I think the VX represented the birth of the modern crossover, no more, no less. There are two theories on crossover design: (1) put a sports car body/engine on truck underpinnings, or (2) put a truck-like body on car underpinnings. Isuzu chose the first model with the VX, but most other manufacturers have gone the second route with much more success. Turns out people generally want the tougher, more capable look of a truck while retaining the soft ride of a car.

That said, I think you do have to acknowledge the AMC Eagle SX4 as a close relative to the VX. Maybe the two represent the general dichotomy amongst crossovers. Crossovers that look more like trucks/SUVs (VX, Toyota Highlander, etc.), and ones that look more like cars (Eagle SX4, Crosstour, it's Acura equivalent).
    I can agree with this observation. I think you are on to something. But is it the full story? Let's think about it.

talk about a unique eye magnet...

Zeus that is quite a ride - looks straight outta Road Warrior. I can just picture a hoon with a mullet driving it too!

Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    Is the VX the start of aggressive styling that even the new Honda Crosstour sports?
    Before there was the Crosstour, there was the BMW X6.

And before the X6 there was...