Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hitch??????

Hitch??????

Not really troubleshooting but......
    I'm looking for a recever hitch for the VX. The most common one seems to be the Curt hitch, problem is, most of the photos show a really nice curved looking unit for the VX but when I come to order I'm told the unit I will get is the stright round hitch and not the nice curved one.
    Anyone recommend a hitch that actually looks good on the VX and maybe where to get one?

Thanks

I have the Curt

Quote Originally Posted by hellomoto View Post
    Not really troubleshooting but......
    I'm looking for a recever hitch for the VX. The most common one seems to be the Curt hitch, problem is, most of the photos show a really nice curved looking unit for the VX but when I come to order I'm told the unit I will get is the stright round hitch and not the nice curved one.
    Anyone recommend a hitch that actually looks good on the VX and maybe where to get one?

Thanks
    It looks good I installed myself but still have to drill the additional 4 holes but it looks good most everything is underneath so straight/curved does not matter

Any pic's?

hope you don't plan on off-roading, rear clearance go's to heck in a hand basket with that hitch.

Seems like someone here was going to start making the hitch that our beloved friend Tone (RIP) was making. Maybe someone will pipe in on that.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

I think the clearance issue depends on how you look at it though. A few folks here have commented that it makes a nice skid bar if you get into trouble while crawling. The theory is that without it you could crush your cladding.

I have Tone's hitch so I wouldn't know, I just remember reading that point before.

I'll have to check the brand on my hitch, but I like it alot. It does hang down a little bit but like Mav stated, I'd rather drag my hitch than my bumper. That and it doesn't hang much lower (if at all) than the gas tank skid plate, so your not really losing THAT much clearance IMO. I'll have to check it out in the morning
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

I think clearance is probably not the right word, the issue really is departure angle.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    I think clearance is probably not the right word, the issue really is departure angle.
    your right, couldn't think of the right term, maybe it was the wine last night....

So is this hitch pretty much the only one available? It's only to pull my ski.
    Off roading is not really a problem, not with any type of incline. Speed humps & pot holes are really the biggest things here in Florida. Gonna stick a 2"-3" lift on her anyway.

Thanks to all for the input

hitch

I could dig up some info on mine if u want
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Milwaukee WI

'01 Ebony Black VX, 0801; '01 Kaiser Silver VX, 1002
    Contact Ganzman. He has a vendor that has replicated Tone's hitch. It's the best looking unit, IMO.

Randy

Thank guys. I've looked high & low and cannot find anything else so it looks like I'll have to stick with the Curt hitch.

It doesn't take much loss of departure angle to make a big difference. I have Tone's hidden receiver & like it a lot. I was using a hitch step in it & went off road. I went through a small ditch & the hitch step snapped right off. It wasn't a big deal but it was where I mounted my license plate so I had to drive 2 hours home worrying that I was gonna get pulled over for no rear tag.

If you can find someone who will make the hidden receiver for you - I highly recommend you go that route.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

How much weight can you put on that? It doesn't "look" like it could handle 5K lbs but I don't have one. They do look awesome though

For those that wheel, I think the curt hitch is the way to go. It works awesome as a rear skid plate, I look at some of the gouges in it and think "good thing that wasn't the rear cladding or the gas tank...
    of course, I am a silver lining kind of guy, plus aesthetic value is not at the top of my list

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson