Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crack!

Crack!

I've had a 1/2 inch crack in the center of the windshield that I went out to try to get fixed today.

I feel it should have been easily filled; Lloyds said they would "try" but there was the possibility that the crack would worsen and the whole glass would need to be replaced. I was thinking hmmmm, I bet they crack it on purpose. Well, it cracked more.

FL law has it where you do not have to pay anything for glass replacement, I figure the place wanted to be able to bill a larger amount.

So the old glass is still there with a bigger crack and I have to jocky around with the company to get the whole thing replaced and end up with leaks.

Jonathan

I believe the rodeo windshield is the same, and has a heavy factory tint band at the top, you might want to get that one.

John C.

Thanks, but that would be a problem, I am a taller driver, hee. But nice thought.!

Jonathan

Make sure to let your insurance company know, they probably have someone they deal with who'll get it done right and quick.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

When you get a crack you are pretty much screwed, a chip or something like a bb hole and they can take care of that. Once it starts to creep or spiderweb then it is almost impossible to stop.

Lightbulb Cracks Happen...

... That's why your "comprehensive" insurance (if you carry it) covers it. Mine got a mystery crack a few weeks ago, started small, less than 2 inches. Called my agent immediatly, they sent a glass expert out within 4 hours to my VX in the parking lot where I work. In less than 4 hours the crack grew from 2 inches to nearly a foot. Glass guy says any crack longer than a dollar can't be safely repaired. Reason being, the compound used to fill/bond cracks is harder than glass, and would create a razor shapr projectile in the event of a crash. The repar would have been free, but because the crack grew, the windshield had to be replaced. Bottom line, all you pay is your deductible under you comprehensive insurance coverage. Your rates are not impacted, because this is an issue beyond your control.

BTW my new windshield has a nice dark tint across the top, dosen't block my view that much and cuts down on sun glare
    NAVIGATOR

My deductible is $500, but they waived it for some reason. Geico.

Jonathan

I have 2 chips and one is spiderwebbing already. I am avoiding my Insurance company because I have a $500 deductible too. I am also terrified of having it leak afterward.
    RichD
    ------------------------------------------------
    ...because vinyl just sounds better!

Unhappy I feel your pain!

I recieved a small chip right on the lower edge of the windshield and it grew up into a crack that now reaches to within 2-3 inches from the top :cryr:

0 deductible insurance...just to lazy to make the call
    Arizona is notorious for its "chip sealing" AKA throwing gravel on a paved road!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329
    I wish my windshield had a gradient tint... I get way too much sun glare.

But I dislike the adhesive films because I think they look 'cheap'

Is it really true that we have the Rodeo windshield?
    ~ ~ ~
    Van Eyes - slightly trimmed, Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA head lamps, Red (port) & green (starboard) 5 LED 'headlight horn' lights, PIAA silicone windshield wipers, K&N Filtercharger (in stock air box), MacNeil WeatherFlectors, Assorted cargo nets from previous vehicles, Optima red-top battery, Transmission Interceptor, 20 LED 'light tower' turn signals & brake lights, 18W PIAA W2 running lights, Trooper skid plates, Black Luverne step bars w/Tone's custom brackets

Wink I was told by the GLASS DOCTOR...

...Our windsheild is special. Plinkleton, I believe is the name of the manufacturer, makes the windshield special for the VX, or so I was told. But if you ask me, it sure looks like a Rodeo windshield

BTW the tint is sweet, and I got to watch the guy install it on my lunch break, way cool. Also make sure the installer is very careful removing your OEM moldings or buy a set before install. The bulk moldings on the glass truck were way too fat and ugly. Luckily I was standing their the whol time and made sure everyting came off in one piece. No need to worry about leaks either, the seals are totally ripped out and replaced with a special quick set liquid black silicone sealant. Heck it's better than new.

Interesting... What did that run? About $275 - 300?

Cost...

$497.88 installed in under an hour, while you watch... covered totally by comprehensive insurance, so your actual cost will be whatever your deductable is.

Next question... how long did it take for them to get the right windshield in stock? Hours? Days?

Nevermind.. I just realized you said they were there within 4 hours...

I wonder where they bring them in from.

I didn't ask...

Originally posted by Spike
    Next question... how long did it take for them to get the right windshield in stock? Hours? Days?

Nevermind.. I just realized you said they were there within 4 hours...

I wonder where they bring them in from.
    I have no idea where they got it, I was too awe struck at how fast and courteous they were.

BTW, since the install we've had plenty of down pours from massive thunderstorms with high winds. No leaks . Better than new, I tell ya