Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A New Weapon in the Ongoing War for Cargo Space

A New Weapon in the Ongoing War for Cargo Space

As some of you may remember, I bought my VX in April of 2008 when my only anticipated passengers were myself, my girlfriend, and my dog. As luck would have it, we found out Sonya was pregnant just two months later, and ever since I've been in a battle to keep the VX practical from a family transport perspective.

Along the way I bought one of Tone's cargo boxes to allow me to keep both tools and the dog behind the back seat; I bought a Yakima Skybox 16 for rooftop storage; and after reading this thread:

The Ultimate Rear Hitch Cargo Carrier Box for VX’s

...I looked into picking up a Rola Adventurer System (part #59109) with the SwingAway feature. Not cheap, but I found a sweet sale online that offered a $100 discount + $7 shipping for a 150 lb. carrier. I installed it a week ago and have been driving around with it since. Works great, no sag to the Tone hitch at all. The carrier did bounce side-to-side a bit, so I had a towing and metal fabrication shop install the bolt you see in the last picture to tighten the mount inside the hitch box. And the light module that Tone included with the hitch didn't have the correct inputs/outputs for the box, so I had to upgrade that as well.

The swingaway option is an absolute must on this unit since the rear door is inaccessible without it. With that option in place, our door swings to the left, while the carrier swings out to the right. Couldn't ask for a more perfect system. We're heading to Wisconsin tomorrow, so I'll let you guys know how it works out on a long trip.

Check it out...

Last edited by vt_maverick : 07/21/2010 at 08:11 AM

That's awesome! I've got 2 little ones so I've been thinking the same thing lol. Any pics of your cargo box inside?
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Interesting, that wouldn't work for me and our stroller but I like it. I've been using a small trailer when I need to haul big stuff lol but when we wanna go on a long trip and not use her Camry, this rear cargo carrier looks sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by RamAirZ View Post
    That's awesome! I've got 2 little ones so I've been thinking the same thing lol. Any pics of your cargo box inside?
    This has a better explanation:

Taking the pet barrier to the next level... literally

Quote Originally Posted by RamAirZ View Post
    Interesting, that wouldn't work for me and our stroller but I like it. I've been using a small trailer when I need to haul big stuff lol but when we wanna go on a long trip and not use her Camry, this rear cargo carrier looks sweet!
    What kind of stroller do you have? We have one of those three wheel offroad monsters and I think it would probably fit if you took the back wheels off. Keep in mind that the box lid is concave underneath, meaning you can carry stuff that's an inch or two taller than the box itself.

If I get time to try it out tonight I'll take a picture for you.

We have a graco fold up 4-wheel stroller, it also allows the infant car seat to just plop right in, I had it in there the other day on it's side along with our umbrella stroller and it took up most if not all the rear space lol, was just at the top of the seats, little over with the umbrella one on top

The ultimate anti-tailgator device!

Here in Texas, as in most states with some obnoxiously ignorant drivers, the vx has been great for not seeing tailgating, simply because I can't seem them anymore!

However, in the event one of those jokers forgets how to stop (I have nightmares about this constantly!) THIS would be a great 'safer barrier' alternative!
    Fill it with water, or hire the neighbor kid to hang out in there and make a peep-hole, so that when an idiot gets too close, bam! Out comes the machine gun-toting 12 year old in full war paint!!
    "Forum signatures are for fools." ~Anonymous Fool

Sounds like a good place for the trunk monkey SBT...

Bah, just go buy a Blazer! Kidding! That's a sweet carrier - I like how it seems to match and extend the cladding out further. Have a good and safe trip!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Thats a sweet looking VX.

Srry, but all that extra baggage makes it look ridiculous. If you really have to travel with that much crap, you got too much crap.

lol so your saying a family of 4 and a dog can all fit in a VX no problem WITH all there crap for a long road trip? Your crazy lol. I learned that just bring the strollers along for just a walk through the local park. I could probably get away with just a roof top carrier but for some long camping trips or what not that extra storage out back would be great

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Thats a sweet looking VX.

Srry, but all that extra baggage makes it look ridiculous. If you really have to travel with that much crap, you got too much crap.
    Me + my wife + a 15 month old + a dog X 3000 mile round trip X 2 weeks in Wisconsin = a lot of stuff. Believe me, if it was possible to carry less we would. The baby is definitely the differentiating factor though - without her the three of us really don't need but one carrier if that.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Now to complete the look...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Now to complete the look...

I feel an evil grin coming on!

Vt mav- I forgot about trunk monkey!!

If y'all haven't seen those commercials, do a YouTube and make sure you're not holding a cup of hot coffee or something valuable. Saved those on the hard drive a few years back and they STILL crack me up (then again, I'm a looney toon)