Thread: Super winch hub review

Super winch hub review

I bought a set of superwinch hubs from Indy4x. They are very easy to put on. I tore one up on my last trip. When the CV joint broke, the remaining piece ended up getting shot out through the hub. No fault of the hub. I called superwinch, mailed in the broken piece, and they sent me two brand new ones!! Sweet, now I have a spare.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Nice! The only issues I've heard from the Superwinch hubs are the allen head bolts in the "cap" stripping out and then having to be drilled out. I have the Aisins on mine. Always nice to have spare parts lol
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

Some folks like having the hub as the "fuse" for their IFS, rather break the hub than something else...personally I like a stronger hub than the Superwinch.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

That's what happened to the Superwinch hubs on my Mitsubishi Montero. Luckily you don't need all the bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by RamAirZ View Post
    Nice! The only issues I've heard from the Superwinch hubs are the allen head bolts in the "cap" stripping out and then having to be drilled out. I have the Aisins on mine. Always nice to have spare parts lol
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

I've actually sheared a bolt off in the aisins and had to EZ out it out. I then switched over to allen head capscrews which have a larger area on the head so if the internal hex gets rounded out, you can use visegrips to still remove them. They are also rated for more torque than what comes with the stock Aisins. It's a cheap upgrade I really recommend it, especially for anyone who wheels far from home at all. I'm also in agreement with Aisins being the best choice for a non-fuse system. When I researched my hubs, it was the general consensus that strengthwise aisins were the strongest. However, if you do break one, I seriously doubt aisin is going to have replacements sent out to you for free.......
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    I've actually sheared a bolt off in the aisins and had to EZ out it out. I then switched over to allen head capscrews which have a larger area on the head so if the internal hex gets rounded out, you can use visegrips to still remove them. They are also rated for more torque than what comes with the stock Aisins. It's a cheap upgrade I really recommend it, especially for anyone who wheels far from home at all. I'm also in agreement with Aisins being the best choice for a non-fuse system. When I researched my hubs, it was the general consensus that strengthwise aisins were the strongest. However, if you do break one, I seriously doubt aisin is going to have replacements sent out to you for free.......
    The problem with the Aisins, as we found out at the last Uwharrie meet, is they have a brass or bronze, internal wear part. If your aisin hub has any play in it, you need to get the rebuild kit from indy4x. As that starts wobbling, it allows play in the CV joint, and then, voila, broken CV shaft as it wobbles around under torque. The rebuild kit is like 70 bucks each. I will stick with my cheap superwinches Besides, my VX is a trailer queen

You could say the same things about any lockable hub. The only reason to go with them is what Marlin said about their great parts replacement policy. The bottom line though is that most hub designs have only 1 maybe two moving parts in them, so wear and tear is so low that you would almost never have to replace parts on them. I think in the wheeling community, Aisins are regarded as being pretty bulletproof. Warn and superwinch hubs aren't bad either, just more expensive initially. Most people start out wheeling the cheaper junkyard parts and only upgrade when stuff breaks.