Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BENT Lower Links....!!....BODY Mounts

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.

BENT Lower Links....!!....BODY Mounts

Has anyone replaced their lower links??

If so..what did you use..

Stinky Fab??..they have a neat "pre" bent set.

Any other suggestions..I want some REALLY BEEFY ones.

I also seem to have a difference in compression on the body mounts.
    Drivers side about 5/8 ths smaller than pass side.

Could just be driver poundage (!) over the years!

Anyone replaced theirs?

Thanks

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I know Indy4x has some nice ones, not sure how they compare to the Stinkyfab ones. Can't help ya on the body mounts. I know the front body mount on the Rodeo's on the core support had issues and I have a writeup on how to fix it easily.
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

The SF and Indy links are both nice but I would go with the indy's. They are beefyer and adjustable. However SF is in your backyard and Dallas could fab up a nice set to your specs...the kid gotz mad skillz!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I heard a wise man say, "no matter how much you engineer it, something has to break". You get to pick which portion of your suspension brakes. I haven't read anything on here about anyone tearing up their lower links? There may be one buried somewhere. The shop once accidentally put mine on the lift and sat it on the rear links, no damage, PITA to get off though, dummies.

I would personally go with the SF, as much as I like to support Indy, the prebent ones with the extra clearance just makes sense to me, plus Stinky Fab is just a cool name...

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Jo,
    I don't know if you paid close attention to Dumke's ride, but he had the Indy 4X heavy duty, adjustable, lower links in Moab. Hopefully he'll chime in soon.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Marlin...I have bent mine several times.Ihave just bent them back using a small jack. You must just notbe trying hard enough. As a matter of fact they are bent now.

As for the bent SF links...if you have rock sliders they interfear with the movement.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Jo...didn't you know?...

You're supposed to rotate the body mount pucks from side to side every leap year...

It's in the manual...

FWIW...both Big Jim & I, & a few other Zu's from MWIOR have experienced "bent link syndrome"...

You are not alone.

If it weren't a common problem, Dallas never woulda come up with pre bent links...duh.
    Last edited by Ldub : 06/09/2010 at 06:11 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Marlin...I have bent mine several times.Ihave just bent them back using a small jack. You must just notbe trying hard enough. As a matter of fact they are bent now.

As for the bent SF links...if you have rock sliders they interfear with the movement.
    That is nice to know, I will not be buying new ones, no new stuff unless I break old stuff first. As for trying hard enough...you know better.LOL.

It's so weird seeing my name typed on here but not be about me, I rarely come across other Dallas's lol. He's a cool dude, I've talked to him multiple times back when I lived in Cali and had the Rodeo.

I will be getting the bent SF ones...makes more since to me...I want all the clearance possible and iff the stockers were made with the same bend, no-one would be having issues....I don't see the strait ones having much benefit....but I have bent a stock one also....they just hang too low...

Both my 99 and 93 Troopers had rear links that had a bit of a bend from the factory, though not as much as the Stinkyfab ones. Sometimes people freak out when they notice that bend, thinking there is something wrong. But I have heard that others were straight from the factory, so I don't know what you guys got.

Having said that, I think upgraded links are a good idea if you are going off-road with any seriousness...I saw what Desha did to the link on her old RS Trooper in Moab a few years back, pretzelized is a word that comes to mind.

I have Indy4x straight links on my Trooper, and it is apparent from the missing paint on the underside that they contact the rocks fairly often. Hit a factory link hard enough and it could fold up on you easily.

While bent links would offer a little more clearance, straight ones are going to be stronger and I'm not sure the clearance is worth getting the bent ones.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Jo,
    I don't know if you paid close attention to Dumke's ride, but he had the Indy 4X heavy duty, adjustable, lower links in Moab. Hopefully he'll chime in soon.
    <---- ME chiming in ... yes I have Indy links and they are quite beefy. I got them in a full package from Indy which had a few other things with it(was cheaper than to buy oen by one.)

Anyways I havent had a problem with them yet. They double as my rock sliders lol.. J/k. But I dont ever worry about them bending because how beffy they are. Now prebent ones maybe better but i dunno. But I can say I havent been hung up because of mine so I dont get why clearance would be and issue. I am by no means and expert lol.

They didnt bend or break here.. Even tho was more my tire kicking this up lol.

may have to zoom in but those are it.. I can take a closer picture if you need.

Besides adjustable they are also greesable. Sadly I dont know why you would want to but I keep em greesed.
    "It's not sexual harassment, I am just building up your tolerence"-Dumke

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
    Both my 99 and 93 Troopers had rear links that had a bit of a bend from the factory, though not as much as the Stinkyfab ones. Sometimes people freak out when they notice that bend, thinking there is something wrong. But I have heard that others were straight from the factory, so I don't know what you guys got.
    You sure about that, (not that I doubt You,) BUT....
    I've never seen any Pre-bent ones on ANY Isuzu....
    Can anyone else confirm this?

Quote Originally Posted by BigMeatVX View Post
    Can anyone else confirm this?
    Hmm, I went out and looked at the VX. Both of mine have a curve to them, I wouldn't call it a bend though. Mine could be due to fatigue. I don't know, but they are not straight. There is no obvious bend point, but they look the same.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMeatVX View Post
    Yes...quite sure. They have a bit of a kink to them, not in the middle but roughly a quarter to a third of the way along...I can take pics of my stock links when I get a chance. I think I know where they are in my garage...it is not a big bend but it is there. And I distinctly remember it from my old 99 Trooper as well.