Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dual-Exhaust

Re: "ricers"

Not real fond of using the "rice" term, but...

Everybody has their own set of experiences, and somehow I have not personally ever run up against a ricer car that was all that fast, and few that looked good to me either. Speed isn't everything and to me ricer is a kind of post-mod look and not a statement on performance or make and model, so it could be fast and still have that look, which in general is ugly to me.

Posers and ricers aren't necessarily the same. My neighbors used to have a riced-out 300ZX. Naturally it was already nice and fast without mods, but they ruined the looks of it with little aesthetic mods that made what was a nice car look stupid (and didn't waste any time totalling it either). Sometimes one should leave well enough alone. Now one of their cars is a Nissan Murano (granted, it's faster than a VX but like I said, speed isn't everything).

Anyway, what I started out to say is that most are wannabes. Despite its looks, my Dodge Avenger ES was not really all that quick and in almost 8 years still never went up against a ricer it couldn't take. Well, there is one caveat - I won't be an idiot and put myself and others at risk to win some dumb street race and even if I could win I draw the line at being unsafe, so sometimes the less sensible person thought they beat me because of the circumstances. With my Avenger we're talking about a pure stock 2.4L 24v V6 automatic making only 165hp, and it must have outweighed 'em all too. And like I said before, my wife's van can usually take 'em too, although it is quick for a minivan I guess. LOL

OK, I'm throwing in my 2 cents.....
    I have yet to see a Honda beat my VX! Unless they have NOS they really don't have a chance.
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

Bantan -- two questions:

1) Are those rear-lights the smoked ones from clear-corners? How bright are they compared to stock?

2) What the heck are those two things up on the roof? Look like miniature cell-phone towers.

AlaskaVX --

The supercharged Honda (ok Acura) NSX that I don't own could take a VX anyday, 375HP and only 3100lbs.

Originally posted by AlaskaVX
    OK, I'm throwing in my 2 cents.....
    I have yet to see a Honda beat my VX! Unless they have NOS they really don't have a chance.
    A stock 2003 Accord V6 LX will do 0-60 in 6.6 sec, and I think we ALL know what a NSX will do!!

I doubt he really meant all Hondas. And what about a S2000?

The NSX is pretty much a dream car of mine, but not sure I'd go back to a "lowrider" after the VX. Thought the NSX used to have 275 hp (not 375), and the listed horsepower on the '02 3.2L MT Acura NSX-T is 290hp (most current I could find in a hurry). The 3.2L is nearly as torquey as our VXs at 224 ft. lbs. The AT 3.0L comes in at 252hp/210ft.lbs.

Splitting hairs really, but I specifically remembered them being a 200-something horsepower car. Probably because I had expected more whenever i first looked into that.

It was/is the zanardi #10 with comptech supercharger and other misc upgrades.

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    Throw 1500 lbs. into the ricer and then see how much quicker than a VX it becomes.

I remember when the Grand National came out. At official drag races they would handicap it with the mandatory addition of weight because the 5.0L Mustang crowd couldn't handle being whupped by a "real 5-passenger midsize" Buick V-6.

If you really want to humiliate a ricer, tell him you'll race him once at the area of his choice and once at the area of yours (off-road). Total the 2 times and whoever is lowest wins.

I can picture cheap ground-effects and gigantic, useless rear spoilers flying everywhere!

Originally posted by SGT.BATGUANO
    Throw 1500 lbs. into the ricer and then see how much quicker than a VX it becomes.
    Not that this whole scenerio isn't ludacris anyway, but if you were taking this seriously, you would have to specifically state what model you were talking about. And adding 1500 lbs. to compete is comparing apples and oranges (as if they weren't being compared anyway). If you're going to add that weight to the Honda, then it's not worth comparing in the first place.

Originally posted by WyrreJ
    Bantan -- two questions:

1) Are those rear-lights the smoked ones from clear-corners? How bright are they compared to stock?

2) What the heck are those two things up on the roof? Look like miniature cell-phone towers.
    A1- They are the CF look tail light covers.

A2- Those antenas are actually 2 Yakima bike racks, must be the angle of the pic.

My Gallery
    The Bantan's Relm
    Gallery
    Myspace Page
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things we care about."

I just put my name down on a list for pre-owned (leased) NSX arrivals at a local dealer here. They are usually in pretty good shape when they arrive and are resold with a damned good dealer warranty. The last one they had was a sweet redwith 27k miles, the only defect visible being a small dent in the hood. It went for $34k. I was always a fan of these things, even though a brand new one was out of my fundage. Hopefully, knowing the sales manager and being a drinking buddy of hers, I will get a good deal.

Ah yes, I would be keeping the VX too. Good God no, would I get rid of my VX!

As for the dual exhaust on the VX, I will have to talk to my brother and see if he can arrange the install for next weekend. I have done him far too many favors lately and he said he owes me at least this fab.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    Thanks right, you wont sell your VX! It saved your life!

There are a lot of people here who are not allowed to part with their trucks, ever. ;Dr;

this forum
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

OK the NSX is one of my dream cars too! And I got wooped by a S2000 but I was thinking "ricers". I have beat every Accord I've come accross, not sure about a 2003 though.

If you really want to humiliate a ricer, tell him you'll race him once at the area of his choice and once at the area of yours (off-road). Total the 2 times and whoever is lowest wins.
    I can picture cheap ground-effects and gigantic, useless rear spoilers flying everywhere!
    LOL! There are soooooo many people up here with those giant spoilers, do they actually think they do something? I mean do they even think they look good? :laughr: just baffles the mind!

Originally posted by AlaskaVX
    LOL! There are soooooo many people up here with those giant spoilers, do they actually think they do something? I mean do they even think they look good? :laughr: just baffles the mind!
    Actually they often increase drag.

Wink

Yeah...I read an article on the Toyota Celica (stk) vs. the
    TRD Racing Version with all the ground effects and bigger, taller rear wing. I admit, that I like the looks of this added package;
    but, the magazine did some 1/4 mile tests and as IsuZOOM stated, they detected more aero-drag and thus slower times than the stock (stk) version.

As for dual exhaust on the VX...I'd love the look; but, not sure I would like the sound. I'm too "stuck" on the sound of deep, throaty V-8's.

I don't want a "bumble bee in a can" sound!
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 08/27/2003 at 02:01 PM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

wormgod - if you haven't already, be sure to start hanging out at the forums on http://www.nsxprime.com/ - they are great bunch, at least as tight as the VX community. I had 3-4 guys, whom I had never met before, volunteer to go test drive and inspect the zanardi for me after just one post. If you got NSX questions, they got NSX answers.

The great thing about the NSX is that it barely depreciates at all. If you were to buy a new one at the end of the model year (with the big discounts that have come in the last couple of years, like $20K off MSRP), drive it mostly on weekends and then sell it a year or two later you'd probably pay more for gas and insurance than you did for the privilege of owning the car.

bantan - wow, those rear covers look way better than I had expected. I bought a pair along with my front covers but the pre-applied velcro stickers looked so dorky I didn't even try putting them on the car to look at them. I love my front headlight covers though. I've got this theory that they really help to reduce the car's LIDAR profile, along with the honeycomb grill and raked windshield - but then again I've only been lit up once, going 65 in a 55 but I wasn't even flagged down.