Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dual-Exhaust

Previous owner of:1999 White Vehicross Ironman 1970

Dual-Exhaust

Finally went today and had dual-exhaust installed on my VX. The sound, well its gonna take some get-n used to...sorta does sound like a deck-T out Civic??! Will the sound change once the newness wears off? My VX is no longer quiet, it now has something to say;-)
    The price you pay to be different......

Please don't take this wrong, but...

I've thought about that same mod. I think it's a great idea and would look great and all the rest.

However... well, I'm not trying to be mean AT ALL, but in all honesty if my VX sounded like most of the tricked-out Civics I come across, I'd be embarassed and do something about it fast. Maybe I'm not thinking of the same sound you're talking about though - I don't know. But to me the sound of a modified Civic sound just means lots of noise and nothing to back it up. It doesn't sound tough to me. It's whiny. Compare it to the sound of a rumbling V8 TransAm or something with some real power, the point being there is NO comparison. Two very different sounds. I've heard those cars (Civics and others like that) make all kinds of noise while I was blowing past them off the line in my wife's Caravan without even giving it everything I had. Hey, go with what you like, though. You would have an ace in the hole in the sense that you'd actually have some respectable oomph to surprise some folks like me who may underestimate you on account of the sound.

Although I've read that for some of the folks here who have put in the PV mufflers, it has settled down a bit after a while for them, I don't know if yours would or not in your situation.

Again, this is just my two cents and nothing personal whatsoever. Great idea, great if you like it (that's all that really matters), but I'd go for more of a growl.

I ran in to the same problem with my duals. I found that using flow master's made the noise more deep and less rice. I have heard the powervault on some VX's and I don't think they sound like a civic. So if you haven't yet check them out.

Previous owner of:1999 White Vehicross Ironman 1970
    When I had it put on the dude asked me how loud I wanted it, I said not very....well the system he put on had, I believe, 18" glass-pacs on it...My question, can I take it, have regular mufflers installed to replace the glass-pacs, what kind of sound would that give me....I want the two pipes out the back but I don't really want the noise. The noise would be fine if I was like 16 but I am 10 years older than that..Any info??? Would have-n regulat mufflers installed be the less costly fix?

I keep putting off slapping a dual exhaust on my VX, but I do have the PV. Hopefully, before winter kicks in, I can step up to the plate and finally commit.

I was pretty sure someone here had a dual exhaust WITH the PV installed, and said it sounded great. I dont recall who it was though.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

My 2 cents

I got my PV2 (get it now) installed at Meineke A bit expensive, but worth it. They cut / tapped into the main pipe at a point behind the gas tank installed a baffle to divert some of the CO2 to the passenger side. I installed lighted tips. I was a bit sceptical at first did not want to look or sound Ricey, but extremely happy I did it. The VX should have been built this way. Wish I could've gone dual all the way with 2 PV2 mufflers.
    The Bantan's Relm
    Gallery
    Myspace Page
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things we care about."

I have a question... are you guys/gals doing this just for looks, or are you trying to get a little more power out of the VX? I say this because it has been done in the past by more than one VX'r, and they have found little to none improvement in hp.

Bantan, I would assume (and this may be a stretch) that you are doing this only for aesthetic reasons?

Vanity or Function

Originally posted by Dallas4u
    Bantan, I would assume (and this may be a stretch) that you are doing this only for aesthetic reasons?
    I admit the lighted tips may only seem to be for aesthetic reasons, but they also seem to ward off tailgaters, however adding the PV2 was a performance MOD it has been documented to add about 15 rear wheel HP as you may already know, so its a combination of looks, perfomance, & function.

Bantan, are you using the U-haul/Danlan hitch with that step bar? It looks good!

haha you guys speak of modified hondas like theyre nothing. i know many hondas...civics..whatever, the cheap "ricer" cars you guys always diss that run 1/4's under 13's. yes of course there are riced out ones that make a lotta sound but dont go no where...but i've been embarrassed a lotta times when i thought the ride was a ricer and raced it but got burned by something that runs faster than a Carrera 4....i guess looks and sounds can be deceiving. but yea...

dual exhaust is real nice, looks very stylish and balances the rear.
    How you gonna stop me im ill-literati/ im like an ill-mariachi wit an automatic shotty/ like tony montana to yo body/ now you really dont wanna come and test me/ i spit verbal fusilades im headin crusades/ to weed out all the fakes like it was da salem witch trials/ yo @ss betta run or else you gettin baked at the stake/ and that'll put a smile on mah face/

How much are dyno runs?

Originally posted by raquethomas
    Bantan, are you using the U-haul/Danlan hitch with that step bar? It looks good!
    I got the "Frame Mount 2" Receiver Hitch Kit" from Tone

Oh, again for the compliment.

Nobody is dissing ricers (not all of them anyways ). I think its just the "general" statement about the "majority" of ricers that make the "worthy" ones look bad. Quite simply put, I know a LOT of guys with hooked up ricers that can pull their weight, but they too like to poke fun at us SUV guys by saying there is NO SUCH THING as a SPORT/High performance SUV. As long as there are cars, there will be egg thrown. It's always gonna be a he said she said, opinionated thing. No big deal.

But, back to the subject at hand....

Bantan, did they install a heat shield when they ran the pipe behind your gas tank? Just looking under mine, it seems like the only proper place to run the added pipe, but it still seems a bit close to the tank. Also, it looks like you got straight pipes. I dont see yours sloping down at all. I myself would like to go that route. Looking good.

As for performance, dual exhaust shouldnt give much if ANY boost. The PV alone, being split with a dual exhaust, would probably give just just as much boost as using a single pipe. Looking under the VX, there doesnt appear to be any more room for dual PV's, but that could be pretty cool. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Originally posted by WormGod
    [B]Bantan, did they install a heat shield when they ran the pipe behind your gas tank? Just looking under mine, it seems like the only proper place to run the added pipe, but it still seems a bit close to the tank. Also, it looks like you got straight pipes. I dont see yours sloping down at all. I myself would like to go that route. Looking good. [B]
    They did not install a heat shield, but now that you mention it I will have to ask them about this. As for the slope, they bent the pipe so it comes out straight, I wanted it that way so that the ligths in the tips could be seen since they are recessed.

Originally posted by WormGod
    Looking under the VX, there doesnt appear to be any more room for dual PV's, but that could be pretty cool. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
    There is plenty of room you just couldn't run them the way you would want them to (straight on both sides). Once you go to the PV2 there is a LOT of extra room were the old monster of a muffler used to be. You could run both PV's side by side (where the old muffler was) and route the pipes accordingly.

I don't think you would see any gain by doing this and you could end up with a wierd sounding exhaust, since it seems PV's make different sounds. Who knows it could sound really cool?