Thread: Fuel Smell

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fuel Smell

I recently have had a strong smell of fuel when at idle, sitting at lights and starting.

Also when idle turning in parking lots etc...my VX decides to shut off. I then have to put it in park and restart.

Has anyone had this (these) issue (s) or have any suggestions on a fix before I take it somewhere?

The help is much appreciated!

look under the VX for signs of leaking, you will have to be quick though as gas evaporates quickly.

i would be inclined to guess that its your fuel pressure regulator going bad. i had problems starting when mine went, on a warm start, i would get either a very very high idle or a very low idle and stalling. occasionally coming to a stop, especially on a hill, the vehicle would stall as well

replacing my fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator eliminated these problems completely.

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    look under the VX for signs of leaking, you will have to be quick though as gas evaporates quickly.

i would be inclined to guess that its your fuel pressure regulator going bad. i had problems starting when mine went, on a warm start, i would get either a very very high idle or a very low idle and stalling. occasionally coming to a stop, especially on a hill, the vehicle would stall as well

replacing my fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator eliminated these problems completely.
    x2 on the FPR. Be careful which one you buy, the autozone one is junk, mine is already bad again after about 7K miles. When you do the job, there is a write up about it, there is one PITA bolt on the back of the bracket. Some replace it, I just left it off when I was done. Good luck, just use the search feature to find the thread....sure someone will do it for you soon

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

TADAAAA!!

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...or+replacement

And since you're in Denver we could make a meet out of it (I'm over in the Aspen valley). Get a few of us together, replace an FPR....sounds like a party....WOHOO!!
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    TADAAAA!!

And since you're in Denver we could make a meet out of it (I'm over in the Aspen valley). Get a few of us together, replace an FPR....sounds like a party....WOHOO!!
    See I told ya, how is anyone supposed to learn to do anything for themselves around here?

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    TADAAAA!!

I'm in...we could repack wheel bearings as part of the parrtaaaa!

And if we get enough of the right people there we could have one of every color for the photo shoot...
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    I'm in...we could repack wheel bearings as part of the parrtaaaa!

And if we get enough of the right people there we could have one of every color for the photo shoot...
    You guys sure know how to party out there.... must be the high altitude/thin air. COme down to the east, we can do a tranny swap and timing belt tensioner replacement...now thats a party.

We'll have to see about a party!! I've also read some threads that suggest the intake manifold gasket could be the cause. Any thoughts or should I concentrate on the FPR?

Thanks

intake manifold gasket could possibly be contributing. Usually if its bad enough to cause symptoms, you see a check engine light. easy way to test is to spray carb cleaner or starter fluid in the area around the gaskets with the engine idling, if the rpms change, youve got a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by daisyrae View Post
    We'll have to see about a party!! I've also read some threads that suggest the intake manifold gasket could be the cause. Any thoughts or should I concentrate on the FPR?

Thanks
    I'll second Eric on this one. I don't think that a fuel smell would be associated with the manifold gasket. That would be a sucky leak where the FPR could be a spitty leak. I love using technical jargon (Learnt it from Brotha Dub).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.