Thread: Hot transmission

Hot transmission

I have had my VX for about 6 months and noticed with the hot weather my transmission tunnel and floor get extremely warm. So warm that the driver's seat mounting bolts are hot to the touch. Is this normal or am I having a transmission issue. The car drives fine with a little hesitation from 1st to 2nd which appears normal to me with 71k on the clock. Any info will be helpful.
    Last edited by Smokey : 06/12/2010 at 05:02 AM
    Smokey, still chasing the Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I have had my VX for about 6 months and noticed with the hot weather my transmission tunnel and floor get extremely warm. So warm that the driver's seat mounting bolts are hot to the touch. Is this normal or am I having a transmission issue. The car drives fine with a little hesitation from 1st to 2nd which appears normal to me with 71k on the clock. Any info will be helpful.
    I would check the tranny fluid. Any tranny maintenance in the last 12 months? Those are the same symptoms that mine displayed. I had it flushed at an Isuzu dealership, I believe they did not follow the correct procedure for the refill. About 5K miles, 1 yr later, after the tranny running hot, hot enough that I could feel it at the Ebrake handle, it would thunk into 1st and second, then it started slipping 3rd and 4th. Next thing you know, I bought a new tranny. I think the current one is going to have the same problem, I printed out the instructions for how to fill our transmission, when the guy turned it back over, the papers were spotless clean. I doubt he even looked at em. I have noticed delayed shifting, a hesitation into third, but not hot yet. Glad I got 3 yr warranty.
    I would service it yourself, ASAP!!!!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

Her ya go...

Thanks guys, I'll go for a full transmission fluid change and see if that works.

fwiw mine has always been pretty hot like that.. at 96k miles now, did the trans at 50 and 85k miles, no problems knock on wood

but after reading this thread, think im gonna double check my fluid levels..

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    I've noticed the mine gets hot too but I have the kilby skid plates trapping the heat. We do have an AT oil temp light on the VX that should come on if you're tranny is overheating.

IMO a good service never hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    I've noticed the mine gets hot too but I have the kilby skid plates trapping the heat. We do have an AT oil temp light on the VX that should come on if you're tranny is overheating.

IMO a good service never hurts.
    I wouldn't put much faith in that sensor. Hence the fact I lost a tranny. I need to update my scangageII to the most recent version so I can add monitor points. I would be curious to see regular temps vs "high" temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I wouldn't put much faith in that sensor. Hence the fact I lost a tranny. I need to update my scangageII to the most recent version so I can add monitor points. I would be curious to see regular temps vs "high" temps.
    i have the Xgauge version... trans temp doesnt show up on my VX

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Mine too.....I had no idea we could update the scangauge to display that!
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.