Thread: Transfer case speed sensor woes.....HELP!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Update: Stopped by again to discuss the fact the speed sensor was working on the old transfer case and I was having issues with needing to buy a new one because now of a sudden it stopped working. He told me it was throwing a P0722 error code. Which I just looked up:

Output Shaft Sensor Circuit No Signal
    (DTC P0722 Transmission Output Speed Sensor (OSS) Low Input) 7A1-48

I'm beginning to think he simply forgot to plug in the OSS as shown on page 7A-44. I think this is the sensor from the ebay link above. I couldn't find it on any of the schematics.

Update: Lots of lulz. He just forgot to plug in the OSS after installing the transfer case. Everything is good to go!

great

now is the time to find a new shop befre you need it. any have qualified mechanic would double check connections before even saying anything let alone try to get you for more repair work. I would just this guy either unqualified or untrustworthy.

Update: Even more great news. The speedo quit working on me last week. I took it back in and they said the VSS was bad. I ordered a new VSS for $190, got it in today and 'oops' it still doesn't work. (I'm going to ask whether or not he took a volt meter to the VSS or just 'assumed') Turns out the speedo gear inside the transfer case is stripped out. Is this even replaceable without having to take the whole transfer case apart?
    I would love to find another shop, but in our town, this is the only shop I've found in the last year within a 1.5 hour drive that will work on Isuzu's.

[edit] I re-read DTC P0502 VSS Circuit Low Input. If the tech followed this, then the stripped gear would have given him no signal. So I guess it would be plausible to assume a bad VSS.
    Last edited by mrlegoman : 06/28/2010 at 06:27 AM