Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need a new driveshaft!

Lisa you can check the mount pretty easy. Just need to crawl under the VX (when it is cool) and try to push the transfer case/tranny up and down. If it moves the mount is either bad or the bolts have come loose (has happened to quite a few on here including me). Because the mount has a rubber "block" in it it tends to vibrate loose over time.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Thanks Billy, yeah, Jay and I looked at it this weekend and he couldnt get it to move.....I will start with u joints first and see what happens.
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Figure anything out?
    ~*~Cece~*~

- Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

CeCe, according to Allen the prime suspect is a worn slip-joint.

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13741
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=18329

I have not looked into mine yet...the luxury of it not being my DD. But if that is indeed the problem, a driveshaft shop should be able to replace that slip joint for you on the existing driveshaft.
    Last edited by BigSwede : 07/27/2010 at 10:07 AM
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    I still have not had time to take mine in to the driveshaft place......going to do my front brakes this weekend......greasing my driveshaft made the noise go away for a day! Cece what if this whole time its been your slipyoke and you just had it to the wrong place to get fixed? I would take it to a driveline place where its all they do.......Ryan let us know if your is fixed after they replaced your ujoints alone....

correction....I will be gimping it to the shop in the morning.....not sure if when I accidently drifted it about a month ago (glad I didnt flip) if that did something to the brake caliper on the passenger side, but I have a bad grinding over there with braking and took the tire off tonight and go figure cant brake loose the bolts holding it on.....never can, dang bad shoulder and no strong guys around! hoping that its something easy as this one feels like a Cece VX lol.....thank goodness for medication.....

Quote Originally Posted by VX crazy View Post
    this one feels like a Cece VX lol...
    Too funny... this will be the new term for chronically troubled VXes desperately in need of a skillful or wealthy new owner...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by VX crazy View Post
    and no strong guys around, hoping that its something easy .....
    Jeez Lisa...SETTLE DOWN...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by VXIRONwoMAN View Post
    Too funny... this will be the new term for chronically troubled VXes desperately in need of a skillful or wealthy new owner...
    Sounds better than a "Munson"...

Exclamation update NEW CULPRIT for me

Driveshaft place said yoke is perfect, U-joints are shot. Called Merlin, got both u-joints ordered for the rear driveshaft, but wouldn't you know it each u-joint is a different size and 1 is back ordered So I need to figure out which other size I need and order that one from Indy4x, because the driveshaft shop has my rear drivesahft and only 1 of the new u-joints.

ALSO:

Looking through the Vehicross Manual and found out that our FRONT PROPELLER (DRIVESHAFT) has CV's much like our front axles and if these go out it can cause driveline shaking. SO I crawled under there and BOTH of my CV's on the FRONT driveshaft are shot and look like they have been that way for a while, the joint is dry and does not look good at all. Looks like after I get new U-joints for the rear I will be having the front driveshaft (or front propeller as the manual calls it) rebuilt. Any suggestions on how to do this or who to go to? Think the same place could rebuild it? Also manual says if shaking is happening to try and reposition the front driveshaft (propeller) to different holes on the front (diff) side when reinstalling allen bolts. I will try that after rebuilding the CV's on the front driveshaft (propeller).

For more info if you have the Vehicross Service manual just do a search for "front propeller shaft" and you will see what I mean.

Found some more info, so I think 1 item to rebuild the front propeller shaft (from the transfer case to the front axle) is this:

Transfer Case : Input Shaft Repair Sleeve http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1118230

I am assuming I will need the bearings, seals, and pilot bearings as well? Maybe?

That sleeve looks like a temperary fix...just a piece that gets wedged in there to take up the slop.

I was thinking that sleeve is the CV boot for the front propeller shaft, maybe I am way off, I am just in the beginning stages here on understanding how to fix the CV's on the front driveshaft. After I talk to the local driveshaft place tomorrow I might know a little more.

Ryan, what a pain in the hiney! Thank goodness I have my u joints off other vx, when I called Isuzu they had them, so that must be a new thing to be backordered....ugh....

I ordered both size U-joints from Indy4x hoping one of them will be the one I need, and then maybe I will return the one that Isuzu had in stock if both Indy ones work. Isuzu does not list any parts for the rebuilding of the front driveshaft, I am just going to take it off and take it down to the local drivetrain shop and see what they think.