Thread: Need a new driveshaft!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Need a new driveshaft!

My mechanic is out of the country and I am not sure which part of the driveshaft I need. I know he balanced it a while ago... but it is all messed up. I need a new one. I ordered one through a dealer, it was backordered, I paid for it, they got taken over by new owners and I got screwed. I need a driveshaft! Can anyone help out? Spare parts anywhere? Otherwise, I will order it through good ol' Merlin!
    ~*~Cece~*~

- Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    C I know you have talked about this before but what problem is it giving you? How could you tell you needed driveshaft? I am not sure I would sell mine as it seperated in the wreck so I am not sure if that messed it up.......but I have a grinding noise since Moab, & 912 springs & 32 tires, on deceleration and wondering what issues you had.....
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Are you sure you need an entire shaft or just the u-joint at the rear of the shaft? Unless something hit the shaft there is really not much that can go wrong with it (possibly your mech mis-balanced it?). The u-joint is what usually goes out on a shaft. Usually if they are bad you will have some slop in the shaft...you will be able to move it side to side or up and down a bit. I have a u-joint in my garage that I ordered from Merlin a while back so he should be able to get them. I would try that first. You would want a new one anyways if you replace the shaft anyways so might as well try that first.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

may wanna PM Travelin2. He's the one that added a disconnect to his driveshaft for towing. He's prolly got more experience with the driveshaft than anyone.

You could also PM Marlin. He found a cupla VXs in boneyards & could help you contact the right person.

Billy's right. You may only need to remove the driveshaft & take it to a specialty shop to be balanced. Then reinstall with new U-joints.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    may wanna PM Travelin2. He's the one that added a disconnect to his driveshaft for towing. He's prolly got more experience with the driveshaft than anyone.

You could also PM Marlin. He found a cupla VXs in boneyards & could help you contact the right person.

Billy's right. You may only need to remove the driveshaft & take it to a specialty shop to be balanced. Then reinstall with new U-joints.
    Let me know what you find out, I can get the one here, it only has like 80K on it. He is reasonable with his prices, and shipping for the U joint wont be bad, 15 bucks for USPS flat rate. If the whole shaft, I will have to look into the price. Let me know.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

I know a couple of years ago my VX was shaking when I got up to 40 mph. I soon discovered it was my U-joint that needed replacing. If it's shaking at around 35-40 mph that's what I would look at first.
    Peace.
    Tom

p.s.
    We missed you and Gill at Moab this year. Hopefully, y'all can make it next year.
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

CeCe, according to Allen the prime suspect is a worn slip-joint.

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13741
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=18329

I have not looked into mine yet...the luxury of it not being my DD. But if that is indeed the problem, a driveshaft shop should be able to replace that slip joint for you on the existing driveshaft.
    Last edited by BigSwede : 07/27/2010 at 10:07 AM
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    I still have not had time to take mine in to the driveshaft place......going to do my front brakes this weekend......greasing my driveshaft made the noise go away for a day! Cece what if this whole time its been your slipyoke and you just had it to the wrong place to get fixed? I would take it to a driveline place where its all they do.......Ryan let us know if your is fixed after they replaced your ujoints alone....

correction....I will be gimping it to the shop in the morning.....not sure if when I accidently drifted it about a month ago (glad I didnt flip) if that did something to the brake caliper on the passenger side, but I have a bad grinding over there with braking and took the tire off tonight and go figure cant brake loose the bolts holding it on.....never can, dang bad shoulder and no strong guys around! hoping that its something easy as this one feels like a Cece VX lol.....thank goodness for medication.....

Quote Originally Posted by VX crazy View Post
    this one feels like a Cece VX lol...
    Too funny... this will be the new term for chronically troubled VXes desperately in need of a skillful or wealthy new owner...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by VXIRONwoMAN View Post
    Too funny... this will be the new term for chronically troubled VXes desperately in need of a skillful or wealthy new owner...
    Sounds better than a "Munson"...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by VX crazy View Post
    and no strong guys around, hoping that its something easy .....
    Jeez Lisa...SETTLE DOWN...