Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dashboard modifications + more

Dashboard modifications + more

Well I decided to do some stuff to my car but didn't want to pay anyone to do it. So I tried fixing some things myself.
    Here is a quick photo log.

First Thing I wanted to do was clean the drain ports under the hood insert. Two of the mounts broke.

So I made news ones

And bonded them into place.

Then I was thinking that the stereo isn't really that great. I saw another member put an LCD in his dash and thought it was pretty cool so I gave it a go. I wanted a big LCD though so I got a lilliput 8" wide sreen. Then took it apart.

Then I cut a hole in my dash and test fit the LCD Bezel

The directions on the can said to dab on some resin with a paint brush then apply the fiberglass.

While this first layer was curing I realized I like the center vents on the car and decided not to block them off. So I put the vents one slot down and started making a foam bridge for between them.

I then wrapped the foam in foil to make sure it didn't melt from the resin.

Between waiting for layers of fiberglass to cure I decide to sort out the computer and stereo situation. I purchased a mini-itx board with nvidia ion graphics power. I thought the small size would be beneficial but it was even better than expected. I also got a GPS sensor, infrared lamps for the bumper, nightvision camera, uniden bearcat police scanner, Centrafuse 3.0 software and a complete 2000w stereo system. Everything came together nicely, the IR lamps are even the perfect size.

So I mentioned the mini-itx board was the right size. Here is the height
    and footprint.

stock stereo case to house the computer rather than make my own. I found some good parts in the process I will reuse later to automate the lid on a special compartment.

Yeah buddy!

Cut a hole in the top for the fan and its done.

I can even put the face back on but it will be off since it will be behind the LCD.

Test fit

So now a few more rounds of painting, sanding, and filling holes from air bubbles.

Last edited by LiquidVX : 06/19/2010 at 11:58 PM Reason: fix image

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Cool WoW Dude...

Nice work.....

WOW!!! I do not have the patience for stuff like that. I do think its cool though. Fiberglass and I do not have a good working relationship. Keep us updated.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

I'm curious about the IR lamps - are you using them for proximity or?

Great job on the rest - I'd like to do something similar but was thinking of putting an iPad in there...

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Liquid,

This is very interesting to me as I have considered the same thing in mine but wasn't sure how the vents and controls would relocate. Please do keep us posted as you now have me thinking of doing it again if your relocations are a success.

Thanks for taking this on and sharing the process! Awesome job so far.

Also, for others taking on similar jobs there is a body glazing calling Icing:

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/usc-...y-p-10969.aspx

This stuff is AMAZING for details and finishing. I used it on the toy prototypes I was producing and it's essentially a polyester plastic like final product and is INSANELY easy to work with.

It sticks to nigh on anything and is easy to finish, sand, etc.

Good luck Liquid.
    macintosh man

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyapollo View Post
    I'm curious about the IR lamps - are you using them for proximity or?

Great job on the rest - I'd like to do something similar but was thinking of putting an iPad in there...

-- John
    The IR lamps are for night vision driving. I am using one of the button blanks I got from Marlin to control a Stealth mode. With Stealth mode engaged all of the exterior lights are turned off while the IR lamps and night vision camera are turned on. The Lilliput 8899GL-80NP/C/T automatically switches to the camera's channel when it senses a video signal which is good because that is one less relay I have to wire up.

The iPad is one way to go and I had considered it. I have seen others do it but I needed something with more processing power. The board I chose is the IONITX-A-U, it has built-in 6 channel audio and will be doing exterior video DVR with GPS data overlayed on the video. I was able to source all the parts for my system for less than the price of an iPad so I found that appealing as well, but I can't take it with me so I guess it's a trade-off. I thought about doing like a caddy to make the PC removable but then decided against it. If you go with the iPad I would make sure you have the dash space, I think the iPad is a little too big for our dash.

Quote Originally Posted by technocoy View Post
    Please do keep us posted as you now have me thinking of doing it again if your relocations are a success.
    The relocating was probably the simplest part of this whole thing. You have to disconnect a couple cables from the back of the AC controls and route them under the dash support so the controls fit in their new location. Then remove the bottom plastic of the dash do you don't get shavings in your car. Cut out the ashtray and power socket plastic. After you have to make new mounts for the heater controls. Take some cardboard and cut it to shape a mold, these pieces are placed on the inside of the dash plastic. Tape them in place so your mold does not have run off. Pour some premixed plastic type resin in to fill the mold. After it cures drill out the mounting holes for the heater controls and you're done with that part. All that is left is to trim the interior vent plastic and make a new duct to connect the dash vents to the AC system. I folded up some cardboard and taped it to hold, then glassed it up for strength and insulation. I could have just left it cardboard and duct tape but I assumed moisture would have it way with it over time. I will post pics of the process when I get a chance.
    Last edited by LiquidVX : 06/20/2010 at 11:42 AM

Wow......................that's going to be SWEET! Now, how much are you charging to do that mod for a fellow VXer?
    Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

The screen will be mounted totally flat right? How do you think the glare will be when driving? Are you running windows CE, automotive edition? Windows Media Center 2005? It would be interesting to take the software/hardware from ford's sync system, which runs off of windows CE.

Quote Originally Posted by tomdietrying View Post
    Now, how much are you charging to do that mod for a fellow VXer?
    Ha, let's see how mine comes out first.

Quote Originally Posted by atilla_the_fun View Post
    The screen will be mounted totally flat right? How do you think the glare will be when driving? Are you running windows CE, automotive edition? Windows Media Center 2005? It would be interesting to take the software/hardware from ford's sync system, which runs off of windows CE.
    The screen will sit slightly recessed with about an 1.25" overhang but glare may still be an issue. A video review of this screen on Youtube said glare wasn't too bad but that remains to be seen.

Ford's Sync would be interesting but I wanted a full fledged computer, just in a small form factor. After bench testing the computer I found it was fast enough to run Windows 7, Centrafuse 3.0, and 720p Avatar without lag. I stripped down Windows 7, streamlined the bios, gave the computer 4Gb of ram and use a OCZ Vertex 96GB SSD for decreased boot time. I needed something with extra power so the computer could drive 2 screens and wake from sleep in 5 seconds.

where is the second screen? The Intel X-25 SSD has the best read performance of any of the MLC SSDs, I'm using the 80gig right now. You really shouldn't need 96gb, as 30gb should be all the on board storage you'd need if you have an ipod/mp3 adapter. I think it would be a pain in the *** to have your car sync up with your music library every day when parked at your house - if you have an ipod it would be easier to bring that with you and dock it and play through the car-puter.

For Kat and Tom's benefit, I would just like to point out that these are your pocket protector guys.

Seriously man, this is going to be wicked cool when it's done. Can't wait to see the final pics!

Ya I have been debating about putting a pc in my truck with a touch screen monitor but for now its been just thought. Cant wait to see how this comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    For Kat and Tom's benefit, I would just like to point out that these are your pocket protector guys.

Seriously man, this is going to be wicked cool when it's done. Can't wait to see the final pics!
    No some of us like to keep our writing utensils handy

Gotta be honest tho they did lose me on the stream lining the bios and the ssd for boot up times.

Patiently awaiting more pics.
    "It's not sexual harassment, I am just building up your tolerence"-Dumke

Quote Originally Posted by atilla_the_fun View Post
    where is the second screen? The Intel X-25 SSD has the best read performance of any of the MLC SSDs, I'm using the 80gig right now. You really shouldn't need 96gb, as 30gb should be all the on board storage you'd need if you have an ipod/mp3 adapter. I think it would be a pain in the *** to have your car sync up with your music library every day when parked at your house - if you have an ipod it would be easier to bring that with you and dock it and play through the car-puter.
    At the time of buying the 96GB Vertex was on sale for $190 and the 80GB X25 was $230 at NewEgg. The Intel touts 250MB/s read speed and the OCZ 240MB/s so I thought the OCZ was a good compromise. Also Tech Spot's bench tests went as far as to say OCZ was slightly faster but I doubt that it is. I could have used my 30GB but wanted something with a little more space since I am using Windows 7 and will be running some big programs.

I definitely won't be syncing my entire 400GB music library, just some artists. I have a Nokia N900 with 64GB storage I will use for some music and video files but I mostly listen to Pandora now. Which is good since Centrafuse has a plugin for it.

The second screen will be where the airbag was, the cover will flip up and back into the top to act as a sun shade. It will be the control interface for another project I am doing, screen for the navigator/passenger, video playback of traffic cam/films, and of course games.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumke View Post
    Gotta be honest tho they did lose me on the stream lining the bios and the ssd for boot up times.
    By stream lining the bios I mean just going in and turning off features that won't be used like RAID so it doesn't have to load the drivers.

SSD is means Solid State Drive so it should handle the seasonal temp difference here in New England and withstand road vibration since there are no moving parts to cause platter damage. It's faster too.

Quote Originally Posted by tomdietrying View Post
    Wow......................that's going to be SWEET! Now, how much are you charging to do that mod for a fellow VXer?
    Peace.
    Tom
    The more I read this thread the less I believe I could afford to pay someone to do it.