Hey gang,

I just joined up a week or two ago. I've read a ton here and have gotten a helluva schooling on what's possible with our VXs. Have to say, I'm pretty excited about them, too.

Here's the deal. My 1999's engine started knocking deep and loud at about the ~80K mark two years ago. I was told it pretty much needs a new motor or a rebuild. I didn't have the smash to do that, so I just garaged it. Now it's time to get it back in action.

I figure while the work's being done, might as well do it right (within reason). I'm open to swapping the engine with a PROVEN alternative, but I'm not going to upgrade the transmission. I'm trying to keep it on somewhat of a budget. So what I'd like to accomplish is basically to max out the performance within the tolerance of the transmission. (Admittedly, I have NO IDEA what an upgraded transmission would run, but I imagine it would be a significant uptick in the project cost.)

The place that's doing the work is relying on me to sort some of the details out before they start tinkering, and I want to be confident in my choices and educated on the costs before I pull the trigger.

So, experts out there, can you lend some focused advice to a grateful 10-year owner whose VX needs some TLC? I've searched, I've found, and I've read on here. I've shopped around on eBay for 8th-digit "X" VIN motors. I've been excited about the Direct Injection chatter, and gutted after learning about the associated wiring issues. Same with the supercharger option, only to learn they're disco'd and now waiting for a new option that's been long in the creation. (Should I stick with the OEM motor so I'll be able to SC it when the kit is available?) Should I have my motor rebuilt and maybe worked a bit? Should I get a swap? If I get a swap, should it be the later model less prone to oil consumption, etc? If I DO get a later model, will it be a clean drop-in or will my mechanic be like, "ummm.... WTF?" cause the ECU or harness or whatever else I don't know about will be different?

I'm all ears, you guys and gals. And again, I'll be very grateful for any truly experienced advice here.

Cheers!
-V