Thread: Lower Ball Joints and CV's, PAIN IN THE BACKSIDE!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lower Ball Joints and CV's, PAIN IN THE BACKSIDE!

So I'm due to go to France in 2 weeks off roading in some caves and the VX needs some new front outer CV joints and lower Ball joints (thanks everyone for your help in getting the correct 33 tooth outer CV's [TOM!] )

Went to fit them this weekend and had a REAL pain getting the lower ball joint off, eventually with a bit oh heat and a BF hammer it released itself, I then split the outer CV joint from the half shaft and fitted the new one, however like an idiot i greased it up before installation and theres an internal cerclip that needs pushing in carefully when putting the new cv joint on so i couldnt see anything i was doing and got covered in CV grease....NICE. Anyway i snapped that circlip and for some angry reason decided to put it on anyway as i cant see the half shaft can travel enough to pull out of the outer cv joint.

I mounted the new ball joint and proceeded to put things back together, and **** the lower ball joint was wrong. Turns out the 3.2 trooper has a different lower ball joint to the 3.5 trooper!!!!!! so i had to take the CV out again, take the new ball joint off that i cant take back as i installed the grease nipple etc and put the old one on. Then discovered that the BF hammer had an adverse effect on the castle nut thread took a fair amount of filing before getting the angle grinder out and cutting the stud so i could get the nut back on enough to move it out the way till next weekend.

All in all a fail in my part!!! AND the ABS light has come on meaning i probably knackered the sensor on that hub and i just checked the price of a new one and it made me cry

Have ordered the 3.5 (98-2006) trooper lower ball joints today and waiting for a replacement circlip for the cv joint which i'll have to pull apart next weekend.

And who knows maybe i'll get both sides done rather than just breaking one side

Incorrect part

Correct Part

Last edited by crotchrocket : 06/21/2010 at 06:49 AM
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!