Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Moab 'ZuZu XV - May 2012!

Quote Originally Posted by tysamigo View Post
    So this will be my first time going and my first time meeting anyone from the group. Guess I gotta do some reading to find out what I'm in store for...

Is it an adventure where you bring the camping gear or just a 1 day thing?

Can I bring my dog?

Which trail am I going on and with who?

My baby has never been off road, do I need to run down a check list of things to look at and/or service before going?

Are there any other "smokin hippies" in here? lol or just me

Maybe I should buy one of those luggage carriers (if that's even the name of them) to go on the roof rack?

I would like to go all out, as much as I can without scratchin my baby. In just 2 weeks she will have a brand new fresh proton paint job (4 layers paint, 5 clear). Right now she is completely stripped (no seats, all interior panels except dash area, carpet, hood liner, roofrack, outdoor mirrors, roofrack, all exterior cladding, hood insert, door seals, etc.) getting ready for new paint and lambo doors. I wanna take her out, but not to the point where I totally mess up her new paint...

I'm really f***ing excited about this. I have a feeling its going to be awesome!!!! Just meeting everyone and seeing MORE VX's will be worth the trip!

Not being mechanically inclined, just a little concerned about what things I should check or service between now and then. My ride is REALLY ROUGH.
    YUP! You've got lots of reading to do....read each of the Moab Zu-Zoo threads for the various years, will have lots of info.

Then here's some other info.....
    ALSO SEE THE PICS AT BOTTOM...GIVES SOME IDEA OF THE TERRAIN, OBSTACLES, TIRE IN BASKET, ETC....
    NONE OF THESE DAMAGED MY VX!!!! (EXCEPT THE LAST PIC WHERE I SCRAPED FRONT AND REAR LOWER CLADDING....MARK & SCOTT ARE GOING TO "TEACH" ME THIS YEAR HOW NOT TO DO THAT AGAIN!)

• It's usually 4-5-6-7 days, but you can stay for as short or long as you want, some stay longer than a week.

• Many camp, usually at "Pack Creek" campground.

• Many stay at the "Red Rock Lodge"....a pretty cheap style motel right in town area. That's where the famous (or infamous?) "Stoop" is, and many gather there after the trails and hang out and laugh a lot!

• Dog are NOT allowed allowed in the "backcountry" of National Parks. MOST trails are NOT in a NP, but some are, such as Canyonland N.P. so you have to know where your trail is and whether it's in a N.P.
      Read this thread: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...7&postcount=77

• Smokin' hippies....guess that all depends on what you're, um, smokin'....

• Luggage rack???...I think you probably mean a cargo basket that attaches to the OEM roof rack/cross bars. Many VXers have one, but not 100% necessary. Many carry a full size spare ...mine is a 285/60-18, I can get it strapped down in the back cargo area (backseat removed) but it eats a ton of cargo space obviously.....so I prefer it on the roof.

• Potential damage to your truck....some "damage" is possible, (unless you're MSHardeman or Moncha...who have never so much as gotten a tiny scratch on theirs! Careful, precise driving! ) Many are like you, and don't want to get much damage & can minimize it by learning about and asking about the various trails the gang may be going on. I choose the trails where damage is very unlikely. I don't like getting pinstriped, but hey, I just finished a complete polish job with Griot's Garage and scratches?...WHAT SCRATCHES? If I get more, well, I know I can do another buff job.
      The most common is scraping the undercarriage a bit here and there, and the lowest part of the front cladding, and the rear gas tank skid plate, and maybe the lowest part of rear cladding. I have a few dents on things under there, but no repairs needed.

**Take the time to look through the MOAB pictures on the site, you'll get a better idea of the terrain.

ALSO, GET THE TRAIL BOOK ON MOAB BY RICHARD WELLS....IT GIVES YOU A TON OF DETAILS, AND RANKS THE DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY....BUT EVEN SOME RATED AS "DIFFICULT" I DID WITH NO PROBLEM AND NO DAMAGE, LIKE HELL'S REVENGE, FINS & THINGS.

****THERE'S ALWAYS SOMEONE TO BE A SPOTTER FOR YOU ... YOU CAN SEE MARK SPOTTING FOR ME IN MANY OF MY PICS, HELPING AND TEACHING ME HOW TO HANDLE THE TERRAIN***

****PLUS MANY OBSTACLES HAVE A BYPASS AROUND THEM...SO FOLKS LIKE ME CAN WIMP OUT AND GO AROUND! ***

****ALSO, YOU CAN USUALLY FIND AN "OPEN SEAT" WITH SOMEBODY AND RIDE ALONG AND LEARN THE ROPES ***

• The Tuesday of the week has historically been designated as the "VX only run"....which was for VXs only, ... and a trail is selected that is specifically doable for a totally stock VX. But that run has really morphed into a "VX and other Zoos run", but again, the main criteria is that a stock VX be able to do it. Our former Trail Boss (Todd Adams) used to help us select which trail, and VXers gave him input and suggestions. Unfortunately Todd passed away a few months ago (RIP ) so Jack (pbkid) started a thread after several people going this year started discussing it. He put it as a survey so everybody can vote.

~RECOMMENDED PREP, EQUIPMENT, CHECKLISTS, ETC....:

Moncha's list:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...=moab+cb+radio

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ight=MOAB+LIST

KENNY'S LIST:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ight=moab+prep

TONE'S LIST:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ight=moab+prep

SHACKLES, TOW STRAPS, TOW EQUIPMENT:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ight=CARRY+CAR

PICS OF WHERE SHACKLES/D-RINGS/CLEVIS HOOKS GO:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...5&postcount=35

MORE LISTS - EMERGENCY SUPPLIES, ETC...
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ARRY+EMERGENCY

MISC INFO/THREADS:

THIS IS THE ONE TYPE OF OBSTACLE THAT WILL SCRAPE UP THE FRONT LOWER PART OF CLADDING, AND THE REAR TOO....UNLESS YOU'RE MARK OR SCOTT!

SOME TRAILS ARE JUST MEANDERING ON DIRT OR SAND ROADS:

NOT ALL OF US TRY THESE TYPES OF OBSTACLES.....

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wink

Ah ok, so does everyone go on at least one trail together or do people split up (some go to easy trails while others go to harder)?

I'd like to go waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in no man's land and camp out.... way out in mother nature (i loooooove nature) for Tuesday night and head back Wed. This would be a break for me (haven't had a vacation or more than 4 or 5 consecutive days off in over 5 years)
    Just start at pg 1 of this thread my friend...

After you wade through all the opinions on music, Swede mentions camping a trail, the dog issue is discussed, & I'll bet there's a bunch of other stuff you'll find helpful.

Ah ok, so does everyone go on at least one trail together or do people split up (some go to easy trails while others go to harder)?

I'd like to go waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in no man's land and camp out.... way out in mother nature (i loooooove nature) for Tuesday night and head back Wed. This would be a break for me (haven't had a vacation or more than 4 or 5 consecutive days off in over 5 years)
    That's exactly what happens....all together on Tuesday's trail, remainder of week smaller groups form and go different ways.

Just remember no dogs in the NP, and I've been told they do check. Zeus got a ticket/fine a few years ago for his dog.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Just remember no dogs in the NP, and I've been told they do check. Zeus got a ticket/fine a few years ago for his dog.
    Generally speaking, dogs are allowed in the National Parks on the paved roads (leashed of course). They are not allowed off-pavement, backcountry. This isn't a perfect guide as there are a few dirt roads (like the road to the parking lot at the trailhead for Elephant Hill) that dogs are allowed on, but AFAIK dogs are allowed on all paved road areas.

But, as Sue has mentioned, most of the trails are not in the National Parks.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    also, you dont necessarily NEED every little accessory just to visit moab, in fact, a completely stock vehicross as no issues doing 75% of the trails in moab.

Sure, it helps to have a tow strap, compressor, roof rack, spare tire, etc. but it certainly isnt necessary.

To be completely honest, with this group of people, pretty much anything you forget....dub probably has an extra one laying around. He will usually loan parts to people if they ask nicely, but you will probably owe him some favors back in the long run. (i know i do. Dont mean to offer all of your spares dub, but you know its true )

point is, get you and your VX to moab, with whatever you would like to bring and you will quickly learn the rest
    (also, pretty much anything you forget can be 'gotten' in moab, the town is pretty well suited for people forgetting important parts of their trip)
    also, billy touched on spotting and following. This is one of the more important things to learn in order for your car to be safe and to make sure you end up on the right trails.
    Just ask around at the stoop which trails will suit you, and the group will lead you to the right group of 'fellow VX'ers', depending on your skill level. Usually that means you either stick with the easy, moderate or difficult group. If you want an easier and less 'vx bashing' trip, stick with someone like Sue (vxkat) or mark (mshardeman), both of their VX's are prestine and they take very good care of them, they are safe to follow

If your looking for more of a challenge follow billy (triathlete), me, jo (jofotoz), swede (bigswede), etc.

cant wait to meet you Ty.
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

I envy anyone who is introduced to off roading in Moad, in a VX. I can't think of a better way to get your feet wet. You'll be hooked.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    To be completely honest, with this group of people, pretty much anything you forget....dub probably has an extra one laying around. He will usually loan parts to people if they ask nicely, but you will probably owe him some favors back in the long run. (i know i do. Dont mean to offer all of your spares dub, but you know its true )
    To be completely honest...I don't ever keep track of what's gone to whom... With the exception of tools...
    Karma has it's own system of checks & balances, & fwiw, I'd rather my account was a little bloated (like me), than too skinny...

Also...as my ol' grand pappy used to say...

"I'd rather have ya owe it to me, than have ya cheat me out of it"...

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    I envy anyone who is introduced to off roading in Moad, in a VX. I can't think of a better way to get your feet wet. You'll be hooked.

Bart
    And all of your off road experiences after, that aren't Moab, will seem mundane by comparo...

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post

Bart
    Moab was my first wheeling experience. Kane Creek trail, May, 2001.

Nothing to see here...move along! That is all!
    Last edited by Triathlete : 02/26/2012 at 07:48 PM

So I am reeeeeeally excited about going to this and meeting everyone.

I really hope that someone there can give me some good advice.

I don't know much about suspension and I would like for someone to tell me by looking and driving my rig, what I should do about the REALLY REALLY ROUGH RIDE. I'm down to spending some good money if it gives the the same sports car agility and riding over rough terrain...

But, yeah I can't wait!!
    ---------

Ty

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Just be prepared...

So I am reeeeeeally excited about going to this and meeting everyone.

I really hope that someone there can give me some good advice.

I don't know much about suspension and I would like for someone to tell me by looking and driving my rig, what I should do about the REALLY REALLY ROUGH RIDE. I'm down to spending some good money if it gives the the same sports car agility and riding over rough terrain...

But, yeah I can't wait!!
    .....to dream of doing MOAB AGAIN for the following 11.5 months!

You'll be at the veritable epicenter of everything VX !

All the help/knowledge/input and B/S...that you can handle

Try out a few rides...look at tire/shock combos...

...then go home and dust off the credit card!

Look fwd to meeting you

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post

.....to dream of doing MOAB AGAIN for the following 11.5 months!
    Only 2 more months.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Only 2 more months.
    maybe 3 weeks, and 2 months

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    maybe 3 weeks, and 2 months
    Yeh...it's gonna go FAST, as always...

At least THIS year, spring has sprung early, & there is no sandbagging to be done...

I DO have to help my Bro move one wknd in April, but that shouldn't take more than a day.

Going to put THESE in Hunny's van tomorrow, & get'm mounted & balanced...

I'm CHOMP'N!!! (@ the bit, that is)...
    Last edited by Ldub : 03/16/2012 at 05:35 PM