Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Has any one ever heard of a crank breaking? Thinking of doing a 6.0 swap!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by stokes_osu View Post
    Wow looks just like what I can see inside of mine for the hole in oil pan. I am need of an oil pan any one knows where one is, that is if I go back with a 3.5. Looks like that is what I will be doing. Found one rebuilt already and ready to drop in with a 2 yr un-lim millage warranty. Super bummed about the supercharger. I hope to hear some one pop up with one quick… plan to be back on the road in 1 week…. We will see! Dose anyone know of any other options to think about?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Isuzu-Honda-Acur...item5d292e9982

http://cgi.ebay.com/98-99-3-5L-Acura...item3cadd74427

http://cgi.ebay.com/98-02-ISUZU-TROO...item255413ab21

http://cgi.ebay.com/98-99-3-5L-ACURA...item41501523ed

http://cgi.ebay.com/ISUZU-98-02-AXIO...item1e55244f92

Not familiar with, nor affiliated with any of these vendors.

Just a random cross section of whats available on ebay when you search "6VE1"...

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    search the forum for "engine swap canidates" it will bring up a thread i started last year sometime about engines that bolt directly to our transmissions.

they include a couple of V-8s iirc
    The issues with that is finding a controller for the 4L30E

And in that other members motor, the crank stayed in the block, it just split. Yours must have ripped that main cap to shreds! Maybe snapped the bolts off
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    FWIW that's the 5.3 I was referring to, and from what I understand, $1000 for one is outrageously expensive. My 2004 6.0 shipped to me in 2009 was $1200 complete, so the far more common 5.3 should be $800 tops for a good condition engine, and even that's high. Check craigslist. 5.3's are a dime a dozen, but they are good engines.
    So, my body is off and the engine is out, are you telling me that a regular 5.3 should fit and bolt right up? I don’t want to go and buy one if it will not fit.

Last edited by stokes_osu : 09/04/2011 at 11:00 PM

I I have been toying with the idea of buying another VX maybe one that has been wrecked and getting the engine out of it… Dose any one knows where one may be laying around…. I would like to find something close to Oklahoma….

Not sure what ever happened to this one, he was asking $1000 for the entire truck....
    Even if someone bought it, they may still sell you the engine....try to find out who bought it, contact them maybe...
    Good luck, hope it works out.
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...hlight=%241000
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by stokes_osu View Post
    So, my body is off and the engine is out, are you telling me that a regular 5.3 should fit and bolt right up? I don’t want to go and buy one if it will not fit.
    Bolt right up? Not without some modifications. You would have to fab up new motor/tranny mounts, move some stuff under the hood, etc. With the extra ponnies of the bigger engine you would probably want to consider beefing up the rest of the drive train as well. If you take a peak at Ascinders build thread that will give you an idea of what is involved...keeping in mind that Ascinder is taking it to the extreme.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I posted in your other thread, but to my knowledge a 5.3 is not a direct bolt up engine for us. Something to consider is that our transmission is a 4L30E and is part of a series of transmission including the 4L60 and 4L80 both of which are beefier automatics. Ours is unique in the fact that we have the TOD transfer case mated directly to the transmission housing though. So what I'm getting at is you'll need a new transmission and transfer case. Length is also an issue as the 4l60 and 80 are both a lot longer. That's why many people usethe TH350 and TH400 as they are more suited to short wheelbase rigs. I know advance adapters makes kits for bolting up almost anything mainstream to anything else. Good luck, but in my opinion, you are fighting a lost cause if you are trying to accomplish this quickly with the amount of research and information you've got. FWIW pirate4x4.com has a lot of buildups and they match up all kinds of crazy combos so you can see what aroma together and what it's going into size wise. Be warned, they are not generally even close to as friendly and willing to help as this forum. They have the info, but they're a bit snobby and condescending about sharing it at times.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.