Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What parts should I make?

What parts should I make?

Well, I have FINALLY gotten my GI Bill sorted out and Wyotech has gotten their act together enough for me to start back to school. That only took 10 months. Anyway, I am currently taking a chassis fab class where I will be learning to make frames, suspension components, cages, etc.

My question to all of you is.....What parts should I make for my VX? Three things I already have in mind are an adjustable panhard bar for a 2+ inch lift, a tubular center brace to clear the altered d/s angle on a lifted VX, and the winch mount for behind the front cladding. Anyone have any other good suggestions?

Edit: Oh, also maybe a sliding cargo basket to replace the rear seats.

How about a roof rack basket actually made for the VX, something low profile that can hold a fullsize(and bigger) spare. Also, a semi-bolt in interior rollcage would be nice and so would some tube doors. I am trying to get my tubing bender completed so I can start doing several of these things myself, but I just thought I'd share my ideas. Another good one might be some tube fenders if you're feeling adventurous, but since most people aren't running solid front axles yet, that might be a little premature. Good luck!!
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

As long as we're dreaming, how about some reinforced half doors? There have been several threads over the years about running without doors and/or with half doors, especially while wheeling, but no one's attempted it that I'm aware of. Seems the difficulty plus concerns over reduced structural integrity have always ended the discussion.

And btw if you're looking to attempt a winch bumper, let me know and I'll take some pics / measurements to help you out.

Couple small scale ideas: cargo box / universal mounting plate to store stuff in the rear door (I'm always interested in cargo space ideas ), driver's side seat extenders that still retain good leg room, reinforcement plate for Tone's hitch to facilitate great tongue weight...

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    ... reinforcement plate for Tone's hitch to facilitate great tongue weight...
    I've got this one in work now. It'll be a new hitch tho, not something you add to the existing hitch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Any word on price?

Man if you were closer, a tight fit exo would be so SWEEEEEETTTTT!!!!!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    How about a roof rack basket actually made for the VX, something low profile that can hold a fullsize(and bigger) spare.

X2!

Dunno if they exit already, but a combination nerf bar/slider would be cool. Don't even know if it's even possible with the cladding etc.
    cheers.
    1993 Trooper (gone but not forgotten - sniff), 1999 Vx, 2003 Yukon Denali - luv em' all.

just today i was thinking about a winch hiddin behind the front bumper cladding. with just a slit for the cable to come out.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingV77 View Post
    just today i was thinking about a winch hiddin behind the front bumper cladding. with just a slit for the cable to come out.
    It can be done, but I've heard it's not easy...

Photo horked from Swordys gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Any word on price?
    Nah, the 'Tone Clone' hitches would go for about $150. We haven't even measured for dimensions on the new design yet.

I've got 1 Tone Clone hitch available now without the safety chain hoops. That's like what I'll be running since I can put them on the receiver down near the ball.

I'll try to post some pix soon.

The roof basket for oversized spare...

Good idea, I think I will cut my basket tonight to fit my 33" spare. I will use my exisitng rack though...

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    How about a roof rack basket actually made for the VX, something low profile that can hold a fullsize(and bigger) spare.
    That's what I was gonna say. A versatile roof rack system is definitely in order. As for the winch bumper, DEFINITELY hide it behind the cladding.

Bart

i would +1 on roof rack. im currently digging the idea of removing the rails and getting to try the one from 1990 4runner and also want to try one from Grand Caravan (it seems to be easily adjsutable/cutable)