Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The "I can't believe this part broke" thread

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    BTW, I'm starting to see a little droop on the rear door ... prolly time to adjust the hinges.
    Mine still hasn't moved. I do make sure I lube it every once in a while.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    BTW, I'm starting to see a little droop on the rear door ...
    You're just getting old. It happens.
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    So last night I got a little more seriouser...
    First i took the switch assembly off the back side of the lock...hmmmm, looks promising...
    Put a screwdriver in & rotated one click, get accessories to come on, good!
    Rotate it another click, get dash lights...OK.
    Another quarter turn & the engine rolls over & fires up...SWEET!

UNFORTUNATELY...

When I try to put it in gear, the shifter won't move...stupid safety/anti theft stuff...

OK, fine, take the center console apart & jimmy the shifter lock until I can get it out of park & into some usable gears...

Better go for a little test drive. At this point I'm having visions of driving Suzy to work for the first time since last Friday...found a work around for every problem the dirty little girl threw at me...
    Click her into drive, turn the wheel slightly to pull out of my parking space & CLICK...the steering wheel locks...@#$%^&*&^%$#@!#$%^ and a few other curse words that I don't know how to spell...

Back into my parking space, go into my abode, that's enough for tonight.

Called Merlin today, a hunnert-n-twenny something later, & I should have a new Ign module & a couple of keys by tomorrow, Fr @ the latest...
    It was nice talkin' to him & according to his parts network computer, I got the last one in the country...SOMETHING had to go right eventually.
    Thought I'd update this, in case anyone is interested...

Today, I promised myself that there would be no black Fr shopping until I could drive Suzy to get there.
    Spent the morning relaxing with Hunny Girl & downloading/printing pertinent sections from the VX shop manual in the downloads section, (THANK YOU VXinfo, that reminds me, a donation is in order...) then had a little lunch. (a known Nawthurn thing)
    After it turned into a bright sunny day & the mercury nudged up above 10 deg, I decided to put on my woolies & go out to do battle with the beast.

As it was written in the manual of shop, & passed down to the Isuzuites...

Thou shalt remove all SRS fuses in the fuse panel on the drivers side end of the dash module. (drivers & passenger, covered by a yellow retainer, top right area of the fuse panel)

Upon the passing of at least 15 seconds, (I used the time to sweep the accumulation of about a foot of snow off the hood & windshield) remove the two star drive fasteners from the back side of the steering wheel, which will allow you to remove the padded center portion of the steering wheel. (which contains the air bag...duh)

Carefully pull the airbag assembly out far enough to access the wiring connections, then break the nearly 12 year old retaining tabs off of the wiring connector... I'm pretty sure temp played a part in this.
    CAREFULLY disconnect the airbag connection.
    Step back & give thanx to whatever Isuzu deity you choose to believe in, for not blowing your face off with an exploding airbag. (ignishnu is my current fave)
    Disco the horn wire & carefully carry the airbag unit to the garage, store it in a place that will not be damaged, just in case...
    Get back in the drivers seat & put reference marks on the steering wheel & steering column...more on this later.
    After removing the retaining nut, realize that you should have bought a steering wheel puller. Press a small, two jaw puller into service...after whacking it with the breaker bar & having it slip off, go get a hammer, reconnect the puller, gripping the two opposing areas that haven't been marred by failure, tighten to what you think might be just below the breaking point of whatever Mexican alloy (seriously, there's a "made in Mexico" sticker on it) the center of the steering wheel is made of, give it a few whacks with the hammer &... BINGO!!!

Steering wheel off.

Started to remove the clockspring assy, then realized it would come off with the wiper/turn signal module, so went with that option.

OK, got all the peripheral crap outta the way, gots nothin' but the ign module & a nekkid steering column staring me in the face...

Thinking I had the worst of it behind me, I got this big dumb overconfident grin of my face...

Guess what?...can't get the ign module out...
    There's a little button type thingy that clicks into a hole in the casting that won't move, & can't be depressed without the ing module turning...like with a key or screwdriver...hmmmmmmmm

(figured this out by examining how the new one works)

Having nothing to lose but my sanity, I got out my screwdriver, & asked Ignishnu for a little assistance...hey, it couldn't hurt.
    Believe it or don't, the tumblers moved just enough for the little button thingy to retract & BAM, the ign module pulls straight out...SWEET!

Since it wasn't getting any warmer, I wasted no time in attempting to install the new ign module. OK, insert the new key, give it just enough turn to retract the little button thingy, (an industry term) & slide that sucker home...but - it - won't - go - in...

AaGGGGGGhhhh...@#$%(*&^%$#@#$&*(*&^%@%^&(/...!!!..

Using a flashlight & a mirror which fogged up every time I remembered to breathe, I examined everything I couldn't readily see from the drivers seat...nothing.
    I then remembered that i had the switch module on the other side of the steering column removed, so I gave that a look & discovered that the transitional mechanism between the key module & the actual switch was rotated 90 deg from where it needed to be...once again, BINGO!!!

The rest went like buttah...

I got to drive my truck today...

In retrospect, this could'v been done without removing the steering wheel, if I knew then what I know now, & if I could have got the tumblers to move with a screwdriver.

And remember those reference marks? Due to the fact that there was "ample" oil on most everything inside the steering wheel, they totally disappeared. I figured out where the steering wheel should be by driving around with no retaining nut & repositioning the wheel on straight sections of road.

Hindsight = 20-20

Sorry for the "war & peace"
    Last edited by Ldub : 11/28/2010 at 07:05 AM

Amazing, simply amazing........all in 10 degree-ish weather!
    It went down to 21 last night, and I was complainin' ??
    And way more enjoyable to read than W&P !
    Good to hear it all worked out for ya Dub and ya still have yer face too!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

I broke a lot of different things, but most unbelievable was front right upper arm:

I never thought that it is possible... And at least 600 miles on it in this condition (hopefully I did not knew that). I'm really lucky man
    2001 Isuzu VehiCROSS (build in progress): 4JX1/A340/part time, 2" body lift, front Aisin hubs, rear Aussie Locker, 4.56 gears, OEM rear sway bar disconnect, AirFlow snorkel, cabin air filter
    1980 Jeep Cherokee (assembling): 1.5" body lift, TBI, HEI
    1987 AMC Eagle: stock

Quote Originally Posted by uncle_asa View Post
    I broke a lot of different things, but most unbelievable was front right upper arm:

I never thought that it is possible... And at least 600 miles on it in this condition (hopefully I did not knew that). I'm really lucky man
    Wow, how did that happen?!!! That would suck. I have been fortunate so far, only the usual broken stuff Soon to add torsion bar bolts to that list. (see my SFIFS install thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Wow, how did that happen?!!! That would suck. I have been fortunate so far, only the usual broken stuff Soon to add torsion bar bolts to that list. (see my SFIFS install thread)
    I'm not sure when it happened. I suppose this was due to I lost upper bump stop and drove fast on unpaved roads. I suppose the another award in my rating goes to inner CV that I broke due to improperly adjusted lower bump stops after diff drop. So, double check bump stops are properly adjusted after diff drop, so CVs are still in allowed positions on maximum articulation.

I'm not sure when it happened. I suppose this was due to I lost upper bump stop and drove fast on unpaved roads. I suppose the another award in my rating goes to inner CV that I broke due to improperly adjusted lower bump stops after diff drop. So, double check bump stops are properly adjusted after diff drop, so CVs are still in allowed positions on maximum articulation.
    Thanks for the heads up, I didn't even think of that, seemings how I am just finishing up my diff drop, and I went to low profile snubbers...

Just broke the key in the ignition lock cylinder Saturday, finish my work, ready to go home - bang!!! no start and a piece in my hand! another - deep in the lock... Monday it's gonna be fun to take the stuck piece out.

Wrench

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitrikr View Post
    Just broke the key in the ignition lock cylinder Saturday, finish my work, ready to go home - bang!!! no start and a piece in my hand! another - deep in the lock... Monday it's gonna be fun to take the stuck piece out.
    Lemme know how that goes...

Maybe tip your VX up on its side and shake it loose? Hey it works with vending machines...

I broke a lot of different things, but most unbelievable was front right upper arm
    WOW...that's a hit!

How much hang time ya get?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Maybe tip your VX up on its side and shake it
    That only works for door mirror removal...

(pic cred Kenny)
    Last edited by Ldub : 11/27/2010 at 08:11 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Lemme know how that goes...
    I will. monday. need pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitrikr View Post
    I will. monday. need pictures?
    Yeah, if you're successful, post pics & a how to...

I'll email them over to the locksmith(s) that tried to remove mine, then drilled out my ignition mechanism (with my permission) so I could use a screwdriver as a key, thus allowing me to get home & to work the next day.

Dunno if you saw this or not...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...6&postcount=21

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...0&postcount=36

Kat provided a link to a MUCH more reasonably priced ign lock in this post...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...5&postcount=22

Last edited by Ldub : 11/28/2010 at 07:15 AM