Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: U Joints

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone

U Joints

Wondering if any of you that have replaced yours have been able to find aftermarket heavy duty ones? I cant find em anywhere and before ordering stock ones I just wanted to check......
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Don't know of any HD aftermarket joints (though I haven't really looked) but the OEM ones tend to be pretty good. I don't know of anyone breaking one. They are a wear part so they do wear out over time however keeping them greased properly will extend their life.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I think that if you want beefier U-Joints that the yokes would have to be replaced as well. There are shops that can do it but it would be expensive since it requires cutting, welding and rebalancing.

Like was stated above - OEM are fine, just keep them lubed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I am still running the original U-joints, if that tells you anything...
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    well, just greased a couple months ago, but man it sounds like driving over rumble strips since coming back from Moab, I will try greasing again, if it doesnt get better will order new joints

There is a Spicer replacment available for the front of the rear shaft, but I'm unsure of the rear one....

I have had to replace my rear driveline @ around 200K due to the splines in the slip yoke being worn, and causing vibration...FYI

good to know Alan, but mine isnt vibrating, only sounds like grinding when I let off the gas, which to me is more reason to keep my foot in it! LOL But all this is just since the taller tires and new rear springs and trip to Moab!

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by VX crazy View Post
    which to me is more reason to keep my foot in it! LOL
    Like you need a reason, right?

Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

good to know Alan, but mine isnt vibrating, only sounds like grinding when I let off the gas
    Actually mine is doing that too, but only when just very light throttle is applied (still slowing down). I have been waiting to see if it gets worse and turns into a real problem...

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
    Actually mine is doing that too, but only when just very light throttle is applied (still slowing down). I have been waiting to see if it gets worse and turns into a real problem...
    Weird Steve, hmmm, mine is very similar....what did the trip do to them LOL, I been staying in the pedal and turning up the stereo!

Quote Originally Posted by BigMeatVX View Post
    There is a Spicer replacment available for the front of the rear shaft, but I'm unsure of the rear one....

I have had to replace my rear driveline @ around 200K due to the splines in the slip yoke being worn, and causing vibration...FYI
    So Alan are you saying there is replacement for front, and the brand is Spicer? I cant find anyone that knows anything about this in Austin.

Weird Steve, hmmm, mine is very similar....what did the trip do to them LOL, I been staying in the pedal and turning up the stereo!
    Heh, mine is pretty loud when it does it, you would probably freak.

FWIW it has been doing it for at least a year...might be a little louder now though.

yupe mine too, I am experiencing VERY loud vibrations in the drive line after letting off the accelerator. I just assumed it was bad gear mesh in the Diff or the vast change in the angle of the axle shaft after lifting. It definitely got way worse when I put in the 2" spacers, so much so I am thinking of removing them

Have you checked with the guys at Austin Drive Train? When I lived in Austin they did all my drive shaft work and I never had a minutes trouble with their work. Look them up, hopefully they are still in business. They were on 183 (or under if wou will) just before 183 meets IH35.

Hey Greg, yes, they changed names but still same location, I called them, and they were not helpful on the phone at all, said they had NOTHING for my truck at all......