Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Spare Tire Storage

I picked up a $15 spare tire cover to put on the spare when its on the roof, that should help some.

nice work rowhard, I have been trying something similar with a sheet of plywood and some rubber strips that lay behind the backseat. it works pretty well, thinking about doing something a little more permanent, loses all cargo space, but maintains 4 seats

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    I picked up a $15 spare tire cover to put on the spare when its on the roof, that should help some.
    +1, I was scratching my head wondering why no one suggested this as the easy fix for keeping a roof mounted tire clean/healthy. You can also get logos on them if you pay extra (VT here we come ).

Does anyone use tire steps to help in moving the spare on/off their roof? I assume the danger to the vehicle is that you could accidentally drop the tire on the C-pillar while lowering it down. Seems like a step (for a 6'3" person at least) would help offset that issue. But maybe not?

Here's an example, they're more or less expensive depending on whether you prefer a nylon strap or a steel bar.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/tire-steps/...41&zmap=283440

http://www.racksforall.com/thulestep...LAID=461470471

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post

nice work rowhard, I have been trying something similar with a sheet of plywood and some rubber strips that lay behind the backseat. it works pretty well, thinking about doing something a little more permanent, loses all cargo space, but maintains 4 seats

I havent seen a cover that will go over a 34-35" tire, of course I am sure they exist if I were to look...
    as for the spare behind the seat, mine fits, but then I cant bring my tools and whatnot. Roof or door, those are my options

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I havent seen a cover that will go over a 34-35" tire, of course I am sure they exist if I were to look...
    as for the spare behind the seat, mine fits, but then I cant bring my tools and whatnot. Roof or door, those are my options
    This one comes in any size from 27"-35", though it gets pricey (about $100) at the top end. If you don't require the charming logo () they can be had for as little as $35.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Virginia-Tech-Ho...item58878799a4
    Last edited by vt_maverick : 07/06/2010 at 09:25 PM

Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Oh come on rowhard, we are still talking about "Spare Tire Storage." If you had titled the thread "Rowhard's Spare Tire Storage Solution" we'd be in trouble.

J/k, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

I've always wondered about those that have a full size spare. I'm guessing that is just for trail use? If I get a full-size, I think I would just have it up there when I'm wheelin', as the temp tire should get me somewhere to have it fixed, as long as it's not too far and I keep the speed down and I'm driving on pavement. For those that have a full-size, do you throw it in the mix for tire rotation? It seems like it would be good idea, as if you get a flat when all the tires are nearing replacement, it probably wouldn't drive too well with one brand new tire. Also, all tires would get use, making the set last longer, and one tire wouldn't be constantly subjected to the sun as well as never getting used. As far as tire covers go, you may want to check a RV supply. They usually have them cheap, but they are usually all-white to keep the temp down. Logo'ed tire covers let you personalize, but you may want to consider alternate colors other than black, due to solar fading, and deteriation of the tire, especially if you leave it up there street or trail.
    '01 Kaiser SC'ed VX #0867

Quote Originally Posted by RallyDude View Post
    I've always wondered about those that have a full size spare. I'm guessing that is just for trail use?
    Think most that have the full size spare is because they have over sized tires. Once you do that, the OEM spare is useless

Looks good. My only issue with this option is that it kills your cargo space. But, you did a nice job maximizing the space back there.

I still have my donut. I've been tempted to scrap it several times but for some reason I just can't.

Bart

It depends on what you consider an oversized tire, I run tread that's just an inch larger than stock. I think that could limp home on asphalt with the temp spare. Yet I'd hate to think about getting off a fierce trail with that spare on. VXKat, do you keep that full-size spare on all the time, or just for the trail? I ask her as I have the same size, make, & model of tires as she has.

At least the VX spare tire storage makes for a great subwoofer box.

I think that a step to have better access to the cartop cargo rack is a good idea, however, I prefer the one etrailer has. It's a half-moon tube bumper with integrated pull-out step. It fits in either a 2" or 1-1/4" receiver hitch, available with or without led brake light. I think it'll look good on the VX. It's functional with the step, and also would act as a bumper to protect the cladding. I've got a brush gaurd for protection up front, why not add some protection to the rear?

I think that a step to have better access to the cartop cargo rack is a good idea, however, I prefer the one etrailer has. It's a half-moon tube bumper with integrated pull-out step. It fits in either a 2" or 1-1/4" receiver hitch, available with or without led brake light. I think it'll look good on the VX. It's functional with the step, and also would act as a bumper to protect the cladding. I've got a brush gaurd for protection up front, why not add some protection to the rear?
    The problem is that you'd have to lift/lower the spare tire OVER the antenna, which would require you to lift it an extra 3"-6" (depending on whether you have OEM or JDM-style). You could always remove the antenna first I guess, but you also run the risk of crushing your spoiler if you drop it.

The other problem is that Tone hitches don't respond well to significant tongue weight, so lifting a 50+ lb. tire while standing on a hitch step probably would be a BAD idea. Can't wait to find a solution to that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    The other problem is that Tone hitches don't respond well to significant tongue weight, so lifting a 50+ lb. tire while standing on a hitch step probably would be a BAD idea. Can't wait to find a solution to that problem.
    REALLY. Thought Tones hitch was more then capable. Sure hope so since I have one mounted!

I think that could limp home on asphalt with the temp spare.

At least the VX spare tire storage makes for a great subwoofer box.
    Don't know, maybe someone here knows the answer to how much of a differential you can have to satisfy TOD 's needs without it going crazy.

also makes a great storage place for many things.

It depends on what you consider an oversized tire, I run tread that's just an inch larger than stock. I think that could limp home on asphalt with the temp spare. Yet I'd hate to think about getting off a fierce trail with that spare on. VXKat, do you keep that full-size spare on all the time, or just for the trail? I ask her as I have the same size, make, & model of tires as she has.
    Put the full size spare up there for Moab, just left it that way so far....hubby is supposed to be rigging a pulley system in the garage ceiling so we can lift the tire/wheel off and on the rack w/o killing ourselves......he keeps telling me he thinks it looks great that way and I should just run it full time that way.....think he's just trying to delay rigging the pulley???
    I'd actually "like" to put my Thule 695 on for the remainder of the year.....and I'd have to put the donut back on board.....but don't want the TOD to go crazy, so I have the same question as rowhard on that .
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.