Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Spare Tire Storage

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    The problem is that you'd have to lift/lower the spare tire OVER the antenna, which would require you to lift it an extra 3"-6" (depending on whether you have OEM or JDM-style). You could always remove the antenna first I guess, but you also run the risk of crushing your spoiler if you drop it.

The other problem is that Tone hitches don't respond well to significant tongue weight, so lifting a 50+ lb. tire while standing on a hitch step probably would be a BAD idea. Can't wait to find a solution to that problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    REALLY. Thought Tones hitch was more then capable. Sure hope so since I have one mounted!
    I don't think it would be a problem with the Tone hitch.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    I don't think it would be a problem with the Tone hitch.
    Yes, but your offset distributes the weight on the hitch over a larger surface area of the earth, therefore allowing it to handle significantly larger loads. Those of us with a modest offset might be able to handle an adult, but OEM offset, perhaps a toddler.

Or you could just get the Curt hitch and it makes a PERFECT rear skid plate.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

when Dave and I had to get the spare down from the Yakima basket the first time....we...er, um, HE got it upright (dang near had a hernia in the process) and rolled it/walked it down the side of the truck, with me at the base controlling it's "decent". Did I mention we installed a hoist in the garage ceiling after this?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Yes, but your offset distributes the weight on the hitch over a larger surface area of the earth, therefore allowing it to handle significantly larger loads. Those of us with a modest offset might be able to handle an adult, but OEM offset, perhaps a toddler.

There's some logic in there somewhere ... maybe ... NAAAAH!!

Or you could just get the Curt hitch and it makes a PERFECT rear skid plate.
    Fugly is as fugly does...

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Did I mention we installed a hoist in the garage ceiling after this?
    One would have to have a garage that could actually fit a vehicle for that approach to work. Maybe I could just add a hoist to that tree branch over my driveway.

Thumbs down

Thonly two dents on my truck came from the roof rack. One getting the spare down, the other from when a cargo strap failed. No more heavy stuff on the roof for me. Spare on rear door all the way

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    One would have to have a garage that could actually fit a vehicle for that approach to work. Maybe I could just add a hoist to that tree branch over my driveway.
    Is that tree branch where Boy swings from and plays with Cheeta?

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Is that tree branch where Boy swings from and plays with Cheeta?
    Yup ... & it's purple.

You can see it in this pic (above the spare).

Tom it will be interesting to see what the bumper bar looks like when we go to install the new hitch. The one component I think is missing from your pics is what happens when you drive 20 hours with that much weight bouncing up and down all the time. I'm thinking the "standing still" tongue weight may not be the problem - it may be the movement that causes weakness over time.

Tom it will be interesting to see what the bumper bar looks like when we go to install the new hitch. The one component I think is missing from your pics is what happens when you drive 20 hours with that much weight bouncing up and down all the time. I'm thinking the "standing still" tongue weight may not be the problem - it may be the movement that causes weakness over time.
    True Dat!

I know that I deformed the crossmember when I installed the Tone hitch just by tightening the bolts too much (it's a knuckle dragger thing - you wouldn't understand). That crossmember is far from being a structural member.

hehehe...i got that Tom

You've heard of the butt dyno.

Rekin my butt torque wrench needs calibration.

as Jackson Browne said, to the Pretty Little one..."Honey, Let me introduce you to my red neck friend"

In retrospect, ignore my previous response. The issue that I was responding to was whether the Tone hitch could support the weight of a person lifting a full sized spare to the roof. I hope nobody plans on doing THAT in a dynamic scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by RickOKC View Post
    Hey Rowhard, I'm leaning toward doing this. Your final post last year mentioned you had a couple minor items to work out - did you finish? What did you do to secure it laterally?
    Think I just beefed it up a bit and extended it so I could pick up one of the rear seat mounting holes on the forward edge. As far as lateral, have it cinched down with a 3k strap, seems to hold fine.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.