Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Spare Tire Storage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Spare Tire Storage

Well, we that have over sized tires have all had to fight the spare tire storage problem. Now, I think the VX is a beautiful vehicle and I do not want to distract from this beauty.

I think most have opted for the roof rack option. Ugly and hard to remove without damaging your VX or back. Some have chosen to do what Marlin has done. Very functional, could double stack I suppose for a real off road adventure, but OMG, what a horrible thing to do to a VX, Sorry Chris.

My approach:

Since having the oversize spare, have done it this way. What a waste of storage space. Can't carry anything in the back properly. NOTE: Rear seat was removed along time ago.

Here is my idea to deal with the spare tire storage use the vertical.

Perfect

Now containment. I purchased a 11 inch trailer fender and a 4 inch x .125" flat stock. (think I will increase the width of flat stock). Also some 1 inch angle for front bracing along with a 3300 lbs cargo strap.

I then cut fender in half.

With Sandy's lovely hands holding it in place, You get the idea where I am going with this. Will weld it, brace the fender in the front with the 1 inch angle iron, then secure flat stock to the two tie downs already in place. Tire will be strapped fore and aft. Might have to come up with something to secure it laterally. Since rear seat belts are removed, there is one anchor point that can be used if needed.

Now look at the usable space I have gained. easy roll in/out of wheel when needed.

Have a pet barrier that will be placed against the sub woofer to help keep things in the back if I should ever have a shunt. Sub woofer is well anchored and will help keep it in place.

It is a design in progress and of course some mods might have to take place. I do have the other half of the fender if anyone wants to try this. Shipping and 20 bucks and it is yours.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

NICE WORK.....

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    I then cut fender in half.
    BTW...That's the strangest lookin 1/2 strat I've ever seen......

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    BTW...That's the strangest lookin 1/2 strat I've ever seen......
    you on the chocolate monkee's again?

I don't know what you mean

Fender=guitar=stratocaster=strat
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

got it,...... DUH

Wow, that's a great idea and looks really good John! Could you put it on driver's side, so no visibility is reduced from our one "decent" window?

And once perfected, will you be selling a kit?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Fender=guitar=stratocaster=strat
    Scares the $4!+ outta me sometimes...it's like we share some of the same brane cellz...

Prolly scares Billy more worser.

Fo Sho!

Scares the $4!+ outta me sometimes...it's like we share some of the same brane cellz...

Great mindz think alike! Some just a little clearer than others!

Does anyone use tire steps to help in moving the spare on/off their roof? I assume the danger to the vehicle is that you could accidentally drop the tire on the C-pillar while lowering it down. Seems like a step (for a 6'3" person at least) would help offset that issue. But maybe not?

Here's an example, they're more or less expensive depending on whether you prefer a nylon strap or a steel bar.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/tire-steps/...41&zmap=283440

http://www.racksforall.com/thulestep...LAID=461470471

Oh come on rowhard, we are still talking about "Spare Tire Storage." If you had titled the thread "Rowhard's Spare Tire Storage Solution" we'd be in trouble.

J/k, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

I've always wondered about those that have a full size spare. I'm guessing that is just for trail use? If I get a full-size, I think I would just have it up there when I'm wheelin', as the temp tire should get me somewhere to have it fixed, as long as it's not too far and I keep the speed down and I'm driving on pavement. For those that have a full-size, do you throw it in the mix for tire rotation? It seems like it would be good idea, as if you get a flat when all the tires are nearing replacement, it probably wouldn't drive too well with one brand new tire. Also, all tires would get use, making the set last longer, and one tire wouldn't be constantly subjected to the sun as well as never getting used. As far as tire covers go, you may want to check a RV supply. They usually have them cheap, but they are usually all-white to keep the temp down. Logo'ed tire covers let you personalize, but you may want to consider alternate colors other than black, due to solar fading, and deteriation of the tire, especially if you leave it up there street or trail.
    '01 Kaiser SC'ed VX #0867

Quote Originally Posted by RallyDude View Post
    I've always wondered about those that have a full size spare. I'm guessing that is just for trail use?
    Think most that have the full size spare is because they have over sized tires. Once you do that, the OEM spare is useless

Looks good. My only issue with this option is that it kills your cargo space. But, you did a nice job maximizing the space back there.

I still have my donut. I've been tempted to scrap it several times but for some reason I just can't.

Bart

It depends on what you consider an oversized tire, I run tread that's just an inch larger than stock. I think that could limp home on asphalt with the temp spare. Yet I'd hate to think about getting off a fierce trail with that spare on. VXKat, do you keep that full-size spare on all the time, or just for the trail? I ask her as I have the same size, make, & model of tires as she has.

At least the VX spare tire storage makes for a great subwoofer box.

I think that a step to have better access to the cartop cargo rack is a good idea, however, I prefer the one etrailer has. It's a half-moon tube bumper with integrated pull-out step. It fits in either a 2" or 1-1/4" receiver hitch, available with or without led brake light. I think it'll look good on the VX. It's functional with the step, and also would act as a bumper to protect the cladding. I've got a brush gaurd for protection up front, why not add some protection to the rear?