Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Spare Tire Storage

The pulley system sounds like a good Idea. Always wanted to do something like that for a cargo box, otherwise, you're right, it ends up staying up there all the time. I once thought that the amount of extra gas that I end up spending, far exceeded the cost of the cargo box. My problem is before building a pulley system, I need to build the garage to attach it to.

You could easily rig up some pulleys for the spare tire, but another option would be to look for a bike lift. A lot of them are absurdly expensive, but I've seen good quality cheap options at or on Costco's website, I think for just over $10 (or maybe like $15 for two of them?) including all the attachment hardware, which is possibly less than even a DIY project. I think it was rated at 100 pounds, so it could easily be modified to accept a spare tire.

I believe I have Tone's hitch (installed by the PO) and never put any tongue weight on it, but what's the problem? I know I won't break a hitch by stepping on it , but does it bend or break the cladding or the fiberglass skid plate? I'm glad this came up, because I was ready to order the step hitch from e-trailer.

So Kat, are you planning on rotating in that spare, or is it purely a dedicated spare? I'm thinking it would be better to rotate it in. Not only would it be cost effective, as you should get 25% more miles out of them, but it would be a better spare if it maintains the same circumference as the rest of the set. Once your LTZ's are well worn, a fresh one put in the mix as a spare could mess with the TOD, especially on the rear axle. Do you notice a lot of extra noise on the highway with that up there? It does look great with the spare up there, but it looks great without it too. One last question, do you still keep the stock temp tire in the back?
    '01 Kaiser SC'ed VX #0867

Quote Originally Posted by RallyDude View Post
    The pulley system sounds like a good Idea. Always wanted to do something like that for a cargo box, otherwise, you're right, it ends up staying up there all the time. I once thought that the amount of extra gas that I end up spending, far exceeded the cost of the cargo box. My problem is before building a pulley system, I need to build the garage to attach it to.
    +1 - I have a garage but the door opening is too short to allow a roof mounted spare to pass under.

I believe I have Tone's hitch (installed by the PO) and never put any tongue weight on it, but what's the problem? I know I won't break a hitch by stepping on it , but does it bend or break the cladding or the fiberglass skid plate? I'm glad this came up, because I was ready to order the step hitch from e-trailer.
    The issue is bending not breaking, and it doesn't affect the cladding or skid plate. The problem with Tone's hitch is that it's attached to the last cross member (or bumper bar I can't remember) and not to the frame rails. Therefore excess weight causes the cross member to twist, as opposed to a normal tow bar which would push down on the frame rails to which it's attached.

You could easily rig up some pulleys for the spare tire, but another option would be to look for a bike lift. A lot of them are absurdly expensive, but I've seen good quality cheap options at or on Costco's website, I think for just over $10 (or maybe like $15 for two of them?) including all the attachment hardware, which is possibly less than even a DIY project. I think it was rated at 100 pounds, so it could easily be modified to accept a spare tire.

So Kat, are you planning on rotating in that spare, or is it purely a dedicated spare? I'm thinking it would be better to rotate it in. Not only would it be cost effective, as you should get 25% more miles out of them, but it would be a better spare if it maintains the same circumference as the rest of the set. Once your LTZ's are well worn, a fresh one put in the mix as a spare could mess with the TOD, especially on the rear axle. Do you notice a lot of extra noise on the highway with that up there? It does look great with the spare up there, but it looks great without it too. One last question, do you still keep the stock temp tire in the back?
    I made sure I started rotating it in by 3,000 miles on the other 4, so it's already rotated in and actually on my driver's side rear. I took out the donut once I put the f/s spare on. If I remove f/s spare, I'll put donut back in,..... I'm hoping to hear some input (like rowhard asked) about using the donut with the 285/60-18s....it would only be for an emergency, so it may be "ok". Marlin says he's had no problems with the TOD with different tires sizes/circumference, but many have reported otherwise.

I've got to check out the bike lifts you mentioned, that might be a great idea.
    I did find a storage platform thing that went up & down on a pulley system...(can't find the bookmark right now)...we were interested in it because we could actually store the tire/wheel on it, as well as it's a lifting pulley, and the 78 lb tire/wheel was within it's load capacity...but we wanted to check it out closer to make sure we could "easily" get the tire on and off the platform, other wise, it wouldn't be worth it. Just haven't gotten to it yet....

I can honestly say, I didn't really perceive any increase in wind noise when the tire is up there....I DID notice some when I put the Yakima basket on, however, even with the fairing. I've followed my MPG at "fuelly.com" since I put the skids on in December (already had basket on), and I pretty much average between 15-16 MPG with the tire & basket up there, plus the 150 lb skids.
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/vxkat/vehicross
    Forum member "Knigh7s" also uses fuelly to track his MPG.
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/knigh7s/vehicross

Another forum member was asking me some detailed MPG questions last week, and I wrote up this summary: Kinda interesting, I think.

~My MPG with NO roof rack basket and STOCK tires was around 16, full highway could get close to 20-21.

~I got my Yakima roof cargo basket and the larger tires at the same time...average MPG went to about 15. Didn't do any full highway driving at that time, so no idea.

~In 12/09 I added 150 pounds of steel skid plates....no real change in MPG.

~Then I put my full size spare tire in the basket, drove 8 hrs to Utah......got 17 - 18.8 MPG!!! I thought this was amazing since I was like a brick shape going down the highway at 75!

~ EXTRA WEIGHT: I figured my MPG would tank once I put all this stuff on:
    150 lbs skid plates
    60 lbs 4 larger tires -(total lbs over stock tires -Cooper 285/60-18)
    23 lbs cargo basket
    29 lbs wheel
    49 lbs tire
    20 lbs recovery kit stuff (tow ropes, shackles)
    20 lbs front bull bar/lights
    351 LBS TOTAL
    -65 lbs Remove back seat
    -30 lbs Remove donut spare (estimate)
    ~255 lbs TOTAL extra weight my VX is carrying all the time now (about the same as a real good size passenger full time)

~When I was off-roading in Moab, going about 5 mph for hours and hours over the trails, I dropped to 8.7 MPG.

~Then drove 8 hrs highway to get home, with spare on roof in basket, average speed about 75+....got about 15.8 MPG. (Don't know why MPG was higher going to UT vs. coming home???)

~It kinda seems my VX may get a tad better MPG than many others I've heard about...with the tires, basket, spare, bull bar and skids, I would think I'd get much lower. I seem to stay in the 15 -16 MPG with all the extra stuff. I also have more highway driving on average around here.....less stop/go than most, so that may be the main difference.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Talking Heres Your problem Kat

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    ~ EXTRA WEIGHT:
    60 lbs 4 larger tires -(total lbs over stock tires -Cooper 285/60-18)

29 lbs wheel
    49 lbs tire
    What you carrying 2 sets of tires for?

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    Don't know, maybe someone here knows the answer to how much of a differential you can have to satisfy TOD 's needs without it going crazy.
    Here's my own personal opinion/stance regarding the DONUT spare.

Using the DONUT spare tire for limited travel even with over-sized tires like the "LTZ" in 285/60R18 (31.4" O.D.) is still safe to use IN MY OPINION even with slightly larger tires, just as Marlin has pointed out in previous postings. The DONUT is 29.5" O.D. just like the OEM tires were.

The "key" is to only use the DONUT spare on the FRONT axle (never the rear axle), as the rear axle doesn't like mis-matched tires with TOD. Just remember to disengage 4WL whenever using the DONUT, so the VX will be in normal AWD (high range). I would assume the TOD system only likes 4 matching tires in 4WL mode, since it is locked in 50/50 distribution of power. If you've encountered a flat on the trail and your only spare is the DONUT, then your off-road excursions have come to an end for that day and you should be gingerly limping the VX slowly downhill back to civilization in normal AWD.

Heck; I run 32" O.D. tires (275/65R18), and currently my only spare is the DONUT. I'm not gonna' lug around a f/s spare 24/7 and constantly burn up $MPG$ with a air-drag resistant f/s spare on a roof rack when the DONUT will suffice in an emergency. You could even carry Two(2) DONUT spares (in case the first DONUT became a flat), than to carry one f/s heavy/bulky spare.

I do agree 100% with VX'ers who ONLY use a f/s spare while in an off-road environment. That is very wise and smart. If a flat is gonna' happen, it will most likely happen on the trail (not on the street). If I ever became a more avid hard-core off-roader; then yes, I would carry a f/s spare ONLY during those times. Just my 2-cents.

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    What you carrying 2 sets of tires for?
    um, .... what?

if you look at your list

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    um, .... what?
    you have 60 # for 4 tires

then 29 # for wheels

then 49 # for tires

Let me try Sue...

Her 4 mounted Cooper Zeons are 60 lbs. heavier than the 4 stock tires - that's 15 lbs. per corner. Notice she typed "29 lbs wheel, 49 lbs tire" (singular) in her original post, NOT "29 lbs wheels, 49 lbs tires" plural as I think you keep reading it. The second set of numbers (29+49) is for the spare ONLY.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

So.....if we had a large enough bowl of cornflakes we could make rocket science?......

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Let me try Sue...

Her 4 mounted Cooper Zeons are 60 lbs. heavier than the 4 stock tires - that's 15 lbs. per corner. Notice she typed "29 lbs wheel, 49 lbs tire" (singular) in her original post, NOT "29 lbs wheels, 49 lbs tires" plural as I think you keep reading it. The second set of numbers (29+49) is for the spare ONLY.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    So.....if we had a large enough bowl of cornflakes we could make rocket science?......
    Exactly!!

I think the MPG change would be more due to the wind resistance, than the additional weight.

VT maverick, if you are really close to getting into the garage, you may want to check out member zeus's ride. He reversed the rack mounting clips, to lower his rack a few inches. He did it for aesthetics, but if you are close, it could be all the distance you need.

Wow, I've never heard of a hitch not attaching to the frame. Maybe that's why our rigs aren't rated to tow anything.

Tire storage UPDATE

Well, finished it and for the most part it works well. Have a few issues to work out, but no real biggy.

So, from this:

to this:

Love the space I have gained doing this. Also much easier rolling tire in and out rather then having to lift it to get it out.

On a side note. You notice the middle two photo's, the inside of the wheel looks,... different. I like most here had the chrome peeling issue. I took it to a local powder coat shop and had them media blast just the inside of the wheel then powder coat in in a chrome like finish. Moral of this story, if you like the stock wheels but have the chrome peeling problem, this might be a solution for you.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Looks good...to bad I use my back seat.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

heck...my horse trailer spare exploded from the sun and heat, just hanging on the side of the trailer....hate to think what might happen to my precious VX if that happened on the roof!...........

Hey Rowhard, I'm leaning toward doing this. Your final post last year mentioned you had a couple minor items to work out - did you finish? What did you do to secure it laterally?