Well, we that have over sized tires have all had to fight the spare tire storage problem. Now, I think the VX is a beautiful vehicle and I do not want to distract from this beauty.

I think most have opted for the roof rack option. Ugly and hard to remove without damaging your VX or back. Some have chosen to do what Marlin has done. Very functional, could double stack I suppose for a real off road adventure, but OMG, what a horrible thing to do to a VX, Sorry Chris.

My approach:

Since having the oversize spare, have done it this way. What a waste of storage space. Can't carry anything in the back properly. NOTE: Rear seat was removed along time ago.

Here is my idea to deal with the spare tire storage use the vertical.

Perfect

Now containment. I purchased a 11 inch trailer fender and a 4 inch x .125" flat stock. (think I will increase the width of flat stock). Also some 1 inch angle for front bracing along with a 3300 lbs cargo strap.

I then cut fender in half.

With Sandy's lovely hands holding it in place, You get the idea where I am going with this. Will weld it, brace the fender in the front with the 1 inch angle iron, then secure flat stock to the two tie downs already in place. Tire will be strapped fore and aft. Might have to come up with something to secure it laterally. Since rear seat belts are removed, there is one anchor point that can be used if needed.

Now look at the usable space I have gained. easy roll in/out of wheel when needed.

Have a pet barrier that will be placed against the sub woofer to help keep things in the back if I should ever have a shunt. Sub woofer is well anchored and will help keep it in place.

It is a design in progress and of course some mods might have to take place. I do have the other half of the fender if anyone wants to try this. Shipping and 20 bucks and it is yours.