Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: prothane spacers

prothane spacers

Hey guys just wanted to post that i purchased a set of prothane spacers for a 94 2wd dodge and installed today, the camera isn't talking to my computer but i got just over 2 inches of lift out of them with using the stock spring isolator. not to bad for 60 bucks spent these were new in the package to

Pics or it didn't happen.

i gotta figure out how to post em

Meh, who needs pics of a polyurethane doughnut? I believe you...
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

all done

These are to use on our rear springs right? Would it be too much to add to a set of 912's? Would that make too much lift if I tried to raise the front to match? Would it cause undue wear with the front u-joints?

Bob,

It's not the U-Joints that are the problem, it's the CV joints. The good news is that a 2 inch lift SHOULDN'T hurt either one.

I stress "shouldn't" because a lot depends on the condition of the CV Joints before the lift. Many members have done a 3 inch lift without hurting their CV Joints so I'm guessing you'll be fine.

Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

so if I got 2 or more inches of lift from the 912's I installed a few weeks ago, then add the spacers to the springs I will have to lift the torsion bars for the front enough to level it out, that's going to put a lot of stress on the CV joints... right? So what are the options to releasing some of that stress? I've heard a few things about lowering the transmission or the transfer case, or should I look into aftermarket cv joints now that a few are being found to work? I just want a little more lift so I can maybe fit a little larger tire with my stock 16" rims.

Or is it that the CV joints are super high mileage now so they would be able to adjust to the new angles with this extra lift?

none of the aftermarket joints really "work", the ones Billy is using have the smaller "balls" so he says they clunk a little when 4wd is engaged but other than that seem ok, and all the other aftermarket ones seem to break easily. RCV Performance is working on some HD Joints for us and we should know soon if they will be able to do it. You would want to do a front diff drop to help your CV angles, you can do a 2" drop on it and it'll bring the angles down a good bit. You should be able to fit a 33" tire with the 912's no problem, that's what I have. How tall do you want to go? Here is a pic of just an OME 912 lift and adjusted t-bars to match, running stock VX wheels with the same tires as me (size and brand lol)

1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

I'd like to run a 35" tire without having to trim much, if any. That's where the want for the extra lift/clearance is coming from.

Is there a write up on how to drop the differential?

You have to remove the front axle assembly and remove the mounting brackets, then cut and weld them to lower the diff the 2". Here's one "write-up" on planet

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=5136

And for a 35" tire you'll have to do some trimming. We got some 34's on my friends truck with very little trimming and perfect offset wheels, but they were 10.50's too so you'd want to look into what width you want too.

Here's another write-up
    http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewto...ight=diff+drop

Some pics of how to modify the brackets
    http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewto...ight=diff+drop

Also, not sure if you notice it much with your stock tires, but the higher yuo go on the stock rear control arms, the closer the front of the rear tire gets to your fender, it pulls the axle toward the front more without adjustable links. I know with my 33's and just the 912's you can tell that they sit further forward, not sure if the people with 35's have had to go to adjustable links or trim the rear fender but I would imagine it would sit pretty close to the front

Here is LittleBeast's truck with 912's and coil spacers on 33's

Last edited by RamAirZ : 09/13/2010 at 11:24 AM

I've got a friend that can modify the differential brackets but the waiting list is very slow. I've only got 3 sets of differential brackets (2 awaiting installation & one being modded).

Darlington Off Road also sells modified differential brackets. I don't know what his availability is right now.

If you look through my gallery, you'll find some pix of the brackets & some after installation.

If you can weld or know someone who can you can do it yourself too. That's what I am going to do. It's nice though to have the modified bracket ready so it saves time. I've thought of buying a modified set, then after installing them making a new set out of my old ones and selling them to recoup money. off topic but hows that steering box working out Tom?

So just modifying the brackets and the crossmember to fit right? I pick the amount of drop I want to have with the differential and go from there?

I have access to a welder/torch so that would be doable, just the down time with the truck that I have to worry about. I deffinantly won't be able to do it until I have the SVO running well.