Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What would you guys do

I just don't have the money to give him right now, that's what irritates me, I held onto it in my paypal account for awhile and then needed it on our trip. I'm gonna offer half or wait until the wheels sell
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    That sounds like your answer then, tell him when (and if) the wheels sell, you'll refund his deposit. Nobody loses...Just a thought.
    Vixer Fixer

Hmmm, as fellow military member, I would pull the string and talk to his Sgt. That is about the same as a Chief in the Navy. More than likely, his boss has no idea what is going on. If you were send him the emails, and talk to him, he would smack your buyer in the back of the head and tell him he learned a valuable lesson. That is how we do it in the Navy. Good luck either way, but is it really worth it over a hundred bucks, from either end? He is probably some lowly E2 or E3.
    Their JAG can do nothing, they only offer advice, so no worries there. It would cost him more in legal fees and time than 100 bucks.
    I think offering him half back is fair.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Ya that's what I think too. If I could get ahold of his Sgt I might do that but like you said, is it worth the $110? It's principle to me too, if I could just throw around deposits on stuff and get them back when I find something else (probably what actually happened) I would do that all day long, make sure I have something as a backup, but I don't work that way. If I'm putting money out for something and back out, I understand that I'm not gonna get that back unless the guy offers is back on his own, I would expect it.

Going through a messy divorce taught me that (1) you can never predict how stupid the law will be and (2) standing on principle is rarely worth it, either in terms of time or money. As much as I can feel your pain about not wanting to give the guy the impression that he "got away with one" because of a mildly threatening email, I still don't think it's worth it. I do not, however, think you should give it to him all at once. I say give him half now, then "disappear" for several weeks as he did with you. Definitely pay him the second half, but give it a month or two to "educate" him on how frustrating it can be when someone blows you off.

Marlin - Trust me when I say the AF is nowhere near the same as the Navy. "Please" and "thank you" are an expected part of the conversation between supervisor and subordinate - there's a reason we call it "corporate America."

Everyone - My wife was active duty AF, my grandfather was a Navy Master Chief, and a ton of my friends are in the different services. Serving one's country DOES NOT earn you a free pass for being a prick.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wink You know I'm being a wizazz, but...

Dubs found a new toy

Not siding with either side...technically I think you have the right to keep the money...being prior military (the real one) I don't think that should way in on your decission (unless there was some unforseen military action...which it appears there wasn't)...BUT there is always karma!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Ya and Ldub, I used that already lol.

Which military is the real military?

*stirs pot*

I think it's more a question of which service is considered not "the real military." I think the AF and Coasties get that more than the rest. Of course the Marines do like to say that they appreciate the Navy, since they give them a lift to do the real fighting.

I used to hate those Navy taxi's!

***for all those of the non military be it known we all like to bust each others chops, they are all important....

....its just they all know the Marines are the best and they all secretively want to be one!***

You never told him that deposit is non-refundable .... You never told him that deposit is a refundable I don't think he can do anything to you via paypal .

In all honesty, I'd probably punch him in the face and steal his girl after I forced him, through intimidation, to buy the wheels... at a marked up rate.

but that's just me

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
    Which military is the real military?

*stirs pot*
    LOL, I just remember the Marines guarding our gates for us...they had nothing else to do. The Navy is also augmenting for Army and Marines in the Gulf, you will never see a Marine or Army clown sub in for a Sailor. As for the AF, they have the option to deploy, not really military as far as I am concerned.

(add some salt to that pot)

We just had a kid buy a car on Craigslist, he western unioned 4500 to a guy that of course never showed. Dummy. He tried to go to legal to get help, he had no info, just a name and a craigslist ad and a phone # we can only assume is a stolen cell. No comforting from us (Chiefs), just a smack in the head and a "don't be stupid, it even says at the top to NEVER send money via western union"

Now back to the thread.

Im Army and I dont think he will get far with JAG. I am a SGT E5. I have personaly had something similar happen to one of my guys. He took a deposit and the guy never came. a month later he shows up and wants his money back. All through paypal. Bother were service members and it was handles internally, but it came down to My guy kept the money. I think this guy needs a lesson, but it understandable that you dont want to drag this out. Just want it over right. If you know his full name and his unit. You can find out really quick who is chain of command is. it will be handled very quickly too. But if they think he deserves his money back....they will show hik every trick in the book to get it back. He sounds like a dead beat to me. Service Member or not, you should have better values than this guy. Ha who the hell thinks a deposit is refundable?