Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hood scoop

Hood scoop

Anybody working on a hood scoop? I know this was started long ago, but I have not seen anything lately. A hood scoop would be sweet, er, wait, my kids tell me a 47 year old guy should not say 'sweet'.

n1 was working with a company that was gonna prototype one, but he fell ill and has been recovering for some time time. A few others have already gone through with it and tried some things. Maybe some of them can ring in on this.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Any new status on this? Anybody out there working on a hood scoop mod?

I believe Rickster has a cool hood scoop. I can't speak for him as far as prototyping for anyone but you can ask. His is really cool...

I thought Rickster's was a contoured insert he had fabricated but not a scoop (?). Green Dragon has an extractor-type scoop. I believe Joe_Black is mulling over working out some sort of extractor as well but hasn't progressed beyond toying with the idea in his head yet.

I think Albert just brought over one or two prototypes of the CF hood insert before he was injured and fell ill.

I'm communicating with a few fab shops about an extraction-style insert that will either be totally CF or just a modified stock insert with the vents and a layer of CF for appearance. I'm looking at this primarily for myself but have the ultimate aim of sharing the info and perhaps working a group deal with whatever shop I choose to do the work. I've got a lot going on so this is not a priority for me but I will post info as the project progresses as I'm looking at getting other items fabbed or coated as well for the VX.

Ideally Albert will get back on the scene soon, but I doubt we'll see him for a few months due to the extent of his injuries and illness. The deal he had worked would probably be less $$$, but considering he was injured during his international move then got SARS means he probably hasn't even had a chance to settle in and get stuff like internet access and other amenities even set up yet.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

What if we take the stock insert specifications and sizes and then make the insert with a scoop.
    How about all vehixers pitch inn with design ideas and then we search together for the cheapest manufacturer. What if could manufacture it in Russia? That would be cheaper; And than we would ship it to the US but it would have to be of considerable quantity I guess.
    What do you guys think?
    Ironman

A lot of things depend on what you really want. Do you want complete CF, just the look, a functional extraction vent, just some kinda ricer scoop, glossy finish or matte etc.? Producing a good CF part is expensive as it requires not only a mold but oven-curing as well. I don't mind just getting existing components such as the insert coated with a layer of CF as they're all non-structural. I'd love to have good cured pre-preg CF parts, but that's just not realistic for the quantities that would actually sell.

Albert had a line on a shop in China that did decent work for a fair price. But with shipping I think the insert he was working on was still like $500+ to the west coast. I'm pretty certain that's going to be hard to beat domestically for a complete CF part and will be getting close to that price for just coating existing parts. If I can get a local shop to do work for a reasonable price I may acquire a set of parts to get coated and then sell on a exchange basis. In other words, you'd send me your good parts in exchange for a set of CF coated parts. Depending on shipping choices this minimizes your down-time and I've got a fresh set to get coated for the next buyer.

In any case, I'm doing something for myself and hopefully everyone can benefit from it.

I, too, will be getting into the hood insert thing. I've already got the spare insert on hand ready to be dropped off at a local shop that I've been corresponding with for a while. My goal is to get a carbon-fiber version from them and another version with a built-in heat extractor as well. I'm hoping to be able to have a part made simulateously with my other new parts pending.

Ideally, would've taken on the fabrication of the carbon-fiber version insert myself. But, since I've got so much going on these days, I figured I'll have someone else get dirtied up for a change allowing me to focus on the development of future parts for the VX. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress of that part once I drop it off.
    For custom VehiCross skidplates and accessories, check out:
    www.aftershockproducts.com

Cool! Depending on final look, I'll take two (maybe three).

Thumbs up

Definitely something I'd be interested in!

I'm definitely in, since I spent a few hours last night just trying to design one I liked on paper. :-)

I'm in for the heat extractor version if it isn't garish.

Hey Ron,

I'm in.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

hey ron I am deffinately in!