Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed on current realistic prices on the VXs

Advice needed on current realistic prices on the VXs

So I gather most of you guys here look out for the VXs for sale and I'd very much like to get some feedback from you.

I've been contemplating getting a VX for a while now and was never closer to it than now. I'd like to get one with clear title/history and not much more than 100k miles on the odo in a sound mechanical condition (don't care about the radio or windows problems, but don't want any rust).

My expectations that I can find one on the west coast (or maybe AZ) for $5k-$7k, however most of the VXs I've seen for sale outside this forum either had major mechanical issues or accidents in history, even at higher price.

Do you think it's realistic to find a decent car in that price range?

I found my current car on CL in California and been mainly looking at CL for the VX as well. Any pointers to other places it makes sense to check for the cars in that price range (looks like autotrader and ebay attracts sellers of the more expensive cars) will be appreciated.

I've been following them for over a year, and most that do sell on ebay ARE in the $5k - $8k sell price. There's been a $13k+ just last month and a $15,000 close to a year ago, but can't recall many others up that high. A few $8k here and there.

Try this site mash, it searches CL, ebay and Kijijji, all at once. There's another combo search one that also does autotrader etc....I'll look that one up.
    http://www2.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.c...mit=++++go++++
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by stangri View Post
    So I gather most of you guys here look out for the VXs for sale and I'd very much like to get some feedback from you.

I've been contemplating getting a VX for a while now and was never closer to it than now. I'd like to get one with clear title/history and not much more than 100k miles on the odo in a sound mechanical condition (don't care about the radio or windows problems, but don't want any rust).

My expectations that I can find one on the west coast (or maybe AZ) for $5k-$7k, however most of the VXs I've seen for sale outside this forum either had major mechanical issues or accidents in history, even at higher price.

Do you think it's realistic to find a decent car in that price range?

I found my current car on CL in California and been mainly looking at CL for the VX as well. Any pointers to other places it makes sense to check for the cars in that price range (looks like autotrader and ebay attracts sellers of the more expensive cars) will be appreciated.
    Keep your eyes peeled on the forums...

There are more than a few members here who regularly post when another VX hits the market.
    It's rare when there is a VX for sale that someone around here hasn't posted about.

Take your time, "the one" will show up eventually...

Welcome to the forums...

I found mine just browsing craigslist looking for another Rodeo. Got her for $4K with 130K miles but in good shape, has it's little nit picky stuff here and there (mine has a sunroof and the sunroof door carpet is loose and the headliner is dirty, the stupid spare tire cover screws, stuff like that) but nothing major at all. You'll find the right one!
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

Keep in mind there's a big difference between asking price and final sales price with most of these VX's, and unlike on eBay, you don't know what a CL-listed VX actually sold for. Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of dealerships now use CL as a storefront, so their prices will be greatly inflated to allow negotiating room.

As others have said, be patient and watch the forum closely as we usually try to help new buyers out.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of dealerships now use CL as a storefront, so their prices will be greatly inflated to allow negotiating room.
    ...or, to allow them to take you for as much money as they possibly can, if you're too excited and stupid to negotiate as I was...

I bought mine from a forum member. They usually seem to be the most genuine about any issues with their trucks and noone seems to be out to make a ton of money off of an uninformed buyer. Besides, they know that other members on here will call them out for an overpriced truck or one with a history of issues!

Which one did you get? Not the one from Memphis I assume now

VX KAT -- thank you, I knew you possessed some hidden knowledge you've used on your quest to find roof rack.

Bob -- I totally agree, I would have preferred to buy a truck from a forum member, however none seem to be selling on the west coast.

To everyone else who has replied -- thank you very much, your replies and warm welcomes proved I'm on the right forum.

A year or so ago I was offered $20k CASH for mine, FWIW. Might change the equation a bit if you counted that.

No joke, an older Russian man and his wife I ran into at a local Starbucks. We had a nice little conversation and he always wanted one. Wanted to take it back to Russia with him. He talked about it as if it were a numbers-matching, aluminum body, 427 Cobra or something.

Good luck in your search.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

You mean non-sequent bills in a briefcase cash-like cash? This couple wasn't among the ones recently on the news, was it?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    A year or so ago I was offered $20k CASH for mine, FWIW. Might change the equation a bit if you counted that.

No joke, an older Russian man and his wife I ran into at a local Starbucks. We had a nice little conversation and he always wanted one. Wanted to take it back to Russia with him. He talked about it as if it were a numbers-matching, aluminum body, 427 Cobra or something.

Wow, seems like our Russian friends have a cash printing machine somewhere....bought Vehigaz's and exported it there just for the supercharger, and a couple other similar instances, now this story....I'm jealous! But really skews our value estimates!

And you didn't take them up on it? I'd sell it and walk home nekked in the snow for that kind of money. I could find another one easily and still have plenty to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post

Quote Originally Posted by samneil2000 View Post
    And you didn't take them up on it? I'd sell it and walk home nekked in the snow for that kind of money. I could find another one easily and still have plenty to boot.
    What he said!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Shoot is there some kind of russian ebay I can advertise on???? I would sell mine and buy a new one with plenty of cash left over!