Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Possible source of new CV shafts...

Possible source of new CV shafts...

Thanks to Allen (BigMeatVX) who threw me this bit of info for my probing of new CV shafts. EMPI has a new line of CV's that include Isuzu applications. They do not have a VX specific app but with our sharing of other Zu parts this should not be a problem. I am going to check on price/availability of these.
    Now with that said what do we know for a fact is interchangable? I know there are Trooper and Rodeo's but exactly what years? I have heard 95+ Troops and 98-01 Rodeo's...does that sound right?
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I know BigSwede says he is positive the 95+ Troopers will swap out but you'd probably need the inner "stub" axle part where the inner ball assembly is snapped into to be sure. I wonder if EMPI's will be any stronger than the other aftermarket CV's out there. I talked to a guy awhile back (will need to find his info) that owns a company that builds custom shafts for offroad/high HP applications and he said he could do some for my old Rodeo when I had it, just need to send him the axle but he couldn't guarantee it being bulletproof or anything because of the CV angles and what not on different vehicles but they are "supposed" to be stronger than stock. Not sure how legit it was/is though
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

I replaced mine a few years ago and they are off of a junked Passport (98 or 99) that had less than 40k miles on it.

They were perfectly, but I just found out last week that the 'premium' Warn hubs do not fit on these. The cheaper Superwinch hubs fit just fine, but the end of the axle (the notched section) is not long enough. I don't have my original axles, so I don't know if there was a difference or not... could just be that the Warn hubs were the wrong part number.
    ________
    MARIJUANA VAPORIZER
    Last edited by phines : 05/02/2011 at 02:38 PM

Good to know, did you replace the whole shaft including the "stub" portion or just undid the ball/cage portion from the Rodeo and put it in your VX cup?

I've got a set from the boneyard. They are not complete (missing pieces that the axle shop 'borrowed' to rebuild my CVs). They should be useful for a shop to determine interchangeability tho. If needed, lemme know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

EMPI has been a manufacturer of performance vdub parts for many years...baja bugs, vw drag cars, sand rails. They make quality stuff. From their description they sound well built. If the prices are fair and I can find them I'll be the guinea pig!

Billy look at the 98-04 Toy LC/lexas LX470 CVs...those are the ones Im upgrading to....WAY bigger and stronger....

Quote Originally Posted by RamAirZ View Post
    I know BigSwede says he is positive the 95+ Troopers will swap out but you'd probably need the inner "stub" axle part where the inner ball assembly is snapped into to be sure. I wonder if EMPI's will be any stronger than the other aftermarket CV's out there. I talked to a guy awhile back (will need to find his info) that owns a company that builds custom shafts for offroad/high HP applications and he said he could do some for my old Rodeo when I had it, just need to send him the axle but he couldn't guarantee it being bulletproof or anything because of the CV angles and what not on different vehicles but they are "supposed" to be stronger than stock. Not sure how legit it was/is though
    Sure the'll work, but be aware there ARE small differnces....ones that are not noticable untill you try and use a VX axle and Balls in a Rodeo/Trooper outer....wont fit....

Have a good look at the empi catalog...they list demensions of EACH part....you can see the differences yourselves...

There are alot (guys with machine shops) of ways to upgrade the axles and CVs on the Isuzus, but they are all costly

Quote Originally Posted by BigMeatVX View Post
    Sure the'll work, but be aware there ARE small differnces....ones that are not noticable untill you try and use a VX axle and Balls in a Rodeo/Trooper outer....wont fit....

The ball problem is 100% correct. As I have posted before, the Zus have several CVs, beyond the short medium and long. There is also 2 "cup" sizes as well as the random tri-ball style. I managed to frankenstein a set out of a bag of CVs. I took the cups off of the shafts off of a shorter CV and found a long one with the same spline count to fit. No problems. Just a PITA in the dark, rain, and in a campground. It is possible though. I still wheel it, and that is with a locker. It fit perfect.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Isuzu has a multitude of different CV combos lol, why couldn't they just keep everything the same? But still, yes it's more work, but knowing you can drop your axle and install new CV's should be a "blessing" to some. And if you install a Rodeo "cup" it'd make finding junkyard cv's that much easier.

Yep....I did the same thing...used a bunch of differnt ones and made it work....and ran em for a long time untill I snapped an outer cage while PURPOSELY lead-footin it on the last day at Moab...

After that"".I snagged both CVs out of my low mile parts VX and am now running the OEM correct-fit ones....

The outer CV that I busted was off a Trooper or Rodeo and Had smaller balls,star and cage...Than the OEM VX ones

The problem I had yrs before, was that the cup on the VX inner driver side shaft is BIGGER than the rest of the Isuzus at my local wrecking yards...and the ones that were right had a axle dis-connect built in...so the shaft was way short/wrong....

Hey, I said the 95+ Trooper CVs were the same length as a VX...no guarantees about anything else.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Quote Originally Posted by BigMeatVX View Post
    Billy look at the 98-04 Toy LC/lexas LX470 CVs...those are the ones Im upgrading to....WAY bigger and stronger....
    Are these a "direct" replacement or will modifications be needed? I am looking for something that will drop right in. Also will it be compatible with the Asin hubs?

He's talking about upgrading to the LC spindles and custom spindles in another thread, so no, I don't think they would be a direct swap lol.

After further digging here is some info I found...
    From a web search I found that the Cardone brand CV axle part # for the VX is 60-1310. On the EMPI site I cross referenced that part# to their part# and came up with 80-1039 (complete axle including inner joint-long side). The same axle without the inner joint (**use old inner on long side or for short side) the part# is 80-3619. These part# reference to the 96-02 Troopers. **Accordind to the EMPI site the long and short side axles are the same length with the long side adding the inner joint. I checked and the EMPI shafts are available through BAP auto parts...1039 is $95 and the 3619 is $90.

Allen, since you have been doing a lot of delving into the CV delemma...do these part numbers sound right to you? I may be ordering a set this week if so.